Author Topic: Single or Turret?  (Read 1147 times)

Offline fishtracker

• Trade Count: (0)
Single or Turret?
« on: November 26, 2011, 12:53:52 PM »
I have a old and cheap standard single press that is crapping out.  But, it will make a nice designated priming press for the bench.  I dont want to start a discussion about brands, but want to see if one would suite me better.  I dont reload much compared to many of you, but I do reload slowly and precisely for accuracy.  My calibers are .260 Rem, .270, and .300 Weatherby Mag.  I am leaning towards either a Lee Classic Cast single, or a Lee Classic Turret.  With the turret, I can leave the all of my dies in the the turret, and never remove them.  That sounds good for consistency.  But, single stage presses generally get the nod for long range shooters.  So, I guess that my question is, for a guy working up a few loads for accuracy, and not for speed, is a single or a turret better?  Thanks everyone.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Single or Turret?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 01:08:36 PM »
I have had a couple turret presses.... I much prefer the single stage or a full progressive...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 01:57:37 PM »
Single stage presses are more rigid than turrets.  I use RCBS Rockchuckers for my heavy work and my Lyman turrets for expanding, seating and crimping.  The handy thing with the turrets is you can leave seating or other dies set in one position for repetitive proceedures.

As I have been doing this a long time and have accumalated "stuff" over the years, my suggestion would be to start with the best single stage press you can afford and go from there.  I promise if you really like this affliction your press inventory will not stop here.

Ken
NRA Life Member

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 02:21:45 PM »
You hit that one outta the park....

I have three RCBS's, one Pacfic, One Redding, one Foster and two Lymans under my bench.... ::)  But  RCBS Ammo master, Dillon 550 and a Lee cheapo for priming ON THE BENCH!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 03:00:33 AM »
Like you, I'm a low volume shooter more into accuracy.  My first press (in '65) was a Lyman turret; I learned to load on it and learned the methods that compensate for the lack of ridigity.  Eventually I swallowed the RCBS hype and got Rock Chucker  in '88; it's much bigger, stronger than my old turret but my ammo didn't improve a bit.  I do think it's easier to load well on a single stage but there really isn't an automatic difference if it's done properly.

Your choice of the Lee Classic Cast single or Classic Turret will do you very well.  My young friend's CC is at least as strong as my RC, it may be more accurately machined, it has a spent primer catchers that works, the handle is fully adjustable for side, length and angle; if I had to replace my old RC next week that's what I'd get.  If you do, use the money saved to buy a Sinclair concentricity gage so you can actually see what you're making and then find where any error is coming in.  And it won't be from the press!   :)
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline fishtracker

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 04:41:41 PM »
Thanks for your $.02.  But, one question still remains for me.  Does a single stage press result in more accurate reloads than a turret? 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 04:54:29 PM »
I use a Lee Classic Turret (4-hole), loads plenty accurate ammo for me, used a Lee Classic Cast before, no complaints after switching.  ;)

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline smokehouserex

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 05:25:54 PM »

Hello fishtracker:
  I'm sure a lot of the members on here have loaded a lot more than I. I'm also sure they have not had much more pleasure than I have doing it.  Each has given you some good and useful info. I have a few presses and always wanted a progressive loader but could not justify the expense so I have the less expensive styles. An old lyman spar-t, a ch armory h-press and a Rock Chucker. The H press for short or pistol and the RC for the longer rifle rounds. One style works as good as the other, as described.
  I used a Lee reloading system for my 40XBBR in 222rem. which is all done without a press, when shooting BR matches in the early 70's. Never a champion just a participant but it was fun.
  Buy the best that you can justify/afford, they will all reload, but if I could only have one it would be a RCBS/RC.
  I bought it as a combo in 1970 and it cost 49.00 with a set of dies, IIRC. It has been flawless, just keep the powder residue cleaned and a small amount of lube and I think you will not wear it out. This is my take on reloading presses. I do not like any of the primer tubes that I have used that are press mounted, I like the lee type hand held types the best. JMO
  safety first
  HM

Offline wncchester

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 02:05:25 AM »
 Thanks for your $.02.  But, one question still remains for me.  Does a single stage press result in more accurate reloads than a turret?"   

