Author Topic: CVA or not???  (Read 3755 times)

Offline buckshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
CVA or not???
« on: November 27, 2011, 12:12:42 PM »
I am from Ohio and I am looking at getting a new CVA optima with a scope.  The scope I would like to get Leupold VX-1 scope.

So my questions are, is this a good gun or should I look at different ones?  What is a good muzzleloader scope?  Is the VX-1 a good scope for a muzzleloader?  What kind of bullet, powder and primers should I use?  What is the maximum distance that you can kill a deer with this kind of muzzleloader?

I have only owned one other muzzleloader before which was a 100 dollar gun, however, if you have any tips or pointers to muzzleloaders please share.   
"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
Re: CVA or not???
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 12:20:20 PM »
the optima is a great gun, i own 2 of them. The triggers on both my Optimas are 2lbs and grit/creep free. The Konuspro 275 3-9x40 is an awesome scope. I just sold an optima last night that had this scope and you talk about an awesome set up for the $80 price tag. 200 yards easily IF you take the time to work up a good load and practice with the rifle a good deal.

Offline Vic49

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 10:55:19 PM »
I own both the new style Optima and a Accura, both are well made rifles with great triggers. I like the Optima over the Accura only because of the stock configuration.  Both shoot great with deadcenters or Shockwaves and 90-100grs. BH209
And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Thomas Jefferson
Handi rifles
Knight, T/C and CVA Muzzleloaders
Bowtech and Diamond bows

Offline buckshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 06:38:21 AM »
Okay thanks for the replies, but I have another question.  When you guys say "BH209" what exactly do you mean by this?  I am not use to muzzleloader terminology so I just want to be sure I know what you are talking about.  Thanks
"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline Vic49

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 06:43:28 AM »
And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Thomas Jefferson
Handi rifles
Knight, T/C and CVA Muzzleloaders
Bowtech and Diamond bows

Offline DennyRoark

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
    • The Ohio Outdoorsman
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 11:28:13 AM »
Buckshooter, you won't go wrong with an Optima.  I have a Leupold VX-II 4-12AO on mine.  It shoots MOA with 100gr Pyro RS and 250gr Shockwave EZ-Glides or Parker Hydra-cons.  Also shoots 240gr XTP's at 90gr just as well.  You can't go wrong with it.  150 yd shots in the open have produced 3 one shot clean kills.  I missed one at a ranged 175 (probably me).  I know this is late for Ohio deer season, but ML is coming up.  Unless you shoot at driven deer, it's the only gun you'll ever need here.  Also, the breech plug is everything they say and more!
Denny Roark
Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)
The Second Amendment...the one that makes all the others possible
I have no problems with vegetarians...I eat them regularly-Ted Nugent
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 11:31:34 AM »
Many are against CVA in any form, but I have owned several, currently own two, and have been well pleased with all of them.  I don't shoot the "max" of 150 grains of powder because I have found it not needed, and less accurate.  Dependent on bullet, I load from 85 gr. powder under a conical, to 95 gr. with sabots.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 12:12:24 PM »
I wouldn't own anything made by CVA or Traditions.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »
I wouldn't own anything made by CVA or Traditions.
Yeah we know we know. If its not stamped Remington you dont push it  :o

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 03:16:43 PM »
I wouldn't buy a Remington that was made in Spain either.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 07:59:02 PM »
just Russica  :o

Offline grouse

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 02:29:38 PM »
No reason to buy CVA Muzzleloaders at all. All the American made Muzzleloaders are good and pretty cheap if you shop around. Just an American opinion. ;)

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 02:34:08 PM »
Are any inlines other than TC American made?  Just wondering.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 02:38:40 PM »
Knight is still making them.

Offline grouse

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 03:17:34 PM »
Knight, Savage, NULA, The Ultimate i believe as well.

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 12:20:04 AM »
This I saw with my own eyes, not internet rumor.....Last year a good friend was shooting his CVA, not sure what model, what I am sure of is the six inch long by half inch wide chunk that was blown off the barrel, starting right in front of the breechplug.  As he was shooting off my Led Sled he did not have his fingers around the barrel, this saved his hand.  The load was a 250 gr. TC Shockwave, Winchester ML 209 primers, two fifty grain Pyrodex pellets.  Yeah, I'll stick with my Knight. 

