Author Topic: Gun wont stay locked  (Read 472 times)

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Gun wont stay locked
« on: December 03, 2011, 01:05:02 PM »
This season my Pardner will not stay locked closed either with or without a shell in it.  It is quite frustrating and probably dangerous as well.  I have had it since 1993 so it may just be worn out.

Any ideas on how to fix this cheaply?

Let me know and thank you.
Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
Re: Gun wont stay locked
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 03:38:57 PM »
Is the latch button coming up?  It could be the latch return spring is broken...

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 04:53:35 PM »
Is the latch button coming up?  It could be the latch return spring is broken...

-WH-

Nope.  It just pops back open when I snap it into place. 
Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 05:39:08 AM »
Could be a broken catch(latch) or catch spring, possibly even the trigger guard since that's where the spring nests, does the barrel release button feel normal or weak? Could also just be a build up of gunk on the parts including the bottom of the barrel and frame that's keeping the barrel from locking up all the way, check the barrel and breech face too, clean it good and see if that helps. A good spray of a dry lube cleaner like Hornady One Shot might not hurt, even WD40 would work, just be sure to clean in off the barrel catch and the locking ledge on the barrel after doing this tho.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 07:08:50 AM »
I agree, check your latch spring. Also be sure your latch and shelf are clean and oil/grease free!

It can be tricky to get back in properly, I like to stick one end of the spring in grease then into its recessed hole in trigger guard. This holds it nicely in position while you reassemble.

Good luck,
CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.