The answer remains before you: "...it's easier to load well on a single stage but there really isn't an automatic difference if it's done properly."

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 05:34:30 AM »
Thanks for your $.02.  But, one question still remains for me.  Does a single stage press result in more accurate reloads than a turret?

In the two turrets I own I found both to have too much flex for my taste. Yes I could tighten the turret and eliminate 90% but then it would not rotate. The stupid screw post in back of the Lyman's for support simply looks " hacked" to my eye.

I like a "0" frame single stage press. The bigger the better. Thats why I have had a Ammo master on my bench for over a dozen years. It's big beefy and works wonderfully.

Is it really more accurate, I like to think so. I'll tell you this I have the confidence to say out of hundreds of firearms I have loaded for I have never once not been able to "beat" factory load accuracy. One old 35 rem pump came close, but presistance and my ammo master prevailed.

Of your choices I would go with the classic cast hands down.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline mbopp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 12:07:44 PM »
I'm with CW on this for the reasons he stated. My rifle and Contender ammo get loaded on the Rockchucker. The 38, 357 and 45ACP go on the Lyman turret.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government, lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." -- Patrick Henry, American Patriot

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 02:06:26 PM »
I must go with the crowd on this one, Rock Chucker since '68 on the rifle loads, turret on handguns. I can put the 357 & 44 3 die sets both in the turret and forget it. The single stage I use for one thing at a time, I think the focus helps,  resize/deprime one night, trim if needed and prime the next, charge and load on the 3rd. I can do about 100 cases a night on rifles, probably 2X or a little more pistol loads. I usually only load sporadically, mostly during bad weather. I may spend 2-3 weeks loading like crazy then not do another for 6 months. I have to be in the mood.
remember the starfish

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 03:49:53 PM »
I use a RCBS Jr "O" style press--and if I had it to do all over I would have spent a little more  (in 1972) and bought the Rock Crusher--I also use a Lyman turret press but only for pistol calibers--not rigid enough IMO for rifle. To answer your question--if only having one press, and going for accuracy in my reloads--go with a "O" style press. Good luck.

cybin

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 12:28:27 AM »
theroreticaly yes in reality no. Unless your shooting bench rest competion and your looking to shave .01 off your group size youll never see the differnce. Personaly ive never seen the big deal about turrents. My first press was a lyman tmag turnent and i had a lyman american too but anymore a guy can buy a hornady lock and load single stage and swap dies near as fast as you can turn a turrent and if you factor in having to screw all the dies in to swap calibers its probably faster. they also sell a conversion that will change about any single stage press to lock and load. Personaly if im was going to step up from a single stage press to something faster. Id save a bit longer and buy a 550 dillon.
Thanks for your $.02.  But, one question still remains for me.  Does a single stage press result in more accurate reloads than a turret?"   

The answer remains before you: "...it's easier to load well on a single stage but there really isn't an automatic difference if it's done properly."
blue lives matter

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 02:40:00 AM »

You seem to not want a brand name discussion but the reality is a better single stage press will give better ammo than a less expensive turrent press and just the opposite can be true. The dies also can play a part. A single stage press seems less busy with nothing on top to distract or get in the way. There is no extra bolt to loosen or get out of adjustment.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline wncchester

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 05:26:52 PM »
"You seem to not want a brand name discussion"

That's true, and for a valid reason.  Lots of us hold strong opinions, mostly based on limited personal experence and, in some instances, predijuces without sound reasons.  Many inexperienced people ask "what's the best xxxx" and many with little more experience stand in line to express what their favorte is.  But I've never found any reason to presume a brand, per se, actually makes much difference.  Most brands make multipule presses and they vary by model more than by brand.  And that includes both cast iron and steel presses plus some made of alumimum alloys.  With the experience of some 45+ years of loading and measuring press deflection, loaded ammo run out, etc, I am yet to find any press that cannot load about as well as any other, and that includes my very old Lyman Spar-T turret that has horrible springing!  With the same dies and components, we can use the proper methods and can load well on any press; use lousy methods and we can't load well on any press.

