Author Topic: BUSHNELL ELITE 4200 vs 3200  (Read 1806 times)

Offline razmuz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
BUSHNELL ELITE 4200 vs 3200
« on: January 14, 2004, 02:04:28 PM »
In the real world of the average deer hunter what is the big difference?  I'm not talking about all the crap they advertise, I'm asking can you really notice a $250 difference when looking through them.  If you haven't actually looked through each don't respond.

Offline razmuz

• Contributor
P.S.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 02:07:24 PM »
The reason I ask is because I went to Bass Pro Shop and checked out both.  In the store, looking out the door, I could not tell the difference.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 03:20:35 PM »
If you follow what a few gun wrtiters say it's hard to really see the difference between a high end Leupold, Burris, Bushnell Elite, Nikon, etc. and the good Euro scopes. The difference is there but not as great as a bottom end scope. Everyone's eyes are different. You may be glad you spent the extra $250 or you may never really see much difference. I can tell the difference between the 2x10 Weaver I had and My Burris and Pentax scopes. The single most important difference was the clarity. And that was at a distance, not close. The scopes were worth twice the cost to me.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 05:00:25 PM »
I buy VXI's because they are a lot less than VXII or VXIII and I cannot personally tell enough of a difference to justify the price.  Now as one other poster said I can the difference when comparing the VXI to a Tasco for instance.  I have never compared the Bushnell's, but I would assume the same would hold true.  My comparison, some drive Cadalics, I drive Chevy's but do not fool around with the KIA's.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004, 05:37:54 PM »
I have both the 3200 and the 4200.  Your question is kind of tough because I am not sure what are you looking for  to justify 250.00?  I think for a lower end scope the 3200 is very good.  But I prefer the 4200 as, to me, it is clearer,  has better eye relief  and I dont have to keep getting my eye closer as I turn up the magnification for shooting targets. My eyes tend to fuzz out at lower light and I can see quite a bit better during those time periods with the 4200.   I think it is hard to just hold a scope/s up to compare unless it is on a rifle and you are looking at it like you would if you were shooting with it at different magnifications etc....

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2004, 03:02:34 AM »
I agree with longwinters.

I also own several 4200s and one 3200.  Note that I only own ONE 3200.  The reason for this is because I like the 4200s better. The 4200 are clearer, sharper, and brighter than the 3200s.  

Please keep in mind that testing scopes in a store is not nearly as beneficial as testing them in the field - especially during dusk and dawn.

Now, is the 4200 $250 better than the 3200?  That's up to you to decide.  For me, the answer is yes.

Zachary

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2004, 04:29:09 AM »
Short answer NO.

In the real world of hunting I've never yet found the Elite 3200s and roughly comparable scopes lacking in any way. Anyone who thinks they "have to" have better is fooling themselves unless they have some real "special" situations to confront. I've been hunting game for over 45 years now and at least 40 of that using scopes. Yeah the old Weaver B and J series scopes back in those days then moving on to the Weaver K series and then to Redfield, Leupold and now Bushell Elites mostly.

In all of that time I lost one deer in my opinion to the scope. An old Weaver K. The scope just wasn't clear and bright enough for me to find a hole thru the bushes to the biggest deer I've run across in the woods while hunting. Maybe there wasn't one. But I sure have always felt that if that scope had been of better quality I'd have found a hole to shoot thru.

I hunt thick timber and hunt early and late. With some handgun scopes I have felt handicapped and knew that IF a deer came by I'd not have a shot. BUT one didn't come by so even with handgun scopes I've not lost a deer to the scope.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Zachary

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2004, 04:34:20 AM »
GB,

So the question therefore begs to be asked - taking everything that you said into consideration, as was asked in the initial post, 1) do you believe that the 4200s are better scopes than the 3200s, and 2) do you believe that the 4200s are worth the extra $250?

Zachary

Offline tominboise

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2004, 06:04:48 AM »
Well then, what about a 3200 5-15X40 for $254 versus a 4200 4-16X40 for $339?  The difference is $84.  I need to buy one or the other for a new .223 varmint rifle.  I think I will save the $84 for ammo, and get the 3200!

Thanks, GB!
Regards,

Tom

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2004, 07:41:29 AM »
Yes the Elite 4200 is a better scope than the Elite 3200. Is it worth $250 more. Dunno. That's a decision each person has to make for themselves.

What I am saying is that if you are a US hunter who hunts within the confines of legal shooting hours at big game animals I do not believe you'll ever in your hunting career have cause to say "wow I sure wish I'd had the 4200 instead of this 3200" as a result of the 3200 failing to do what was needed. Just ain't gonna happen.

Now if you hunt at night as is legal in TX for hogs and some other places for varmints and predators that's a different situation altogether and has different requirements.

This is an issue folks just do not seem willing to face with an open mind. They listen to the rag writers who's ONLY job is to help sell new and improved whatever's for the folks who advertise with the magazine. I try to speak with a voice of reason and tell you what 45+ years of using guns in the field has taught me.

As a for instance. If you are a western hunter and hunt game most often seen in open country the rag writers will have you toting a super duper magnum rifle wearing a varmint/target scope. Bunk! The Indians got by fine with bow and arrow. Many thousands of archers still do today. Then the first white folks got by fine with muzzle loaders most often flintlocks. Many thousands still today do fine with muzzle loaders on western game. Then along comes the magnificent and flat shooting .30-30 and it over shadowed them all. With iron sights it has killed more game east and west than likely any other round yet. Still does every year in the hands of capable shots both east and west.