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 01:18:15 AM »
This I saw with my own eyes, not internet rumor.....Last year a good friend was shooting his CVA, not sure what model, what I am sure of is the six inch long by half inch wide chunk that was blown off the barrel, starting right in front of the breechplug.  As he was shooting off my Led Sled he did not have his fingers around the barrel, this saved his hand.  The load was a 250 gr. TC Shockwave, Winchester ML 209 primers, two fifty grain Pyrodex pellets.  Yeah, I'll stick with my Knight.

demented,

Could you please find out which model/year that rifle was, I would really like to know, as I am sure others would as well? Was it a blued, nickel, or stainless rifle? was it one of the old extruded barrels, or one of the newer Bergara barrels? Thanks for this information.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 01:29:50 AM »

Yep, it's not just the old ones.....it's still happening.

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 07:39:29 AM »
stupidity and lack of knowledge is what destroys any gun. CVA rifles are just as safe as any.

Take a look at this video, there are all sorts of ways to destroy a muzzleloader,

Now this is a real shooter thinking he knows what he doing and makes a cute remark about using .45cal pellets because they are cheaper than the .50cal pellets for his .50cal muzzy.

This is some real dangerous stuff this kid is playing with, yet he put money first before safety. If he had taken the time to read his manual the gun comes with or even just do some reading online he would have known that a .45cal pellet is NOT for a .50cal and the gaps they leave in the barrel are creating massive amounts of pressure spikes. I do believe he mentions the recoil in the video.

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 09:27:33 AM »
Recently bought a 2010 CVA Optima and will never buy a CVA product again. Horrible CS (worse than Remington and that's saying something). Very poor quality control. I dumped it at a loss. I'll stick with my 'lowly' H-R Huntsman.

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 10:29:46 AM »
Kid using .45 pellets in his CVA .50 was a lucky dimbulb.

My CVA experience: I've got a CVA Buckhorn that I got for about 80 bucks on a post-season sale about six years ago; before that I had a Staghorn (similar design). The Buckhorn (same as kid in vid has) has been a very good rifle: comfortable stock & recoil pad, EXCELLENT trigger, sufficiently accurate at 100 yards. I like it. Downsides? It's a pain to put on the primer w/o tool, and you do have to disassemble to thoroughly clean. My standard load is a pedestrian 240gr XTP over 90gr loose Pyrodex RS. I've killed numerous deer with it, last an 8 pointer during 2010 season.

good & effective deer rifle, on the cheap.

Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline Underclocked

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 08:18:23 PM »
The bias continues irrespective of the truth and there are those that cannot stand the fact that CVA is making two models (the Accura and the Apex) that are fine guns.  Yes, made in Spain.

Of course there are those on these forums that insist on keeping their heads planted firmly in their rectums so they can spew crap from their mouths at every opportunity - as if their opinion was actually meaningful. 

I can't speak about the Optima as I've only owned one of the very original Optima models (far removed from the current version) and I didn't think much of that one.

You want to see an example of how and WHY people blow up muzzleloaders, just listen to this nutcase  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t33dU3CwJP8
WHUT?

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 04:43:08 AM »
The bias continues irrespective of the truth and there are those that cannot stand the fact that CVA is making two models (the Accura and the Apex) that are fine guns.  Yes, made in Spain.

Of course there are those on these forums that insist on keeping their heads planted firmly in their rectums so they can spew crap from their mouths at every opportunity - as if their opinion was actually meaningful. 

I can't speak about the Optima as I've only owned one of the very original Optima models (far removed from the current version) and I didn't think much of that one.

You want to see an example of how and WHY people blow up muzzleloaders, just listen to this nutcase  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t33dU3CwJP8

You're 100% correct!
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2012, 02:59:07 PM »
The words Made in Spain and fine guns being on the same page is laughable at best. :o :o :o :o I just hate to see anyone get hurt esp. and innocent bystander.

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2012, 03:07:01 PM »
some of the finest guns in the world are still made in spain. They had a show on tv some months back about a factory in spain that did high end shot guns, the engraving they did was simply amazing. These were guns in the $6,000 +  price range.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2012, 03:08:20 PM »
And still dangerous.....because they aren't proofed. ::)

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2012, 03:22:26 PM »
If you are saying that ALL guns from Spain are not proofed, You are sadly wrong.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2012, 03:25:13 PM »
That's what I'm saying. ::)

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2012, 03:53:54 PM »

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2012, 06:08:28 PM »

We have a winner! ;)
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member