Author Topic: Why does cast work in short throats?  (Read 314 times)

Offline .Dirty-.30

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
Why does cast work in short throats?
« on: December 01, 2011, 07:26:54 AM »
Quick said in another thread "I don't recollect anyone having problems with big cast bullets and short throated 45-70s, typically jacketed bullets are the issue"

I am ignorant to cast boolits. What is the difference in lead vs jacketed in short throat .45/70, which I happen to have one.?

I just resized a case and flared the mouth til I could seat a 405gr lead bullet with my thumb, it can be pushed with a little force. When I pulled it out to long length and closed it til the bullet seated in my BC I got a measurement of 2.655, I then took a Berrys 350gr and did the same but the bullet was pushed down to a coal of 2.555

Does this mean I can seat out the cast to near that coal (2.655) and not be into the lands?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Why does cast work in short throats?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 07:47:21 AM »
Probably the biggest factor controlling COL is the ogive shape and nose diameter and length of the bullet in question, lots of big cast bullets are smaller in the nose diameter to allow seating long,  as for the jacketed bullets, this line up tells the story much better than words, you can see the difference in the comparison below, L to R, 300gr Speer, 300gr Rem, 405gr Rem, 400gr Speer FN, 350gr Speer FN, 350gr Hornady RN and 350gr Hornady FP Interlock. Just an FYI, Remington factory 405gr ammo has a COL of 2.538", well short of the 2.55" spec.

As for seating cast bullets into the lands, it doesn't create as high a pressure spike in start pressure as jacketed bullets do, just be sure to work the load up from start as opposed to just changing the seating depth of an existing load that you've been using. The quote below is from the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook on seating depth for cast bullets:

Cast bullets, because they are "softer" (20BHN vs 100BHN) than jacketed bullets, suffer more from any free travel before rifling engagement. Seating the bullet to engrave from the rifling often improves accuracy. Try both techniques, even if the actual overall length exceeds that listed in our tables.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Why does cast work in short throats?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 11:12:49 AM »
IMHO one word.... Obturate.
Simply stated, lead bullets expand and fill the bore thusly negating many bullet problems accociated with there jacketed counterparts..

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.