Author Topic: My first brass cannon  (Read 3263 times)

Offline jamesbeat

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: My first brass cannon
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2011, 08:18:59 AM »
That is crazy!  They must just fill the whole 10ga shell up with black powder to get that much result.  Are you going to mount that on a nice hardwood flat base to keep it from tipping?
Mike, a factory load 10 gauge blank has 218 grains of black powder. That's about a third more powder than a standard 12 gauge shell.

i had some 10ga shotgun blanks many years ago (I think they were Winchester, but don't quote me on that) and they were full to the brim with BP.
There was a particle board wad (turns safely to sawdust on firing) and directly under that was the powder.
To me, it seemed WAY more than the powder charge in the 00 buck shells I have for my HD shotgun.
He reached out and stroked shiny barrel. "Manuel, once there was a man who held a political make-work job like so many here in this Directorate, shining brass cannon around a courthouse."

"Why would courthouse have cannon?"

"Never mind. He did this for years. It fed him and let him save a bit, but he was not getting ahead in the world. So one day he quit his job, drew out his savings, bought a brass cannon--and went into business for himself."

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein

Offline carmy53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2011, 11:10:44 AM »
That is crazy!  They must just fill the whole 10ga shell up with black powder to get that much result.  Are you going to mount that on a nice hardwood flat base to keep it from tipping?
Mike, a factory load 10 gauge blank has 218 grains of black powder. That's about a third more powder than a standard 12 gauge shell.

i had some 10ga shotgun blanks many years ago (I think they were Winchester, but don't quote me on that) and they were full to the brim with BP.
There was a particle board wad (turns safely to sawdust on firing) and directly under that was the powder.
To me, it seemed WAY more than the powder charge in the 00 buck shells I have for my HD shotgun.

A 3 1/2" 10 gauge shotgun shell (the largest 10 gauge size made) with any size shot in it will have at most 45 grains of powder. Compare that to the 218 grains in a blank.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2011, 03:33:38 PM »
Are you comparing black powder loads to black powder blanks?  Not smokeless shells.
I just want to remind that (in muzzle loading cannon) blank loads should be reduced for live loads...  might this account for some of the difference between these shells?

Offline Bob J

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2011, 02:29:32 AM »
Beautiful!  Awesome cannon!

Offline circlesman

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2012, 09:28:24 PM »
Wow that's a cool cannon! How much do they cost? I got a little golf ball mortar cannon from ezacannonsales.com. I love that little thing and it only cost about 200 bucks! It shoots a golf ball a lot further than I thought it would too. It's black powder or black powder substitute. I didn't think to ask if they made them in brass, but they say they can do custom work.

Do you know if they make a black powder version of that one?

Offline carmy53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2012, 09:00:43 AM »
Wow that's a cool cannon! How much do they cost? I got a little golf ball mortar cannon from ezacannonsales.com. I love that little thing and it only cost about 200 bucks! It shoots a golf ball a lot further than I thought it would too. It's black powder or black powder substitute. I didn't think to ask if they made them in brass, but they say they can do custom work.

Do you know if they make a black powder version of that one?
Cost was around $1000. No, he doesn't make black powder versions - only shotgun blanks.

Offline onegreatshot

• keep their heads down til help arrives
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Proud owner of 3 brooks USA cannons, look'g 4 more
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2012, 09:23:23 AM »
Camery53, If you need some over shot wads I have approx 950 Alcan paper wads you can have and 5 loaded 10ga. Remington shells to go with it. Just unload the shot and powder. Yes pay for the shipping, Atone time I was looking to buy a Winchester 10 signal cannon, then I found this site.

Offline carmy53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2012, 02:15:17 PM »
Camery53, If you need some over shot wads I have approx 950 Alcan paper wads you can have and 5 loaded 10ga. Remington shells to go with it. Just unload the shot and powder. Yes pay for the shipping, Atone time I was looking to buy a Winchester 10 signal cannon, then I found this site.
Thanks for the offer but I don't reload.