MANY condemn Lee presses as "cheap pot metal junk" as a knee-jerk reaction without knowledge.  And they don't know, or ignore, the fact that Hornady's poplular LnL presses, some RCBS presses and Dillon's highly regarded progressive presses are alum alloy, nor does their mistake consider that Lee's Classic Cast and Classic Turret presses do have steel and iron bodies/linkages.  Therefore, blanket proclaimations that one brand is better - or worse - than another is false.  We would all do much better if we recognise that the proper choice for purchasing any press is the way it will be used, not it's color.

Fact is, I've actually tested the spring of two of Lee's smallest alum. presses, Reloader "C" type,  and both spring much less under identical loads than my Rock Chucker.  The Lee's clearly aren't as strong as the green iron beast but within their stress limits the 'weak' alum alloy C presses ARE stiffer!  And 'everyone knows' it's easier to load quality ammo on a stiff press, right?  If alum alloy is "cheap pot metal" then it must include our scope tubes, most current bolt rifle's bottom metal, a lot of high grade handgun frames, the entire actions of most black rifles, all airplanes and missiles, many boats and all boat motors, etc.   But surely any rational person knows none of that's true and they should know it's not true of alum alloy presses.

Bottom line; good dies, good components and good loading methods make a LOT of difference in the quality of our ammo but the press it's made on means virtually nothing.  All a press does is provide the force to push cases into the dies and pull them back out; that's really not very demanding!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 01:49:13 AM »
I started reloading/handloading in the mid 70's . I learned on my own from manuals . I tried several brands over the years and have had difference experince than you claim to. I have loaded on Lee, RCBS, Lyman,Pacfic and Hornady . I have used dies from all listed and Redding and others. There are differences to be sure. Some differ in "feel" which if the reloader has enough experince at the press he can know things are going well or not by the feel. I can detect a case that grips the bullet less and mark it for a fouling load or plinking etc. So I suggest there are good reasons for brand prefrence , warranty and quality do mean something to some of us.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 03:38:00 AM »
"......So I suggest there are good reasons for brand prefrence , warranty and quality do mean something to some of us."

I agree, as you state it but it's not absolute.  Taking one point at a time suggests it means different things to different people.

All our makers seem to stand behind their products for manufactoring errors quite well.   For things we damage, the presumed value of a "warranty" depends a whole lot on how likely the user is to bust something; ham-fisted people need a great warranty, others less so.  "Free" warranty stuff really isn't free, it just means those who don't break stuff will be paying higher costs to cover for those who do.  Presses are very simple devices, the details of design and construction have been worked out for many years and there are no secrets to making them.   Fact is, if someone intelligently choses and uses a press for its intended work, and takes care of it, he can KNOW it will do a very good job.  Thus, the brand is the least important element to consider.  IMHO.

"Quality" is a nebulous thing; how can it be defined for a press?  All presses are tight and work smooth after break-in, all will last a lifetime if given a modest amount of care and lube, all have sufficent strength for what they are made to accomplish.

Measuring 'quality' by excess strength is meaningless.  It's simply dead weight - and money - if a guy needs a small press dedicated to de and re cap work or bullet sizing.  My little Lee Reloaders are superb for that but I don't use them to reform .30-06 to .22-250; for such high pressure case work a big iron press is certainly the correct choice but which of several bigger presses is 'better' simply by brand?  What can be done on my excessively touted Rock Chucker that can't be done just as well and for just as long on a Lyman Crusher, Redding Boss, Hornady LnL or Lee Classic Cast?  Or, IF 'quality' includes a complex design and tremendous leverage at high prices then a Redding Ultramag or Forster Coax would certainly be the right choice...but few of those are sold.  And rightly so, who in the world needs all that massive "quality" to reload very high grade ammo for common rifle and pistol cartridges? 

