Author Topic: A different 22mag  (Read 2400 times)

Offline boatboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (92)
  • A Real Regular
A different 22mag
« on: December 04, 2011, 01:47:28 PM »
The Lovely Miss Peggy and I have started looking for a Lab. So Saturday we took a ride to Jays Sporting Goods Clare MI on Saturdays folks who have litters bring them to show. Well for what ever reason there were no Labs there.
So we went in and I love to snoop thier used rack and there it was
I found a full size 22 Mag just like my Ultra Hunters
I have a few Sportsters but this was really cool Ultra Stock etc
So of course I needed it it had a stinky scope on it not inc in the price great keep it
I did get mount and rings and so I am ready Doug had the 6X Vortex on his holiday special I had no Idea why I needed one maybe this is why
I have been hearing Vortex a lot so I wanted to see one it maybe right for this

The Sportsters will be great for beating around the woods but this will also be fun

Hank

Man Stinky pictures but you get the idea
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King

Say what you want, pick on him. but Ringo is still a Beatle

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: A different 22mag
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 02:07:51 PM »
I have one,
Great rifle!
Get a hammer extenter and you will be happier.
I have a 4X38 Weaver on mine and it is a great small game and varmint rifle.
Mine seems to like the lighter bullets like the Win 34 grain JHP or the Remington 33 grain Ballistic tips.
I took a bunch out for accuracy tests and then took pumpkins purchased the day after Halloween (read that Cheap) out to the range to see what damage the different bullets made.  I remember some making huge entry holes and small exit, and the reverse.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 05:14:51 AM »
Nice snag Hank!!  ;) It's really too bad H&R discontinued the 22mag Ultra Varmint, but at least a fella can add Ultra stocks to their Sportster to get close, short the bull barrel anyway.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline boatboy

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 12:50:12 PM »
Hey Tim

The question I have is is the chamber offset a bit to striker the rim of the rimfire primer?

Its a SB1 reciever ( I was curious) its it just a typical reciever that would also fire a centerfire cartrige? I know the limitations I dont plan I am just curious

It is kinda cool It didnt take long to decide I needed it about 8 seconds!
Hank

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 01:00:16 PM »
Hey Tim

The question I have is is the chamber offset a bit to striker the rim of the rimfire primer?

Its a SB1 reciever ( I was curious) its it just a typical reciever that would also fire a centerfire cartrige? I know the limitations I dont plan I am just curious

It is kinda cool It didnt take long to decide I needed it about 8 seconds!
Hank
I had the same question right after I bought mine and the answer is you can have any caliber you want as liong as it is 17M2, 17 HMR, 22LR or 5mm Rem.
The frame is Rimefire only.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 01:00:52 PM »
Hank,  it's a rimfire barrel, the frame is an SS1, not SB1 although it is cast iron, SS1 frames have an offset firing pin for the rimfire barrel instead of using a center striking pin like SB1/SB2 on Versa-pak barrels that have off center bores.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 01:10:57 PM »
Yup GREAT gun!!

I have (had) one too!! I sold it when the 17HMR shot circles around it!! ::)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline boatboy

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 06:35:23 AM »
Oh Boy here we go HAHA

Yep the 17 WILL shoot flater or longer
and if you are shooting squirels or crows great
But this time of year when a Coyote gets his winter coat a 22mag wins

I do think this is the most debated topic I have ever seen

In any case thats why you need one of each!
Ruger paddle stocks I have 77/22lr 77/22mag and 77/17hmr It just has to be!

Thanks for the info on the receiver its useful
Hank

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 11:34:20 AM »
Oh Boy here we go HAHA

Yep the 17 WILL shoot flater or longer
and if you are shooting squirels or crows great
But this time of year when a Coyote gets his winter coat a 22mag wins

I do think this is the most debated topic I have ever seen

In any case thats why you need one of each!
Ruger paddle stocks I have 77/22lr 77/22mag and 77/17hmr It just has to be!

Thanks for the info on the receiver its useful
Hank
I think the debate between the 17HMR and the 22 Mag is one of the 25-06 or 270 Vs 30-06  all work, and the bullet selection between the 22 mag, with about 8 different bullet weights and styles and the 3-4 for the 17HMR.
I too have at least one of each except the 17M2 None of them.
I see advantages to the 17HMR and the 22 Mag.  I would shoot the mag more, except for the rocky area we varmint hunt in and the little 17 bullet vaporizes if you miss and hit a rock.  Even the light 22 mag rounds will have a Zing effect and with some houses near by... Better safe than sorry.
My buddy that I talked his wife into getting him a 17 for a Birthday present, will not even shoot my 22 mag saying that the 17 is far superior.
I think the 17 is easier to pick ammo for either get a 17 grain ballistic tip or a 20 grain HP or FMJ.  All the bullets and ammo are loaded by CCI so the tip color changes but that is about it, from what I understand.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 12:03:27 PM »
HA HA..

No argument, I have been a 22Mag supporter and user since I discovered the round when I bought a Marlin 783...  I LOVE it, I have a number of rifles and a passel of handguns so chambered...BUT then I fired a 17HMR...  Face it 22mags like Hornets have been plagued with accuracy issues for many mnay years... The 17 shot right out of the box and hundreds of rounds later still going strong.

