Author Topic: Reloading Short Magnums  (Read 337 times)

Offline kmittleman

• Trade Count: (0)
Reloading Short Magnums
« on: November 28, 2011, 09:44:37 AM »
Hey Guys,

I'm thinking about getting a .270 wsm or .300 wsm. Are there any complications or issues with either of these rounds for reloading? Also, what's the barrel life on these guns?

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis

Offline hoghunting

Re: Reloading Short Magnums
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 10:29:39 AM »
 Been using and reloading for a 300 WSM for about 6 years, and did the same with a 270 WSM for about 4 years - sold the 270 a couple of years ago. Both cartridges have been extremely accurate in my rifles with my handloads.

The only problem you may encounter reloading may be getting the brass sized. The higher pressures of the WSMs expand the cases and running them into the fully adjusted sizing die may not be enough. Sometimes the cases need to go just a little farther into the die, and I stoned about 0.004" off the top surface of the shell holder. Cases will easily chamber now. It's an easily fixed problem, so don't let that stop you from the WSMs.

I am on my 6th box of bullets for the 300 WSM, so I'm somewhere between 500 to 600 shots through the barrel, and it is still extremely accurate. I don't let the barrel get hot when shooting groups. 

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 12:22:28 AM »
never owned one. I allready own quite a few 300 and 7mm standard mags and never saw the need for a short mag. My buddy has a browning 300 short mag and i loaded up some 165 nos bts using re17 and its shot sub moa though and velocitys were right up there with my 300 win mag loads. Re17 seems to be THE powder for the short mags. Probably 200 fps faster then anything else.
blue lives matter

Offline hoghunting

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 06:28:08 AM »
 Thought you would have faster velocity with the RL-17. For my 300 WSM I load 165 gr Hornady Interbonds with RL-19 and my most accurate hunting load is 0.5 MOA and 1 1/2 grs under max. Average velocity is 3160 fps, thought RL-17 would do better than that.

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 06:46:02 AM »
This is such a good thread.

I bought a .300 WSM chambered in a Winchester Model 70 Coyote about 7 years ago. I was attracted to the cartridge configuration because of the possibility of having .308 accuracy coupled with .300 mag ballistics. Intent is to use it as a long range (300 yards - 1000 yards) firearm and as an Uber Accurate hunting rifle.

I'm just now getting around to putting a scope on the rifle. My scope is a Swift 4.5 X 14 X 44mm. I bought 150 new Winchester cases, and I have 150 more on back-order. I'm planning to reload the cases with IMR 4350 under a 165 gr Sierra Boatail. I have not been able to find Leupold Bases and rings in my local stores...so I'll probably be looking online soon. 

I'd like to thank you all for your posts...The responces in this thread have been closely read and greatly appreciated.  8)
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline KAYR1

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 08:53:23 AM »
I have not experienced any particular problems handloading the .300 WSM. I ususally only neck-size new brass, trim, and load. I dont push the envelope velocity-wise, and case life has been very good. In fact, I just killed a nice PA buck yesterday with a 165 Nosler Accu-Bond over IMR-4831. I have noticed no deterioration in accuracy over the last 6-7 yrs or so that I've owned it. Good luck with your new rifle and relaoding