Author Topic: frame stretch?  (Read 868 times)

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
frame stretch?
« on: November 24, 2011, 05:59:29 PM »
I have read somewhere that the handi frames stretch a little between 500-1000 shots.  Is this true or just another case of someone spewing misinformation?   I have several of the handis with not that high of a round count through them yet and am sending in my new 308 for some repairs and was going to have a 45/70 fitted to it.  I just am not looking forward to have to try refitting the barrels in the near future if that is ture.  thanks

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: frame stretch?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 06:12:55 PM »
My opinion is that this is just bunk being spread by a non-handi owner / shooter.  At 500 - 1,000 rounds it should just be shooting to it's best, the barrel just being well polished.  500 rounds of excessively heavy handloads can stretch a frame, but properly assembled and tuned loads, or factory loads, will not stretch the frames.  (Having a 308 on an SB-1 frame will likely also cause frame stretch)
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 06:19:58 PM »
My 2004 7mm-08 got loose on its factory fit frame, at some point, I do not know why or what happened to cause it, although I did do some extensive load testing trying to get it to shoot well. But I just slide a .004 piece of shim stock in and it locks up like fort knox. Still use it and it is more accurate than ever with the load recipe I got here at GBO late this summer. That one is the only one I ever bought new in the box and the only one that "changed" in fit. I can't say its frame stretched but something shifted. My OLD topper 30-30 has had way more rounds through it and it is still tight as can be. All my other Handis are fine..... So I would have to say that myth is busted if it were up to my findings.
thejanitor

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 01:58:53 AM »
Putting a 308 barrel on Sb1 frame will probably kill you
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 04:33:28 AM »
I just am not looking forward to have to try refitting the barrels in the near future if that is ture.  thanks
Use a little care while fitting the barrel to the pin in the frame and keep a little lube on that area,,
(I like a little Anti-Seize grease type)
,, and you should be fine for years to come.
 ;)
Anyone can abuse any gun into improper fit, the Handi is no different nor is it unique in it's ability too avoid abuse.

I keep my stretched Handi frames with my 2x4 stretcher and Sky hooks.
found elsewhere

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 05:00:31 AM »
I agree you just need a very slight amount of grease on the hinge pin so as to have a layer of lube between two metal surfaces that make contact and cause wear.

It's just more about the metal to metal contact (peening I believe they call it) and WEAR that are the problem and not stretch.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 05:10:11 AM »
I don't believe in "stretched" SB2 frames either, aside from wear which is generally caused by abuse and not lubing the pivot, underlug setback does cause loose barrels too, the lack of surface area at the pivot is prone to setback if enough heavy loads are used over time. The previous owner of my 300 Win short mag barrel(rechambered 308Win) shot 5 boxes of 300WSM factory loads thru the barrel and it never did hurt the frame, he had a companion barrel, 280 Rem IIRC, he used on it also which wasn't loose after the 300WSM shot loose which is pretty good evidence of the frame's durability and not "stretching", the same can't be said about the underlug tho.  :-\

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 06:22:38 AM »
If stretching were the case also, then you would have a whole lot of pivot pins becomming loose and falling out also, and I haven't heard of that happening yet.   ;D
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline D Humbarger

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 06:33:52 AM »
We all know the hinge pin should be lightly lubed so why does the barrel latch need to be dry with absolutley NO lubrication?  ???   Seems if it were lightly lubed also the barrel would lock up tighter.
Try to look unimportant.   Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Only Handi so far is a 375 JDJ.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 06:44:55 AM »
What oil or grease does is form a barrier between the two metal surfaces and this cushions them so there is no metal to metal contact, sort of like placing ball bearings between the two and they slide thus reducing wear.

You don't want that with the latch, and since the latch moves slightly on the latch shelf anyway, you want friction there and for it to have a tight fit with no oil in between the two metal surfaces.  Any excessive movement in this area will effect accuracy.

That is why you notice the polished bright area where the latch and latch shelf make contact with each other and if it's even all the way across then that is a good thing.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 08:35:20 AM »
What Jim said, the design is dependent on friction to work properly, add oil or solvent residue and all bets are off.

Also be aware that SB2 frames do have some flex in the action, specifically most likely the weak link which is the  barrel catch pin, it's too small and not supported close to the catch, a larger pin with better support would help a lot. The evidence of this flex can be seen by the barrel to frame gap after shooting warm to hot loads and the hard to press barrel release when opening the action after the shot.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline keith44

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 08:43:04 AM »
I use "dri-slide" graphite lubricant VERY SPARINGLY on the catch on the underside of the barrel, but only after I see a wear pattern.  Since the hottest thing I shoot is the .45-70 running mid power lever action loads I can't recommend the same for more intense loads.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 05:55:38 PM »
I've shot some monster loads in my SB2 framed Buffalo Classics - neither has had an stretching.  However the underlug on my 45-120 has peened a little where it contacts the frame's cross pin.  ...which has caused it to loosen a little.  I've since remedied it by having my uncle heat treat harden the front of the lug at his machine shop.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 03:03:11 AM »
Thanks again for all the info.  I am glad I asked the question, I have not been putting any kind of lube on the hinge pin but will be now.   

Offline murphdog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 04:56:05 AM »
I have an SB2 frame fitted with 44mag, 223rem, and 20ga.  Round count is about 2500 44spcl and/or 44mag, 1000 223, and several hundred 20 gauge.  So far no evidence of frame stretch or loosening with any of the barrels.  I do use grease on the hinge pin. 
Duane