Author Topic: H&R Break Action: OK for Steel Shot?  (Read 1414 times)

Offline flmason

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
H&R Break Action: OK for Steel Shot?
« on: November 24, 2011, 11:37:53 AM »
Anyone know the official line on the Pardner break actions and steel shot?

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: H&R Break Action: OK for Steel Shot?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 01:16:29 PM »
As far as I understand it's a bad idea to use steel shot in a fixed choke barrel.  I know you can use it with the screw out choke versions like my turkey gun if you buy steel safe chokes.  Maybe someone else will confirm this for sure.  8(
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline McDerry

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 08:50:56 AM »
The only advantage you get with the screw in choke is that when it does get damaged and/or worn out it can be changed.  Steel shot will eventually damage a barrel no matter who makes it.   

The newer break barrels are steel shot capable. 

Offline Yak Angler

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 02:20:53 PM »
I called H&R few years ago about my 12 gauge full choke. For what its worth they advised # 2 steel and smaller was ok. I put many rounds through it during waterfowl season , all steel loads with no damage to the barrel, never shot larger than # 2 as they recommended.

Offline xd45nut

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 07:28:25 AM »
So I take it the BB shot I have been shooting through my Mod. choke pardner is a bad thing.

It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Yak Angler

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 10:22:52 AM »
So I take it the BB shot I have been shooting through my Mod. choke pardner is a bad thing.

No BB in modified chokes are fine. the fixed full choke guns are only recommended to use size # 2 and smaller.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 03:36:32 AM »
I have read a bunch about how steel shot will eventually peen the bore/choke on anything, but I have NO experience. My thoughts are that it may take a good many shots to find out. Since these are not high priced doubles or collectables, use what you want and 'IF' it every becomes a problem just get another. Just MHO.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974