Author Topic: Custom Handirifle barrels?  (Read 1176 times)

Offline BAGTIC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Custom Handirifle barrels?
« on: December 01, 2011, 12:32:37 PM »
Anyone know any gunsmiths that can fit a barrel blank to an H&R action? Does it need to be stubbed or can someone braze on an underlug?

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: Custom Handirifle barrels?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 02:59:18 PM »
I've heard of a few brazing on underlugs, but you will need to calculate the forward thrust on the chambering you are going to use.  Straight walled cases should be OK, but bottel neck cases creat a lot fo forward thrust, so that would be a problem I think.  When you stub a barrel you are limited to about .800 diameter at the chamber end, so it is likely that any high pressure cartridge (orhter than a .223 based case) will not have enough chamber thickness to make you happy.  Biggest thing I have done with a stub is a 25-35, and that is a low pressure round based on a 30-30 case.  I have done several stubbed 17 Fireball barrels that did well and my favorite is the 32-20 which just seems to love a Handi.  Here is an article, I cannot tell you if it really works or not or if it will blow up, but someone has done it.  Larry

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=42683
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 07:31:51 PM »
Guess I didn't really answer the question.  Wayne York used to do H&R stubs but I think he doesn't do it any more.  I can understand why, it takes a lot of labor and fitting, just a labor intensive job.  Any gunsmith could do it easily, I have done dozens and I am not a gunsmith, trick would be to do it at a cost that would be affordable if you were doing them to make a living.  Probably why Mr. York doesn't do them any more.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 03:05:17 AM »
I've got one of Larry's .32-20s.  It is a .303 stubbed barrel and is a sweetheart to shoot and hunt with.  Costs pennies to reload.  I've loaded and shot bullets from .310 to .312 dia. and though they have different POIs, they're accurate.  It'll run a 100 gr. XTP to 2200 fps. Mines on a BC Carbine stock set.  It's light and lovely.  Thanks Larry.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 02:59:29 PM »
To the best of my knowledge there are only a select few (maybe only 2 or 3) professional smiths that stub barrels to H&R/NEF receivers. My riflesmith will start offering a switch barrel stub next year that will accommodate several different calibers. Some calibers will need to stay fixed though. Other custom options include rechambering and rebores. Several smiths can do rechamberings but, again, there are only about 6 smiths that I know of that do rebores.

Rechambering can cost anywhere from $20 to $125
Rebores can run from $225 to $500
Stubbed barrels usually run between $350 and $500, depending on who supplies the barrel blank

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline BAGTIC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 04:56:34 PM »
Apparently factory barrel lugs are  MIG welded to the barrel. There are several gunsmiths that make up barrels for T/C and weld on new barrel lugs. Does anyone know any that would do the same for a Handi-rifle?

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 05:55:54 PM »
Apparently factory barrel lugs are  MIG welded to the barrel. There are several gunsmiths that make up barrels for T/C and weld on new barrel lugs. Does anyone know any that would do the same for a Handi-rifle?

Nope. Heat is the enemy... ;)

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 01:49:10 AM »
The trick to welding  the lug is to Really know what you are doing. It is not a job for the average welder.The weld must be applied with enough heat to hold but not too much as to change the properties of the metal.At one time there was a blueprint floating around the net for the Handi underlug.

1plus on Dinny's unnamed Gunsmith he does great work.Wayne York also has a very good reputation.

By the way what cartridge were you going to use?

Good Luck

"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 05:00:18 AM »
Just an FYI, Wayne York planned on welding a donor underlug on the 6.5 Shilen barrel I sent him for the 6.55x55, but he decided he didn't want to try it and stubbed it instead, too much set up work to get it right trying to weld it, he doesn't do stubs either last time I talked to him.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bagdadjoe

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 12:59:29 PM »
Too bad we can't get something similiar a "Savage" set up.  Screw the barrel in to headspace and lock it down with a nut.  Or maybe I'm a nut. :P
"By all means, make friends with the dog...but do not set aside the stick".