Author Topic: Scope rings for Handi?  (Read 1530 times)

Offline redclay33

• Trade Count: (0)
Scope rings for Handi?
« on: November 27, 2011, 12:46:57 PM »
I'm looking to put new rings on my 280 Handi.  Was thinking about weaver medium grand slams. I have low rings (cheap weavers) currently and notice I'm ducking down to get sight picture.  Any recommendations?

Offline slowshot

Re: Scope rings for Handi?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 01:11:58 PM »
I use the extra high weaver with windage adj and the rings each have four screws ,works on Handi and AR's for me # 49145 on package ,currently using on 30-30 and 44 mag handi ,don't know if your comb height is different

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 01:22:51 PM »
hey redclay, some them cheap weavers hold better'n than most them high dollar'erns.
don't give up yet  ;)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 02:07:59 PM »
Redclay- I have no high dollar rings, but I just get the lowest I can that will clear the hammer- that said most of mine are the highest rings weaver or millet make. With several of my scopes being the Bushnell 3-9s the adjustment knob is quite large and hammer clearance is an issue. I don't mind the high rings on a Monte Carlo stock but if you have a low comb shotgun or open sight stock it is a pain to hold your head unsupported by a stock while shooting.   thejanitor

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 04:30:35 PM »
 Dunno about a .280, but from experience with a 45-70, I'd sure tell you to stay away from Leupold Rifleman Rings,  guess the old .45 kicks too hard for them to hold.

Offline marine

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 04:53:41 PM »
  I use Leupold Rifleman low rings on my .223 handi.  Not much recoil there so i cant coment on that.  The scope is a Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32 and the eyepiece just barely clears the hammer with this setup. 
  As far as my experience with the weaver grandslam rings the just dont seem to close up right on my scope rail.  Its almost as if the rail is too wide for them to properly clamp.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 05:42:06 PM »
I've got a set of the grand slams on my Tracker II 20ga I think they are mediums. They work well with the Simmons Pro Diamond 4X32 Master Series shot gun scope that is on it.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 06:26:52 AM »
i have been using the simmons high rings on eight of my handy's similar to old weaver. use a little super glue on the screws after i am done with sighting in. no problems with these at all.caution do not over tighten screws they will strip out. :D

Offline akpls

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 09:45:51 AM »
I've switched over to Dednutz mounts for mine.  I believe they only come in high though.

See here:  http://www.opticsplanet.net/dnz-dednutz-h-r-high-1in-scope-mount.html

Offline mdwest

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 10:53:33 AM »
I like millet medium rings on my handis.. they are $15 out the door at Gander Mountain.. and have been holding tight even under fairly substantial recoil on everything from a .44 mag and a .45-70 to a 7mm WSM .. theyre plenty tall enough to give clearance for a hammer and extension.. and accomidate a typical 40mm bell..

Ive used super heavy duty (and super expensive) stuff like leupold MKIV's and Badger Ordnance.. in the past.. and would maintain that on my precision guns where mistakes just arent an option, that they were worth the money spent..

but that said.. I've yet to bump, whack, or otherwise loose zero on any of my hunting guns because of using "cheap" rings...

Ive managed to break a number of scopes over the years..

but havent managed to break a set of rings (havent broken them by using the rifle I should say... I have managed to "gorilla" a few sets in the past and strip out the screws on "cheap" aluminum rings...)..

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 11:38:47 AM »
I am not a fan of cheap rings (Or scopes ;) ) Its my belief you get what you pay for and I have had cheap rings and I have had them fail on me more than once! My time to enjoy myself is becoming shorter and shorter. This makes it more valuable. I cannot "afford" cheap crap that fails and ruins or ends my day afield.

I lost a very good buck (He very likely died) when I had a Weaver rings alloy base break.crack. Unknown to me I checked the torque on the screws before a hunt and the difference form cold to hot must have done them in. I know I hit the deer as I had good blood but never did recover him. "Perturbed" the hell outta me!

Last year I would have answered up Leupold PRW rings with out hesitation. But I had these fail on me under stiff recoil as its design only supports the recoil shoulder on one side. This is a serious flaw for any ring but one as otherwise well made this is a very weak link.

What I will recomend and what I have used is the Burris ZEE rings. They have been a favorite here for many years and they are a quality product. For a while they used a funky small screw that commonly failed. But that was years ago. They also makea version with alighning colars to make up for imperfect bases. Stops kinked/scratched scope tubes.
My other choice is the excellent Warne ring. Its similar to the PRW but offers complete support at the recoil shoulder.

As for rings, a scope should be mounted as close to the barrel as possible. Craning you head up off the stock results in poor ergonomics, poor cheek weld and the end result is not as much accuracy as would be otherwise available to you. One other thing is trajectory. When you mount a scope high off the barrel you create a less and less appealing trajectory the higher you go. With a 50-100 yard shooter this isn't a big deal. But as the yardage lengthens this becomes very important.
With a handi friendly scope LO rings are the norm. There is no reason for extra high or even high with a quality, handi friendly scope.

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 11:44:21 AM »
As CW said the Burris Zees are some of the best.  Those Grand Slams are nice looking solid rings; however, I have never gotten a scope to mount with the mediums.  I think to even mount a Redfield Revo. 2x7-33 you're going to have to have high Slams.  Check it out, they probably have a height chart on the website.
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 12:54:07 PM »
I have two pairs of the Weaver Grand Slam rings, both low, I have one scope mounted in them, it took an extraordinary amount of time lapping to clean them up to be suitable for mounting a scope, they were terribly misaligned with about 10% contact before lapping, but to be expected from Chinese made rings. :-\ For that reason, I won't recommend them, I'd go with the Burris Zees or Signature Zees.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline redclay33

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 02:39:34 PM »
Thanks for all the input, looks like I have several options to weigh.  What I have now works, but I just want to make it a bit more shooter friendly for myself.  Have been pleased with the 280 thus far, very accurate, looking forward to working up some hand loads.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 08:12:38 AM »
...I'd go with the Burris Zees or Signature Zees.  ;)

To quote Brie, "I would have answered up Leupold PRW rings with out hesitation."  But no more.

Quite a while back I tried the Signature Zees at Tim's recommendation.  The are all I use whenever I need rings now.  I really like 'em!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 12:05:16 PM »
DNZ's Game Reaper.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 12:54:36 PM »
DNZs and Talley ring mounts are real nice, too bad they only make them in high and extra high, they'll not be found on any of my rifles for that reason, they don't allow a decent cheek weld IMO, I like medium rings at least, prefer low or extra low rings.

Tim

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 01:00:17 PM »
DNZs and Talley ring mounts are real nice, too bad they only make them in high and extra high, they'll not be found on any of my rifles for that reason, they don't allow a decent cheek weld IMO, I like medium rings at least, prefer low or extra low rings.

Tim

I could not agree more!!

Although I do own a set of DNZ mounts ;)

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 01:18:14 PM »

Tim

I could not agree more!!

Although I do own a set of DNZ mounts ;)

CW

I tried a Talley Lightweight one-piece ring mount, but they were just too darned high, sent em back.  :-\

Tim

Offline Uncle Harry

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 04:33:01 PM »
+1 on the Burris Z's.

Offline MS Mule

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 04:40:31 PM »
I have Zee rings on seven Handi barrels from 22 Hornet thru 45/70 with never a problem.