Personal likes are a whole different thing; everyone should buy what appeals to them.  Just as with Ford/Chevy/Dodge trucks, people do love their favorite and with no more logic than what looks or feels good to them - or the bragging rights for what it may have cost.  Loading tool user features have different appeal to different people but rarely - if ever - do such features have any direct effect on the quality of ammo that can come off the press.  (IF my RC was graded on how it captures spent primers it would get an "F".)   

IF there were any mechanically valid clear and consistant differences , the loser presses would have been driven from the market decades ago.   But it seems the market supports all of them quite well; there must be a reason for that, I don't think all those supporters are fools even if they don't buy MY favorite press!   ;D 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 04:55:26 AM »
Ham fisted ,Some of us have used out tools enough to wear them out. RCBS and REDDING replace parts free . Lee charges .
The press to some is just a ram. OK if that's it for some. For others the construction is of such it is more comfortable to use IE things just seem in the right place, again one would need to do enough reloading to know .
Quality is not so nebulous as it is worth for investment ,some value this more than others it seems . But if only a modest amount of reloading will be done why buy quality ?
As far as weight to each his own but I like heavy and strong .
As for looser presses "there is a sucker born every min." I wish I had a box of ammo for every time I have heard someone say they wish they had not bought junk to start with.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 09:33:07 AM »
SHOOTALL: "Quality is not so nebulous as it is worth for investment ,some value this more than others it seems ."

You're right of course, 'quality' of itself isn't so nebulous.  But where and for what purposes different people find an effective difference in quality IS nebulous and that's what I meant.  I mean, some folk happily drive Fords but a few others demand a Rolls Royce; no one would question the very high quality of a Rolls but Ford drivers would reasonably ask what benefit all the extra money actually buys!  And I mean real benefit here, not just high cost snob appeal.  (I would argue that the best "feel" of presses [or women?] is NOT a hard fact, it's highly personal and therefore quite nebulous but you seem to suggest it's quantifiable!)    :o

I listed several presses and commented on each, by type.  So far, in spite of your expansive and pointed elitist comments, I don't see any such info from you so you have been quite neblous yourself.  Surely with your vast hard won experience you can easily tell us what brand of press is (and is not?) of sufficent quality for normal functions, ie., who makes a great press and who puts out "junk"?  And, passed brand, perhaps you will take the time to tell us all what is required for a press to be 'quality' and in what specific ways you find quality in a measurable way that puts one above of all others of its class ... and maybe the average effective improvement to target accuracy or gaged concentricity you base your certainty on??    :)

Just for the record, I started reloading in early '65.  I still own five presses from three makers and have owned or used at least a dozen others.  I've found no measureable difference in the average 'quality' of the ammo that can be made on any brand of press IF I do my part skillfully.   Come to think of it, IF I don't do my part, no press is going to change the result, is it?  8)

For dies, I still own some 50+ die sets in 32 calibers made by some 12-14 brands and have tested the results of at least another dozen borrowed dies.  On average, I've found as much measurable difference in results between individual dies of the same brand as between brands.  Thus, discounting "feel", I find all die brands are pretty much tied for third place after the Reddings and Fosters tie for first place; Lee's Collet is tops for neck dies but they're not nearly as purty as others.  And I can prove all that "quality" with both targets AND on a concentricity gage, not by my nebulous finger feeling!    ;D

And, once again, your "free parts" were not free.  They never have been, they never will be, they can't possibly be.  They were fully paid for at original purchase and if you never get any such 'freebies' the money happily stays in the company's profits. 

After a rational warranty period, Lee sometimes chages what the broken parts cost but, at least from what I read, not always. Anyway, that is as much as a reasonable person should expect. 

In my meager bit of reloading experience I've only had to get replacements for two FL die's bent decapping rods (my fault), a few decap pins (my fault) and one shell holder retaining spring (not my fault).  They were all "free" but I would gladly have paid for them if the purchase price had been adjusted down as Lee does; the total savings over-all would have been significant.

Enough, we've wandered far afield from the question of turret vs. single stage.

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 04:07:58 PM »
After much ado and back to your original question concerning accuracy from one press vs. another, the bottom line has probably got a lot to do with the cartidge.  In the mid 60's I bought my first press, a Lyman (turret) Spar-T,  probably due to advertising and not knowing any difference.