So why should you now need a 7MM or .300 Super Duper long shooter and a target/varmint scope with a top end magnification of 20X to 24X to do what many thousands can do just fine with  bow and arrow and iron sighted muzzle loaders or iron sighted lever rifles? Beats the heck outta me.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Zachary

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2004, 08:31:15 AM »
Quote from: Graybeard
Yes the Elite 4200 is a better scope than the Elite 3200. Is it worth $250 more. Dunno.

Now if you hunt at night as is legal in TX for hogs and some other places for varmints and predators that's a different situation altogether and has different requirements.

GB

So true.

As you know, I'm one of those fellas who hunts hogs in Texas until very, very dark hours.  In fact, it got so late, that I was hunting in the moonlight.  I was using my 3200 1.5x-4.5x-32mm w/ Firefly.  I had a hard time seeing throught the scope (which is perfectly understandable give that it was VERY VERY dark.)  In any event, before I left, I used my Elite 4200 for comparison.  What a difference.  The images were brighter and clearer.  Also, I could distinguish between the leaves and the branches.  Granted, no pigs came out to feed, but the 4200 definately prevailed.

But you are generally right.  When hunting during the day, or at least until legal shooting hours, it's up to each hunter, and his or her budget, whether or not the 4200 is worth the extra money.  I tend to think as follows:  is the 4200 worth the extra $250?  Well, then I ask, is the Swarovski worth the EXTRA $1,000 over the 4200?  Then I just buy the 4200.  :grin:

Zachary

Offline razmuz

• Contributor
FOLKS JUDGE THINGS BY COST
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2004, 12:51:54 PM »
I know you get what you pay for, but I also know I can get as far in a Ford as Cadillac.  My granddaughters can't order at the ice cream store without knowing how much things cost.  I tell them to get what they want, but they tend to judge things by the cost.  I have a feeling if you let a lot of hunters judge scopes without knowing their prices their evaluations would be superising.  ANYWAY, I went ahead and ordered a Burris (American made) 3X9X40 and got a free spottin scope in the deal for less than $200.  I may be kicking myself in the but later, but I'll let you folks know.  Thanks for yhe feedback.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2004, 09:30:43 AM »
Which Burris model?  It sounds like you got the Fullfield II model.

Zachary

Offline razmuz

• Contributor
Response to Mr. Zachary
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2004, 11:21:26 AM »
I read about it somewhere on this forum.  I checked out my "Natchez" catalog an it was right there on page 8 for $199.95 which is pretty close to two hundred bucks.  It's a Fullfield II, 3-9X40 and a free 20X50mm spotting scope.  I'm hoping it's a good one.  It does have a lifetime warranty.  DID I DO GOOD?  or am I going to wish I had got the Bushnell 3200.  While I've got your attention, how would you compare a Bushnell 4200 against a Zeiss Conquest?  I have a German made 4X Zeiss that the Scope Company in Red Oak, Tex will give $200 trade in on a Zeiss 3-9X40.  What do you think?

Offline woodseye

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2004, 04:26:19 PM »
I have a German made 4X Zeiss that the Scope Company in Red Oak, Tex will give $200 trade in on a Zeiss 3-9X40. What do you think?

I feel the Conquest is every bit the equal of the 4200 Elite and in fact prefer the constant eye relief, euro focus, and etched reticle in the Zeiss above all other scopes in its class. I would trade if the Conquest is priced right to begin with, they are selling for $350-375 outright so if you can get one for $150-175 and your scope thats not a bad deal. Lifetime transferable warranty and a very clear and bright scope for the money.

woods
PUT GOD FIRST
Shoot Straight - Shoot Often - Shoot Smokeless - Shoot Savage!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2004, 04:46:44 AM »
Well you could have bought it from SWFA for $2 less and been supporting a Sponsor of this site at the same time. So I'd say you didn't do as well as you could. SWFA's ad telling you about the free spotting scope has been up at the top of this forum for quite some while now.

You'll seldom find anyone who will beat the prices of all of my advertisers on scopes. One of them will most often give you the lower price on any given scope.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline razmuz

• Contributor
SORRY
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2004, 02:10:24 PM »
If I had known about the sponsorships I would have ordered through them.  Maybe next time.

Offline diggdug

re
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2004, 01:22:39 AM »
The "Optic Zone" in Michigan has some good prices that are sometimes less than SFWA. I just ordered an Elite 3200 and 4200 from them and got free shipping and the price on the 3200 was less than SFWA.
Most people say I'm an idiot!

Offline Zachary

Re: re
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2004, 08:02:03 AM »
Quote from: diggdug
I just ordered an Elite 3200 and 4200.

You made the right decision! :grin:

Zachary

Offline diggdug

There is a difference
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2004, 01:40:42 AM »
I just recieved my new scopes, they are B&L Elites in a 3200 3-9x50 and a 4200 in a 2.5-10X50. Both scopes are of excellent quality but I must admit there is a difference in brightness, clarity, and sharpness of the image in the 4200 over the 3200 when set at the same power. Also, the turret housings on the 4200 are milled out of the tube and on the 3200 they are glued on. Just thought I would let you all know that the 4200 is worth a little more money if you are planning to hunt in low light conditions. INMHO, Thanks!
Most people say I'm an idiot!

Offline Zachary

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2004, 10:14:54 AM »
Congrats on the purchases!  Let us know how they perform after you sight them in!

Zachary