Author Topic: BC 45/70 a real stomper  (Read 515 times)

Offline Mike in Virginia

• Trade Count: (0)
BC 45/70 a real stomper
« on: December 03, 2011, 02:11:27 PM »
Last day of deer season here today.  Bucks and does both legal.  I was easing over a ridge with my B/C and spotted what I thought was a 4 or 6 point buck standing with a large doe.  Range was about 80 yards.  I was loaded with Remington greenbox 405's.  Sights are from Skinner. 

I lined up everything just right, using a tree for support.  At the shot, the buck dropped.  Oh boy, I thought, venison!  I walked to where he had fallen.  To my dismay, he'd been shot about a week ago high on the left front leg.  The wound and festered and blackened.  Hair was absent around the wound which was about the size of a softball.  Bones were sticking out.  Needless to say I didn't keep the carcass.  Some would, but I'm sure the infection was in his blood. 

A sad thing, and I'm glad I was there to stop his misery.  If there's a bright side, that was my first shot ever with a 45/70 at a deer.  It seems they go nowhere at all when that big bullet stomps 'em.  It turns out that the buck would have been a six pointer, but one side was broken, maybe by another bullet.  Gun season in VA is a free-for-all, and down right scary at times.  People go absolutely nuts to get a shot at a deer.  I would say the SOB that made such a sloppy shot on the buck and crippled him, simply got something brown in the crosshairs and yanked the trigger.

I meant this to be about the B/C; got carried away.  The thing about a B/C is, the long sight radius and superb accuracy begs for peep sights.  The set that comes on it from the factory ain't worth a hoot.  When I first got it, I replaced the rear with a target knob Williams, and set the front one up with Schafer inserts.  That provided terrific groups at the range on a black and white targets, but in the woods, those black inserts shaded by the hood of the front sight, made for an unclear sight picture.  So, I bought a set of Skinner sights, the front one being a brass post, not shaded by a hood, and very easy to see in the woods.  The rear one of course is a perfect hunting sight.  Aiming into the sun, away from the sun, against light or dark backgrounds, I can see those Skinner sights, and it was a thrill to line them up on that buck, until I found his previous injury. 

Earlier in the day, a spike came by at about 40 yards.  The early sun lit him up and the sight picture was "picture perfect."  I let him pass, but I have nothing but praise for that long B/C barrel and good peep sights.  For as far as the 45/70 is effective, good peeps are all you need.     

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
Re: BC 45/70 a real stomper
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 04:33:59 PM »
I shot the biggest 9 point of my hunting career last year during late ML season here in N.Y. He had a wound in his right hind quarter. Some one obviously took a shot at him while he was running away. He was full of infection. He would not have made it through the winter. I did get a nice set of antlers.
 Sounds like the BC is a shooter, all my 45-70s like those Remington 405s.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 04:55:45 PM »
Congratulations to both of you, and Thank You BOTH for being responsible sportsmen.  We are in short supply these days. 

I think I am going to give myself a rear Skinner sight for Christmas.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 03:21:55 AM »
Great story, but sure wish you could have had some venison to take home!
Post up in the Handi success stories for the 45-70.   The old gal needs some love over there too!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.