Author Topic: 45 acp load  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Pike60

• Trade Count: (0)
45 acp load
« on: December 01, 2011, 09:38:33 AM »
I am going to start loading for my Kimber 45 and need some help. What is a good load for this. Have reloaded for my revolver but this is a first for me.Are round nose bullets better than SWCs and should I be worried about leading anymore than when I use lead bullets in my revover? Help please.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: 45 acp load
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 01:48:09 PM »
I've shot a bunch through my buddy's Kimber compact and his never has ftf or stovepiped one of my .45 acp.  I load a 200 gr. Dardas RNFP over 5.5-6.5 gr Unique.   Reason I give a range, is that it is just enough to cycle the slide, so you may have to experiment a bit.  In his Kimber, it loves the 6 gr. load, but it's been shot a lot.  If yours is newer, you might have to bump it up to 6.5 gr or if it's really loose, drop to 5.5 gr.  ;)  These also shoot sub 2" groups in my NMB .45 acp cylinder and my EAA Witness.  ;)

Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 01:58:34 PM »
I think Kimbers are generally good feeders, so try some SWC's and see how they feed. If they feed for you I would go with them, They cut clean holes and offer a good compromise for OAL.

I have sent a couple a large boxes of em down range with a light load of Bullseye shooting NRA bullseye competition.

Another fave is Win 231 and a 230 RN FP like Tacklebury showed you. I like these for bolling pins as the heavier weight helps the pins off the table with a off center hit...

Sorry I don't post actual loads, but you can easily find mine in manuals. Start at the suggested starting load and work up...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 03:27:44 PM »
I've had no problems with feeding 185 to 200gr LSWC in Ruger and Kimber .45s, certainly worth trying.  I've needed to tweak seating depth/OAL on a couple of loads to prevent the occasional misfeed, so don't give up if it doesn't feed 100% reliably at first.  In my experience, I've needed to go a bit longer when that happens.

Also, I've not seen any leading issues, so long as the bullet isn't undersize for your bore.

For a target load, I'd try something like a 200gr LSWC over 3.5 to 4.0 grains of Bullseye - I've heard this called the "Classic .45ACP target load" or the "NRA .45ACP target load".  My Ruger likes them a tad lighter and warmer, I get better accuracy and consistency with 185gr LSWC over something close to 6.0gr Bullseye.

As with any firearm, yours will prefer its own load that may be very different than mine, and always, Always, ALWAYS check loads against multiple published sources before using them.

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline noylj

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 03:48:20 PM »
I have never had a 1911 that would not feed an H&G68-style 200gn L-SWC.
In general, .45 barrels are pretty consistent and 0.452" lead bullets work well.
In general, a hard (>15BHN) is used, though my .45s all shoot soft alloy (<13BHN) just fine.
Pressures are low, so you need to either make sure that the hard alloy bullet is large enough to seal the bore, or you will need a soft alloy that can obdurate to fill the bore.
For this reason, start off with an order for 100-500 and determine which alloy performs best in your gun.
6.0gn of Unique is an excellent load. Relatively light load for 200gn bullets and close to full-ball for 230gn bullets.
Lead is not that hard to clean and should be no more, and probably less, than in your revolver.

Offline CherokeeT

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 03:28:43 AM »
Take a look at your loading manual.  Lots of good loads in there.  My most used load is with 231 and 230 TC style cast bullet.  SWC are nice for target work and should feed in your Kimber.  Lots of poeple like Bullseye but I go with 231 primarily and WST as a secondary powder.  45ACP is an easy one to load for, just start low and work up in your gun.
God Bless America
NRA Life, TSRA, SASS

Offline the jigger

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 03:49:05 AM »
I don't care for lead. Call it an old man's quirky nature. My range bullet of choice for the past 15yrs is the Rainier 200gr RN.
My powder of choice is Red Dot. This combination has functioned excellently in five different pistols not all of which were 1911's.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!
IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!!

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 05:03:11 AM »
My Grand Raptor likes 8.5 grs HS-6 under a 200gr Rainier HP or XTP. With my Kimber, I've found to get the best accuracy out of it, play with the OAL. Mine likes it around the 1.250 mark. Accuracy is an inch at 25 yds from bags or less. I've also used Unique and gotten the same accuracy but compared to HS-6, it's dirty.

Offline woods

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 01:47:18 PM »
     I have a kimber target II in 45acp it digests just about anything I put in it as long as its not a semi wad cutter bullet . I do have a favorite powder (clays) very clean burning just wipe off the residue when your done firing and it still looks clean. The residue is almost like silicone very easy to just towel off on stainless.  I bought a box of 2000 185 gr remington hp that feeds and shoots excellent been shooting those for about 2 years. I guess alot of people call them flying ash trays.

woods

Offline hillbill

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 02:21:45 PM »
i recently got a kimber stainless 11 and the best load i have so far is 5 grns of reddot under a lee tumble lube 230 grn.trunc cone bullet i cast myself.i pull the. barrel and chek after ever session and so far have not seen any leading. like ive seen with my blackhawk in 45 colt with the same bullet.im thinkin ill stik with it.

Offline Savage

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 02:45:27 PM »
I own/owned a few Kimbers. Haven't seen one yet that wouldn't feed 200gr LSWCs, assuming the OAL and crimp is correct. I currently own a half dozen or so 1911s that feed that bullet without a hitch. I use the Missouri Bullet Co bullets. Good price and very consistent.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 04:52:22 AM »
What barrel length? Mine is only 3" I use 185 gr bullets.

Clays is very clean. I've used a little Longshot and was accurate.

Just got some Titegroup but haven't loaded any yet.

Depends if just for plinking or getting close to duplicating S.D. loads.

What powders do you have on hand?

I HATE removing lead from barrels.

Offline mbopp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 04:51:08 PM »
I have a Springer TRP I use for IDPA, USPSA, and steel challenge. Target loads are 3.8gr of Bullseye and a 200gr cast SWC. Power loads are 6gr of Unique ('cuz I have it) or 5.5gr of HP-38 and the same bullet. The target load cycles OK with the stock spring.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government, lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." -- Patrick Henry, American Patriot

Offline Pike60

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 07:45:38 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies. I have an order for some 230 gr. rn from Missouri Bullet Co. that I will start a load with over the next few weeks. I will let you know how they work.Once again thanks for the help and Merry Christmas to you all and your families.

Pike

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 06:41:40 PM »
Pike, that's a bullet I shoot a fair number of.  I like 5.8 grains of unique.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater