Author Topic: solved accuracy problem and misfires  (Read 621 times)

Offline diego naveira

• Trade Count: (0)
solved accuracy problem and misfires
« on: November 24, 2011, 09:42:40 AM »
Of course it was not me but a competent gunsmith.

Misfires: just removed the hammer extension spur. It seems that it afected speed in some way. As long as I can mount the hammer without that accesory, Iīm fine. I could fire all the rounds that previously couldnīt.

Accuracy: Apparently the barrell/action fitting had some looseness even with the action closed. That made that in every shot made, that looseness affected accuracy of course. What the gunsmith did was giving a very slight curvature, almost invisible, to the pin that attaches the barrell to the action in order to give some backwards preassure to the barrell. That preassure produced then a perfect match between the  barrell and the action. Now there is no more barrell movement and the .308 loads that previusly grouped in more than 5 inches at 150 metres, now make beautyfull inch and a half groups. The load is 41.5 grains of 3031 pushing a 165 grains corelockt.

Saludos for everybody.

Diego Naveira

Offline Plenty Coups

• Plenty Coups Archery
Re: solved accuracy problem and misfires
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 10:23:15 AM »
Nice to know. Thanks.
"Diplomacy is the art of saying nice doggy while finding a rock"- Will Rogers

Offline .Dirty-.30

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 01:42:38 PM »
Hammer spur: a buddy had the same problem with a T/C, took it off and no more trouble. As said above a good thing to know!   .DT

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 03:57:29 PM »
If the weight of the extension is enough to cause light firing pin strikes, perhaps a mainspring upgrade is in order!

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 05:27:17 PM »
Sounds like he heated the hinge pin on the receiver and bent it slightly toward the breech face to snug it up.  Talk about ever so slight, and it wouldn't take much to go too far.

He sure must know what he's doing!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline diego naveira

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 02:00:50 AM »
Thatīs exactly what he did !!!! benting the hinge pin towards the breech face. With the bare eye, you cannot notice the job.