Author Topic: Might be a good time to use E85 if your car will take it  (Read 295 times)

Offline Conan The Librarian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • McDonalds. Blecch!
Might be a good time to use E85 if your car will take it
« on: November 25, 2011, 04:54:59 AM »
I noticed that the price of E85 was 20% below the cost of E10 (normal unleaded here). That might make it worth it to use instead of E10. Mileage drops with E85 vs E10 that I've seen is that it's up to a 30% drop, but mostly it's a 10 to 20 % drop, depending on the kind of car. With the air being drier here now, there's less water that will be collected by the alcohol in the E85.

Offline chefjeff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Might be a good time to use E85 if your car will take it
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 05:38:06 AM »
Don't run it in your two strokes.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Might be a good time to use E85 if your car will take it
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 06:05:55 AM »
Not knowing about E-85, I stopped for gas one night in N. Dakota.  Got half a tank of E-85.  With in 10 minutes of leaving the station my car started coughing and missing bad.  The check engine light came on, and I got concerned.  Here I am out in the middle of no where in N. Dakota in the Middle of the night.  Car acting up and I don't have a clue as to the problem.  Crusing speed dropped from 80 to 65, caar would not go over 65 period.  I kept going till I reached 1/2 tank, pulled off the road intending to get fresh fuel.  If I let the RPMs drop below 4,000 the engine would stop.  I pulled in filled up with High Test.  Had a hard time restarting the engine, but once I got it going again not letting it drop below 4K I pulled back out on the high way.  Five miles down the highway the check engine light went out.  Another five miles and the engine smoothed out and once again had pep.  I punched it and was at 100mph real quick like normal.  Reset cruise at 80 and went on south.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.