Author Topic: Reloading questions for CCW  (Read 2131 times)

Offline Shortgun

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Reloading questions for CCW
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2011, 01:27:22 PM »
Who is gonna know if you are usin reloads? You gonna tell them? Shut up and shoot or shoot and shut up. Most LEO's can not tell a reload from a factory load. Even if it is loaded with cast lead bullets. There are plenty of those on the market. My guns are sighted for my ammo and shootin factory ammo that the sites are not regulated for would be foolish and most likely dangerous if ya can't hit what ya shootin at. If you are a careful reloader your homemade ammo will be just as reliable as the factory fodder. Practicing with reloads and then carrying factory loads can get ya in trouble if the two loads don't shoot to the same place and they most likely won't.
All is not lost to the savy reloader however as it is not all that difficult to construct ammo that matches the performance and accuracy of the factory if ya know how to do it.
I have carried my handloads in my ccw guns for 40 + years with out any concern that there will be any issues created by their use should I have to pull the trigger on a bad guy. Ther are much more pressing issues to consider when a confrontation comes down to that

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2011, 01:54:29 AM »
 Getting back to the original post, I reload for both of my .380's. One is a Bersa Thunder and the other is the Kel-Tec. I typically use cast RN but have used cast truncated cone as well. Both fed well. As in any Semi-Auto OAL is important, as is minimum power levels. Too light will not cycle the action properly, but you probably already know that. My personal recipe is 3.0 gr of AA#2, but it seems to me I've used Bullseye as well,  I'm not sure.
 My handloads are for range use only, for carry I use Hydra-Shoks in the Bersa and Golden Sabers in the K-T. I'll not comment on the legal aspect of reloads since I'm no lawyer and it's been beaten to death already.
 Cast bullets are a great way to save money and increase your practice time, and reloading the .380 is very staightforward. With a 3 gr powder charge you'll get over 2300 rounds out of a pound of powder. The worse part about reloading for any auto is recovering your brass, the KT has a top eject that tends to launch the empty cases high in the air and it's easy to lose them. The Bersa has a side eject but it's not much better.
GH1 :)

I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline flatlander

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2012, 02:17:30 PM »
For a quick update, I after checking out all 3 models, I bought a Taurus 738 TCP. It's a blast to shoot and is reasonable accurate. I started pricing cast bullets, and decided that I can shoot a heck of a lot more if I reload cast, especially in 380. Around here, 380s run $15-20 a box, and I can reload for $5 if I don't lose too much brass when I shoot. Bullets were something like $48/1000. Even if I keep some factory jacketed bullets around to carry, the little pocket 380 is so fun to shoot, I will take it out a lot more for that price. Range time this weekend to try out my initial loads.  8)

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2012, 03:45:36 PM »
Good buy.
It looks like others are worried about how the 380 will proform.
Grab an old coat you are about to throw out.
Get a piece of 1/2" ply wood and make a manaquin.
Staple a couple layers of old carpet to it.
And duct tape either a water mellon or a pumpkin to the board
Stick an old t-Shirt over it and a coat.
Stand back a few feet and shoot, shoot different ammo through and see what pops out what opens and what does not.  See what damage is done to the water mellon or pumpkin,  It will tell you what ammo you are going to carry in the gun or if you are going to go bigger.
A few years ago I was involved in a steel shoot every month and was surprised at how effecticve my 380 was when compared to a 2" 38 Special.  The 130 grain 38's would NOT move a steel and swing it.  The 90 grain 380 FMJ would swing the steel easily.
The more you shoot the gun the better you are going to be with it and the more confidant you are carrying it.

Offline flatlander

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2012, 03:12:09 AM »
I'd read a few things online where people had complained about the snappy recoil of the tiny 380s, but in all honesty, I didn't find it unpleasant at all. I was planning to shoot my TCP enough to stay proficient, but with the cost of cast and the recoil levels, I am going to shoot a lot more just for the fun of it.