I have shot a couple wood chucks countless squirrels and a couple coyotes too. I do like the 22Mag, but the confidence I have with the 17's makes me use the mag less and less and the 17 more and more!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 12:13:52 PM »
HA HA..

No argument, I have been a 22Mag supporter and user since I discovered the round when I bought a Marlin 783...  I LOVE it, I have a number of rifles and a passel of handguns so chambered...BUT then I fired a 17HMR...  Face it 22mags like Hornets have been plagued with accuracy issues for many mnay years... The 17 shot right out of the box and hundreds of rounds later still going strong.

I have shot a couple wood chucks countless squirrels and a couple coyotes too. I do like the 22Mag, but the confidence I have with the 17's makes me use the mag less and less and the 17 more and more!

CW
I have a marlin 882 that I had somer accuracy issues with, went to he CCI V max + something ammo in the early 90's and that fixed it.  Right now that rifle is shooting the Rem Ballistic tip 33 grain ammo very well, well up till I took the scope off.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 12:18:17 PM »
I wanted the 782... had to settle for the 783. STILL Im no fan of a tube fed 22...

Mine was very accurate with WIN FMJs! but only OF with any HP avalible at the time... Nothing fancy back then!!!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 12:37:20 PM »
Next time you are at your favorite gun shop or giant sporting goods retailer (Bass Pro, Cabelas, Sheels, Wall Mart)   Take a look at the new 22 mag loads out there.
When i bought the single shot 22 mag i think I bought a box of everything at Bass Pro and went to the range to see what shot the best.  After seeing what my choiuces were I brought out pumpkins to the range and wanted to see what they did when hitting something kind of hard and fleshy.  Figured it woud be a good stand in for Coyote, wood chuck and other medium game sized animals.  Withthe seeds and stuff in side acting like guts.
I was amazed at how differently the different premium bullets acted when impacting and more amazed at how almost all of them exited the basket ball sized pumpikns.  I went from the Federal 30 grain to the federal 50 grain and every thing inbetween.  The ones that stood out were the Federal 50 grain that acted like a FMJ and put holes in and out with very little expansion if any.
The Win 34 grain blew huge holes when entering (about .30) and small 22 caliber exit holes.  The Remington and CCI 33 grain HP acted about like you would expect 22 hole in dime sized hole out.
But set up your own experaments as to accuracy and destructive or not power.
The coolest thing we did with the 17 was we filled one of the plastic barrels you get withthe hard pretzels (after eating all the pretzels) with Jello.  My shot the 3 gallon jug in the top 3rd with the 17 hmr from 15 yards.  It blew the top in hald and about 1/2 a gallon of jello shot out about 10 feet high.
I shot the middle with my 50 grain HP out of the 22 mag only to see a strait line right throug it in the jello.
He then shot the barrel in the bottom third and it blew the bottom of the jar out but picked up the 2 gallon a good 8 to 10 inches and dumped it on the side.

Offline boatboy

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 03:40:42 PM »
I love post that are

heres what I have done

not what I think or what I have read

I like that this is civil another site I thought was going to start a civil war

Hank

Offline Qaz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 04:04:22 AM »
Mcwoodduck- When did they start making them in 5mm?

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 06:21:31 AM »
Nice find! Is the stock the orangey color we see or is it just the light? Anyway, I like that color, mine came with the cin. lams, pretty blond. Other 22Mags have come and gone but the H&R has stayed. I shoot mostly the Win Dynapoint copper plated 45gr. lead HPs at about 1500fps chronoed out of mine (about $7/bx of 50, they duplicate the old original 22WCF). The Win Superx 'real' maggies hit about 1" higher at 50yd with my dead-on -0- for the Dynapoints, so for reaching on out there I can switch ammo and not be chasing the scope adjustments.
I have an old 3/4" tube El Paso Weaver 6X on it now (used to be a 4X) and it is a nice combination.
Enjoy!
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 07:50:49 AM »
Never did but H&R owners are resourceful.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 03:18:57 AM »
Never did but H&R owners are resourceful.

Yep , an as far as I know , I'm the only one to have a H&R in 5mm RF , thanks to Larry , he haid he would not make another because their a PITA to build !  ;D ;) :D :o

Makes me LUCKY   :)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Qaz

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 07:10:58 AM »
Stimpy- So you have the one Larry built. How does it shoot? I thought I read in one of his posts that he could not get the support for the 5mm case that he was looking for in the Handi-rifle.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 02:33:17 AM »
The 5mm H&R would be neat. I would. It one! I have squirreled away a couple. Ricks of ammo even tho the Remmy 581 is long gone...
I remember my uncle shooting wood chucks in the head, in the horse field one day. Simply standing next to a tall fence post he made for just this purpose. It effectively took the top of there heads right off!!

A couple days ago I acquired a beautiful Marlin 783!! A good friend up in Vermont had it. I call him when I am looking for things as he frequents many gun shops up there and has been a great resource for me finding obscure items. This one he had but did not use much since getting a 17.  It was his "bathroom" gun. ;) ::)

It's mine now!!;)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline ricciprice

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 10:59:30 AM »
Man I am lookin for one dees!!!! Nice rifle!

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 07:26:01 PM »
nice find enjoy. ;)

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 07:30:41 PM »
cw that looks just like the marlin i just re finished for my wife but 22lr nice gun a pawn shop find. :D