Author Topic: Reloads too tight in chamber  (Read 1267 times)

Offline kmittleman

• Trade Count: (0)
Reloads too tight in chamber
« on: December 01, 2011, 05:51:04 PM »
Hey everyone,

I've been reloading .308 in a Rem 700 ADL Varmint and have found that my reloads are becoming to tight in the chamber. I can close the bolt, but it's a bit stiff. I've been using both Fed. and Rem. brass, full size the cases, and trim to the COL. However, factory ammo seems to not have this problem. I am stumped.... :o

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
Re: Reloads too tight in chamber
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 10:08:38 PM »
Dont know if it will help you, but was having same prob. in my springfield 03. Somebody suggested that I aneal the cases, so gave it a try and it worked for me. Iam assuming you are triming and camfering the cases.

Gun Runner

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 11:28:50 PM »
A couple things come to mind for you to check..

1) How about OAL?

2) Are you sure your completely re-sizing the case?

3) Are you excessively crimping the bullet with out knowing OR knowingly crimping and just doing it too much?

Get out the vernier and a re-load as well as a factroy case and start measuring...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 03:11:42 AM »
Another thing to try would be to turn your sizing die down about a 1/4 of a turn. You may not be pushing the shoulder back enough.

One other thing...we all clean our barrels until they sparkle but don't pay very close attention to our chambers. I had this happen once or twice, so I figured I'd pass this along also.

HWD

Offline BruceP

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 05:16:14 AM »
Also make sure that you are in some way putting lube inside the neck. The drag of the expander ball can streach the neck/shoulder area as it pulls out of the case. I personally use Hornady One Shot and spray it in a way that it hits the inside of the neck as well as the outside of the case but you can also dry mica or another dry lube.

Bruce
Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 10:48:06 AM »
Just a thought take a careful look at the shoulder where it join the case body. It's possible to have the die adjust incorrectly and so causing this to swell out. If this happens the cartridge will not chamber as the case is too big in diameter at this point.

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 07:26:53 PM »
Most die instructions say to set the sizing die to fully contact the shell holder with the ram in top most position then turn in the sizing die an additional 1/8 to 1/4 turn.  Also after you turn the die in this additional amount fully engage the shell holder with the die to square everything up before tightening the lock nut on the sizing die. 

If you are following this procedure and the specs on the sizer and shell holder (might want to try a different shell holder) are proper you should not be having this problem.  Another possibility would be a press allowing a spring action and not achieving a complete full resizing of the case.

The only times I have experienced your problem is when I have backed the sizer off to partially size cases and on some wildcat calibers.  On one wildcat I had to mill a few thousands off the shell holder so it would size the brass enough for the bolt to close.

Ken
NRA Life Member

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 11:01:32 PM »
Chamber the round and them remove it for a close inspection. Your bullet might be kissing the rifling, which would make your bolt close hard. I actually make my loads like this so it's the first thing that comes to mind.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 03:16:04 AM »
Hey everyone,

I've been reloading .308 in a Rem 700 ADL Varmint and have found that my reloads are becoming to tight in the chamber. I can close the bolt, but it's a bit stiff. I've been using both Fed. and Rem. brass, full size the cases, and trim to the COL. However, factory ammo seems to not have this problem. I am stumped.... :o

-Kevin

Each time that I've had this happen, its been primarily one of two problems.

After a few loadings, case expansion may become a problem as the brass flows with each loading. Check to see that the resizing die setting has not shifted. You may not be resizing enough. For cases that I have reloaded a few times, and they suddenly become stiff or difficult to chamber, not resizing enough has been the primary problem.

I had one set of dies that caused me fits with a chambering problem that suddenly appeared. Then I found a burr on my new shell holder that was causing the resizing die to not seat properly by a few thousandths. I honed the burr off the shell holder and all my problems went away. Compare your shell holder to others of the same brand...they should all have the same general contours, and the face should be smooth with no bumps or imperfections.

After resizing check the OAL...and trim any long cases.

If neither of these seems to be the problem, then very carefully chamber a round and if it is difficult to chamber, then inspect it with maginfying glass under a bright light.

If you are seeing hints of rings in the brass...discard the old brass and start with new.

If there is marking or very slight maring of the bullet, you are mostly likely too deep in the throat. Seat the bullet a few thousandths deeper into the case. Then re-check the round.

I hope that you find your solution. These problems can just be irritating.  :o
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline aromakr

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 09:25:21 AM »
Your cases might also need trimming, as has been said brass will flow each time its shot, causing  the case too stretch in length after sizing.
Bob

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 04:10:27 AM »
If you have a .45 ACP carbide die run your brass through it. Even full length dies don't touch the web area of the brass. Otherwise check the seating depth for rifing contact,  trim if needed, and I'd back the resizing die back away from the shell holder a bit.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline jhalcott

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 03:38:50 PM »
 How does running a .308 case into a .45 acp case help?? I believe the problem is case length OR a bulge at neck/shoulder junction. Measure these two things against the drawing in the manual. Max length is 2.015", trim to 2.005". Shoulder dia. is .464" according to the Hornady #7 book

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 02:25:37 AM »
Ive owned many 700s through the years and have found some of them have tight cut chambers. Right now i have a 6mm and a 7mag that both need small base dies to run right. Its not nessisarily a bad thing. A gun with tight chambers will work your brass less and sometimes give better accuracy. Try starting with new brass and run them through a small base die the first time and see if after that you can get by the next firing with a neck sizeing die.
blue lives matter

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 12:47:24 PM »
How does running a .308 case into a .45 acp case help??
The .45acp carbide die will squeeze the bottom of the case at the web area. I got this tip from a bench rest shooter. He told me he did it instead of bumping the shoulder back and worked like a champ IF the brass had been fired only in the same chamber.  He also told me a .38/357 mag carbide die will do the same for a .223 case.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein