Author Topic: To Size or not to Size?  (Read 515 times)

Offline Propdoc03

• Trade Count: (0)
To Size or not to Size?
« on: January 14, 2004, 03:53:20 AM »
So I am getting geared up to start casting and am trying to get an order in fro a mold or two. I have been using Classic Bullets in my 45/70 with Black Powder. I am looking on Cabelas and they show .458 as the Caliber/Sizing Die Diameter. Does this mean that the are droping at that size, or does this mean that I also need that sizing die? Also, is there a shirnkage factor oither than cold water, sorry couldnt resist :-) Seriously though, how does one know what size bullet will be dropped or is thjat dependent on the lead? I would prefer to not to have to size.

Thanks PD

Offline Ka6otm

• Avid Poster
To Size or not to Size?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 03:59:57 AM »
Yes, as-cast diameter is dependent upon the alloy.

Straight lead will be the smallest diameter and Linotype will be the largest, with wheelweights in between.

Ka6otm

Offline Sky C.

To Size or not to Size?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 05:01:49 AM »
PropDoc03-

The as cast diameter also depends on individual mould.  It is possible to make minor (10's of thousandths range) changes to the as cast dia. by changing alloys IF you're OK with the other aspects of those alloys.

Unfortunately - many of the moulds sold by major manufacturers will cast bullets on the small side.  There are tricks to get the mould to cast a bit larger but it is not the optimal situation.  Best is to get a mould that casts a bullet to the diameter you want to start with.  Since production tolerances are what they are - if you get a mould that's not too small - it could be a bit large and sizing may be in order.  To some extent - you'll have to cast some bullets from whatever mould you have/get and measure the bullets.

Best regards-

Sky C.

PS.  Bullets at .459" have shot very well in all my .45-70 barrels so far (and that's more than a few).

Offline waksupi

To Size or not to Size?
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 05:18:31 AM »
If you want to cast, and not size, contact Veral Smith, or Dan at Mountain Molds. Send them a chamber cast, tell them what alloy you want to use, and you will get a mold that casts for your rifle exactly.