At the current time I wanted to load the 30-30 and 30-06.  My 30-30 rounds, after finding my load, rival accuracy with anything I have reloaded to date.

With the 30-06 I was not happy with the "flex" the turret had.  You had to tighten the center nut of the turret press to the point of not being able to move the turret to full length resize 30-06 cases. 

I have been loading the Weatherbys for lots of years and you do need a rigid press for these.  My 270 Weatherby shoots .75 three shot groups or less.  My 300 weatherby is really picky and 1 inch  is hard to get
The loads for the Weatherbys are sized with RCBS and seated with Lyman turrets

NRA Life Member

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 09:45:58 AM »
winnchester, I have an old Lyman press the owner gave it to me in the 80's . He said he got it in the 50's. It is a good press for handgun rounds. It is not so good on rifle . It seems to not offer enough leverage.

I have a Pacific from the late 70's it again is great on handgun loads and some rifle cart. But Weatherby mags and win mags again it is not so good .
Both of the above both seem to offer not enough leverage with the larger ( longer cases) They do work but operator effort is excessive.
Lee ( I do not own a Lee press) A friend does/did and loading 300 Weatherby rounds was near impossible as it flexed alot. The ram would get out of line at times. He traded it off.
Hornady , I have a progressive the ram is about 2.5 inches in dia. The arm is very long it works ok but I use it little . Mostly a single station at a time.
RCBS rochcrusher. It has more than enough strength. The arm is long and the ram is very sturdy. I use it for all rifle and some handgun loading. It also has a bushing for larger dies .
Free parts ok you have a point to a point . But it doesn't take a finical whizz to understand that when you buy a press in say 1980 and get replacement parts in 2011 you saved money over the cost incress.  ;)
Die sets I own maybe 40+ I don't test dies or press I use them . I have been lucky to have recived good info on equipment and got goot stuff that has worked. So I suggest what works for me .
I don't like to waste time or money so I try to invest in good equipment the first time .
I don't think anyone with a brain and ablity to pay for a Rolls would not know the benifits of owning one . Even a Frod driver would understand part of the difference in the two is investment and resale. The same can apply to reloading .
So it you are satisfyed with shall we say less long term quality as precived by myself and others then enjoy what you choose.
I hope those reading your post understand your pointed debate toward me is just that and see the different equipment out there for the quality they repsent or fail to.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 04:51:47 PM »
winnchester, I have an old Lyman press the owner gave it to me in the 80's . He said he got it in the 50's. It is a good press for handgun rounds. It is not so good on rifle . It seems to not offer enough leverage.

Define "not offer enough leverage".  Do you mean you can't FL size largish rifle cases at all?  Or that it just takes more push than a more modern compound toggle presses?  Both your old Lyman and Pacific presses are simple toggles and they faded from the market decades ago because of the lack of leverage.  So that observation is irrelivant unless someone wishes to buy a  50 year old press!

"I do not own a Lee press) A friend does/did and loading 300 Weatherby rounds was near impossible as it flexed alot."

Lee makes several presses, not all of which are a proper choice for any .300 mag so that's meaningless without more info; which Lee press was he able to "flex alot"? That matters you know.

"RCBS rochcrusher. It has more than enough strength. The arm is long and the ram is very sturdy. I use it for all rifle and some handgun loading. It also has a bushing for larger dies."

I have a "Rock Chucker" myself so I know its strengths and limits.  It's 'strong' enough for what I do but not for swaging jacketed bullets; is that 'enough strength' for every use?  And I have seen photos of at least two RCs with broken top straps so some ham-fisted owners can bust them too.  The RC isn't a bit stronger than the Redding Boss/Big Boss, Lyman Crusher, Hornady (alum) LnL or Lee Classic Cast.  Lee's ram is bigger.  And Lee's primer catcher works. And it's lever is adjustable. ??

