Author Topic: H&R and 2012  (Read 2381 times)

Offline BAGTIC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: H&R and 2012
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2011, 04:30:06 PM »
The 32/20 will never be able to match the 300 Whisper.
The 300 brass is already stronger and more durable than 32/20 could ever be made. No brass maker is going to want to make special brass, that wouldn't fit many existing 32/20, for a one off gun. How long before it became an orphan?
There are far more bullets available in .308 diameter than in .312 especially heavier rifle weights.
There are lot better cases to use in designing a new rimmed small .30 case than the old 32/20. A .357 Magnum or .357 Maximum would be far preferable and there have been both wildcat and factory designs based on those cases for years and dies are already available.

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
H&R and 2012
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2011, 05:12:37 PM »
Swamp, can you provide a source? I've done some looking...
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2011, 01:58:37 AM »
I'm not expecting much, if anything new...

On first observation I would have expected the two Marlin calipers to have been added to the line. But based on there lack of popularity, I even doubt that. But it would be nice to play with a new caliber like the 30 or 338 Marlin. (Are you listening Illion)

The 327 would have been a natural as its gaining popularity. But problems with its power have plagued makers like Charco, Who unless I'm mistaken have dropped the chambering from their line. As they could not stop it from damaging the cranes in the cylinders. Now we know this is moot if chambered in a H&R it still hurts cause this is a pistol caliber.
Personally I feel it and even the H&R Mag may simply be tring to recreate the wheel as the lovely little 32WCF does anything these other to can do better. The lone complaint, I acknowledge, is the delicate cases. But I even that, I could NOT fill my hand with crushed cases in over 25 years loading it.

SO I guess I'll be easy to please this year... I don't expect anything new to be offered.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline earl54

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2011, 03:36:36 AM »
300 blackout ,if its on 221 case,(dont know case length)cut rim recess and form cases from 38sp,357,or max = small rimed 30cal that will prob shoot cast bullets very well-Ill take 2!!!!

Offline ibgp3

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
  • Recovering after nearly 40 years of PTSD
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2011, 03:41:16 AM »
Almost a barrel blank that can be whatever you want.
Your rimmed version sounds good.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2011, 03:44:58 AM »
30 years ago the .223 necked out to 7mm was an early favorite in IHMSA. All it took was a 7mm neck sizer and shoot the brass over and over. I don't remember any wearing out, (but that was 30 years ago).

Too bad H&R didn't go that route, I've still got brass and dies.

.30 x 223 should be a pretty good cartridge,  but it will also give you a barrel that can be rechambered for just about any .30 caliber cartridge.
That sounded like a great idea, do you remember what velocities it produced?
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2011, 04:41:32 AM »
300 blackout ,if its on 221 case,(dont know case length)cut rim recess and form cases from 38sp,357,or max = small rimed 30cal that will prob shoot cast bullets very well-Ill take 2!!!!

It's a 7.62x35.

Tim

http://300aacblackout.com/
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ibgp3

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
  • Recovering after nearly 40 years of PTSD
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2011, 04:42:14 AM »

7X47 for IHMSA That was before everybody who wanted one had a chrony.
I bought a chrony then, but it didn't work.
I would believe whatever the books say about 7mm TCU.
This is from Handloads.com
130gr SP     28.0 gr AAC 2460        2,100 fps  from a 14" TC
If there were a 7mm TCU Handi Barrel I would want it rimmed the way earl says.

Back to the 300 rimmed.
The pictures show the case about the same length as the shoulder on the 223.
That will be too long for 357mag brass, but the Max brass should be good.

Quick says 35mm
35mm = about 1.38 in
more than mag and less than max

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2011, 11:48:07 AM »
Small mention of NEF 300 AAC Blackout on Gun Blast.

With the technological knowledge and manufacturing ability of AAC, combined with the support of the other companies in the Freedom Group, it looks like the 300 AAC Blackout has a bright future ahead of it. AAC has already shown an affordable NEF single-shot as well as a Model 7 Remington bolt-action chambered for the 300 AAC Blackout cartridge. I had the opportunity to fire both, and they shot very well. The 300 AAC Blackout is a very efficient cartridge, with a much greater terminal effect than its diminutive cartridge case would indicate. Nothing is wasted in the case design, and it takes very little powder and muzzle blast to achieve the resulting performance of the little cartridge.

http://gunblast.com/300Blackout.htm

Thanks, Dinny

Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2011, 12:03:49 PM »
I would be happy to  buy you coffee anyway were you close enough. And if you checked the special order posts, I am a big fan of and vociferous supporter of the special order feature, I might even buy one of these things just for the weird factor. I have a standing offer to put money up front on a 25/20, 25/35, 405 Win, something that would not come from anywhere else in that format. If I was going for something like this, I would be thinking Savage bolt (unless it was an AR in some form). I can buy a 243/308/270/30/06 bolt in a Mossberg CHEAPER than a new Handi, a perfectly good, functional rifle. The lure of the handi is it is "different", I have yet to see a 94 Win 30/30 that is as accurate or versatile as a handi. The only other viable 45/70  (or 444 ) is  $600 Marlin lever gun. Both have OAL problems and are not as friendly to cast bullets as my handi. I have a tackdriving 25/06 Savage, which fills a totally different niche than a handi, I would not buy a 25/06 barrel at all, but I would give my eye teeth for a 25/35, even more for a 25/20. The guy who mentioned making a 256 Maximum was very interesting. To each his own. 8)

Oh yeah!!!!
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!