Author Topic: Check Your Sources  (Read 2623 times)

Offline rbursek

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Check Your Sources
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2011, 03:07:49 PM »
I am still waiting for documentasion about dedination as I asked earlier, and why did you not email aor call the powder source and talk to them, again a bunch of speculation. I would go with a double charge and not as anal as you think your reloading is. Not bashing, but YOU made the statement so back it up. You are bashing the powder and the person who gave you the load.
Bob
too many calibers, not enough hunting seasons

Offline Elk_Mountain

« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2011, 05:43:56 PM »
Thane and Blackhawker, Glad to hear you folks didn't get badly hurt...as one of the other posters said a ways back, the man upstairs was keepin his eyes on you that day.

Thane, buddy, it sounds like your deal could've gone either way, double charge or detonation but I'm kinda leaning toward double charge.  I've used Titegroup in 45acp for quite some time and know good n well that it's easy to double charge a powder as fine of a grit as that but like it says on the bottle, "a little goes a long way".  Frankly, I just work with 50 cases in a batch doing all the prep work like triming deburring priming sizing case flare than from thereon I charge and seat a slug one at a time.  won't say it's impossible to doublecharge a case in that method but its pretty darn close to impossible.  The "charge 50 cases then check with a flashlight" methods posted earlyer are probably faster than my method but just as safe.  How you load is up to you but like youve said a few times, safety is key.

RBursek, and Thane,
      heres a couple sites, (other forums) to check out...it kinda seems that we aint the only ones out there scratching our heads over this detonation thing.  it seems like it's proposed as a posibility as often as its shot down.  http://smith-wessonforum.com/reloading/121741-undercharge-blows-up-model-64-need-explanation.html  first few posts have some interesting info but the further down you read the more it looks the same as this thred...people shooting down the detonation theory.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-164795.html  this one also looks alot like our very thred...scrol down til you see a post by klw posted at  November 8, 2005, 02:26 PM.

Rbursek  kinda sounds like you're a bit heated up for some reason, sorry if I'm wrong but it looks like Thane said a while back that he aint a perfect loader and he may have goofed up.  I aint trying to tell anyone how to behave here, (that aint my job) but reading your posts at face value makes me think you might be a bit more upset at Thane than you probably need to be, (I sincerely apologize if I'm misinterpreting your posts).  Anyway i think an anal reloader is just as prone to making a mistake as a seasoned veteran or a total newbie.  the way i read it, bein anal just means youre probably going overboard to make every round exact whereas a non-anal loader isn't bothered by being off a tenth or two of powder. a hardcore anal loading practice could demand a helluva lot of concentration and if youre working youre graymatter that hard past your bedtime, it dont matter how anal you are, youre asking for trouble.  frankly i don't split hairs like this unless I'm trying to test out a new powder or different charges to find the best groups...otherwise I'm just belting em out to have fun plinking.  also there's no use trying to bring Thane back into this as he said a few days ago that he's done posting on this thread...hell, I'd probably do the same as it kinda looks like it gout outta hand.  Hes probably a young buck that got the poop scared clean out himself when a nice piece of firearm, probably about $400-450 exploded in his hand.  I think he did the right thing in trying to put a little fear in any new loaders on this forum and i hope like hell someones eyes were opened to the kind of forces we work with and someone might think twice about posting their own recipes or taking recipes from others...it aint a good idea, think about it, all you have to do is move your finger about a half inch on the keyboard and you've just increased or decreased someones charge by a grain...or mabe 10gr...or mabe just .1gr...that half inch could easily put blood on your hands...typos are easy and I'm sure I've done plenty here.

some people here were justifyably upset that Thane called that 4.7gr hodgdon data dangerous...well i think Thane is absolutely right, it is a dangerous load, mabe not from the thread of detonation theory (mabe so?) but if anything, its dangerous because its real easy to double charge and not notice...especially in a larger case like 44mag.

at the end of the day, i think Blackhawker Thane and CW got it right, we'll never know what happened when that hammer fell... if it were me, I'd disasemble however many more rounds of that recipe you loaded and try a bulkier powder just in case...well thats assuming you will eventually buy a new 44mag outfit.  this obviously aint something you want to take chances with.

Even though you probably won't reply, if you read this Thane, I'm glad to hear you both are ok and I beg you to be darn careful with this new hobby of yours.

- D

boy that was an awful long first post
"...the right of THE PEOPLE to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" - Second Amendment.

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2011, 04:30:45 AM »
Welcome Elk Mountain!  Thanks for the good words and thanks for seeing things straight here.  Sometimes people take things too personally here and things get heated for no reason at all and as I stated once before, it just clouds up the original point and no one learns anything. 

Thanks!  Enjoy the site and forums.  There's a lot of good people here and a lot of good info exchanged too!
Blackhawker

P.S.
Nice Avitar and nick-name.  I know that place in your picture very well and really miss being out there!    :(

Offline Thane_Of_Fife

« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2011, 07:00:28 AM »
Greetings Elk Mt and welcome to Graybeard.  I appreciate your words of support.

Thane_Of_Fife

p.s....exactly what Blackhawker said, I love Wyoming and have ridden my Harley past Elk Mountain quite a few times...that is truly God's country!

Offline rbursek

« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2011, 02:36:16 PM »
After rereading my post I was too harsh, I am sorry, and yes with only 4+ grains of powder, if it was doubled it would not look like much in a case that large. I guess one way to eliminate a double charge in this situation is to weigh each loaded case after being charged with powder and look for the deviation of a double charge, I am not even that anal, but never had his experience with a double charge yet! I would still contact the powder company and talk to them, of course it most likely be a case of CTA, but they may have some knowledge/experience with the detination therory.
Bob
Bob
too many calibers, not enough hunting seasons