Free parts ok you have a point to a point . But it doesn't take a finical whizz to understand that when you buy a press in say 1980 and get replacement parts in 2011 you saved money over the cost incress.  ;)

In the twenty two years I've use my RC II I got ONE "free" shell holder retaining spring from RCBS.  Financial whizz? That spring might have cost me a buck or so if I had paid for it myself...what "saved" money over what cost increases?

"...I don't test dies or press I use them.."

Fine.  But if you don't test them you really don't know what they're doing so you just judge them by the neat knurling and exterior finish?  Okay, but then how much value for effective work does your experienced suggestions actually convey if you haven't measured anything?   I HAVE tested several presses and a lot of dies; I'm a technician by training and experience so I take the time to find out what is true before I pass my 'judgement' along ... and, by my tested judgement, there is as much difference between individual dies of the same maker as between makers.  Of course I didn't always know that, so I used to strongly recommended new guys buy what had worked fine for me - until I got my hands on enough samples and gages to learn I didn't know nearly as much as I thought I did.  It's odd what real facts can do to untested opinions!

"I don't like to waste time or money so I try to invest in good equipment the first time." 

Ditto the rest of us; I've never heard of anyone suggesting anything else! ?? 

The difference between us is you say your choices are for 'quality' but then you admit you don't really know if what you're suggesting is actually any better than what you equally confidently denigrate.  But I do know, not 'cause I'm so smart but because I've tested it all and part of what I learned is the "quality" of results can't be assured by the color of the box something comes in.   In fact, no critical accuracy rifle die set I now use consists of the original die pairs, I've hand selected the "best" sizer and seater from mulitpule sets and make them my 'user' set of conventional dies (meaning anything not using Redding/Forster seaters).  Sometimes they are both the same brand and sometimes they are mixed brands but non of them are now in the same box the factory put them in.  Some of the very best FL dies and all the best neck sizers I've found are Lee's. 

Offline fishtracker

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 04:53:41 PM »
Thanks for all of the input.  It was much appreciated.  Cabelas had free shipping, I had a gift certificate, and Rockchuckers were on sale.  It is on the way.  Thanks again. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2011, 02:17:09 AM »
You made a great choice !
I was glad to see you were not swayed from quality at the cost of false economy  ;)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2011, 02:22:34 AM »
winnchester , I do know what I use is quality. I have been around several other brand types and see the quality or lack there of .
The difference in you and I is I don't consider myself a self appointed expert I offer what I have learned over the years in an effort to help folks.
Your last post sounds more like a troll than an effort to help and the OP has made his decision anyway so HAVE A GREAT DAY good-bye !

Offline wncchester

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2011, 08:22:15 AM »
'I don't consider myself a self appointed expert I offer what I have learned over the years in an effort to help folks"

My point is you consider yourself exactly that but it's all based on your years of untested and purely subjective opinion rather than hard objective data.  I used to do that too, but I have learned I was wrong, that's why I question how much real help you're passing out.  Opinions, neither mine or yours, are facts; I now go where the facts lead and that does make a lot of people's skin crawl.   

I used a micrometer, dial/digital calipers, dial indicator, concentricity gage, made chamber casts of sizers and shot targets for ammo made on a LOT of equipment to prove that my own previous brand certainties were wrong.  But fourty five years ago I judged "quality" as you; just seeing, paying for and feeling purty steel stuff but I believe my current standards have more validity.  Do you disagree with that?   

IF you really wanted a 'quality' press you'd toss that Rock Chucker and get a really nicely made Harrel's machined steel press.  Or a less costly but still nice cast iron Forster Coax or Redding Ultramag.  It appears YOU may be a troll if for no other reason than asserting that your opinion/feeling trumps hard data.

We still have no clue what Lee press your friend was 'bending' with a .300 mag case; do you?

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2011, 09:58:41 AM »
It still use  an old Lyman turret. It works for me. Keep her sligtly oiled.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2011, 11:03:18 AM »
Thanks for all of the input.  It was much appreciated.  Cabelas had free shipping, I had a gift certificate, and Rockchuckers were on sale.  It is on the way.  Thanks again.

You are quite welcome,
You should be served well with your choice, good luck with it!

Merry CHRISTmas,

CW

NRA LIFE Member