Author Topic: H&R/NEF vs  (Read 1119 times)

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
H&R/NEF vs
« on: December 02, 2011, 05:04:21 AM »
I came across an interesting article by Randy Wakeman who was writing about the T/C Encore, in which he states:
"The world of "wannabe" Encores is a very thick one these days indeed. The October, 2010 issue of Gun Tests pitted a CVA Accura, CVA Scout, and an H & R against each other in .308, .30-06, and .308 respectively. If you get a chance, read the issue for yourself. The Bergara barreled CVA's were failboats in the accuracy department, as the economy shotgun-actioned H & R put them to shame. History repeats itself: accuracy is simply no accident." (for full article click link below)

http://randywakeman.com/Thompson_Encore_209x50_Magnum_Muzzleloader_Still_the_Mercedes.htm

The partial Oct. 2010 Gun Test article stated:
"The Scout from CVA in 30-06 shot 3-inch-and-bigger groups, which we didn’t think was good enough. LIkewise, the Apex had indifferent accuracy in 308. But we’d buy H&R’s Ultra 308."
(for partial article click link below)

http://www.gun-tests.com/issues/22_10/features/Single-Shot-Rifles5833-1.html

Good job H&R/NEF! Price doesn't always mean quality.  Guess, I'm preaching to the choir.
;D
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: H&R/NEF vs
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 05:24:31 AM »
That's why I don't own any CVA's or T/C's anymore. They make look nicer but I'll take function over form anyday.

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
H&R/NEF vs
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 05:33:47 AM »
Personally I never liked the look if the Encore.
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 05:42:51 AM »
+1 on that, Kevin......the feel either.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 06:16:01 AM »
I've had a Contender that shot very well.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 06:26:09 AM »
I've never owned one of the other Handi Rifle knock offs,  ;D  but I'm sure there are plenty of people out there just like here that will defend them, and there isn't anything wrong with that!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 06:28:33 AM »
I have a 30-06 Handi with synthetic furniture that shoots well, but so does my 7mm-08 CVA Scout SS with synthetic furniture. I am thinking if you took 5 of each factory rifle NIB and put the same optics on them, you would see little or no difference.

I like my Handis and Toppers but the CVA I own is a fine rifle as well. Some of the Gun Tests stuff has not been my experience. But it is food for thought when comparing.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 07:45:47 AM »
Price point will sell the first one, accuracy and dependability will sell subsequent models.  Looks (better looking stocks, better polish, and bluing) will always cause people to try other brands.  Like our Handis, all tip up or break actions have the same issues.  I find it more forgivable with the "budget rifles"

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 11:44:26 AM »
Personally I never liked the look if the Encore.

I agree, I don't like the way the feel or handle either...

I have owned a half dozen Contenders and I did like them allot! I remember seeing the adds in my fathers hunting mags and thinking I WANT THAT!!  Pop always said its a single shot, why on earth would you want that!
Later on, I had my hands on one when I was able to buy a hand gun and again pop talked me out of it...
Couple years later another "deal" fell in my lap and I owned a Contender. Then they came out with the carbine.. Thur the years I bought a 7/30, a 357 Maxi, a Match 22LR and a 375 Win in 21".  I never had any real accuracy problems. With a 14" 357 Herrett I had buku problems and that's when I bought my first Maxi... It was a 10" and later the 21" for hunting. I slowly sold off contender barrels and receivers until I had one pistol and one carbine and just a couple barrels... Ironically Pop has them!! He not very much likes single shots and enjoys shooting them.

Then, I made the transition to H&Rs and haven't really ever looked back...  :o ::) ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline c1skout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 12:18:57 PM »
I liked the fact that NEF/H&R had ejectors.  That they were inexpensive, accurate and light were bonuses to me.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 12:26:20 PM »
yall jus gotta admit.... we got it go'n on !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 01:24:53 PM »
The folks with great minds always come to the same conclusion...... ;D

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 06:49:17 PM »
cw i did the same thing had a super 14 223 my handy shorty shoots better.

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 05:26:19 PM »
 I've had accuracy problems with both Handi Rifles and a couple Encores in the past.  But sine I can buy two Handi's for one Encore, the choice becomes a simple one for me.  Can hardly wait to try another Handi in .308, hopefully the next will do better than the Ultra I had.