Author Topic: Shakari Not firing  (Read 710 times)

Offline kdog70

• Trade Count: (0)
Shakari Not firing
« on: December 04, 2011, 02:01:42 PM »
I was given a H&R shakari 45-70 and I have fired it say maybe 350 times. It wears a fixed 4X scopes and shoots better than I can shoot big bores off the bench. Recently it makes primer strikes but the round will not go off. I been using leverrevolution ammo for it because I got it soo cheap (5 bucks a box). Is it a firing pin issue or did my Springfield loads stretch the receiver?

kdog

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Shakari Not firing
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 05:34:29 PM »
Firing pin. Clean it and inspect it with a magnifying glass. Shove it toward the chamber and check how much it protrudes. You might also want to check the hammer spring, it's probably due for replacement.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 08:54:12 PM »
Firing pin. Clean it and inspect it with a magnifying glass. Shove it toward the chamber and check how much it protrudes. You might also want to check the hammer spring, it's probably due for replacement.

1 either the spring has become fatigued, or the firing pin is either damaged, or has crud blocking forward motion.  It hits the primer, but does not have enough force to crush the priming mixture pellet.

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 11:21:02 PM »
Make sure you are holding the trigger all the way to the rear during the shot.
With a heavy recoil rifle it's easy to squeeze the trigger and then let off as the rife recoils.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 11:45:18 PM »
Good advice, Pull it apart for a good cleaning and mechanical check up. But I suspect its a fatagued main spring...

Order a wolffe extra power!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 05:46:12 AM »

The Shikari's don't have a transfer bar system.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 06:45:51 AM »
As all these guys have said make sure you are good to go with the firing pin /spring/ cleaning. If that don't fix it then you can look for the frame issue. My Shikari still shoots fine but you sure can tell how slow the action is when you squeeze the trigger compared to many other H&R's I have I to suspect weak spring.The only thing that shoots slower is my old Huntsman muzzleloaders. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Weatherman68

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 11:30:02 AM »
I have one of these too and I also had the same problem. I replaced the springs and that took care of the FTF issues.   No transfer bar to be concerned about with these!!   I was shooting reloads with CCI prmers which have a history of being "hard".  I since have switched to Winchester primers and with the new springs have not had a FTF at all.  Enjoy your Shikari!!   ;D
Why is there never enough time to do it right but there is always enough time to do it again?

Offline kdog70

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 12:03:11 PM »
Thanks all. I feel more comfortable being custom or semi custom bolt guns than I do single shots....I dont know why. I will let you know what I find. Do I get spring kits from someone like brownells or numrich?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 12:18:19 PM »
There are no spring "kits" I'm aware of, just the hammer spring by itself, the only other spring you may want to replace is the firing pin return spring. Wolff makes extra power springs, you just need to determine whether you need the single or double coil, I suspect single coil, but don't know for sure, Midway, Brownells, Numrich as well as Wolff sell both, see links in the FAQs and Help sticky, you'll need the trigger work instructions from the FAQs also.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 04:24:21 PM »
There are no spring "kits" I'm aware of, just the hammer spring by itself, the only other spring you may want to replace is the firing pin return spring. Wolff makes extra power springs, you just need to determine whether you need the single or double coil, I suspect single coil, but don't know for sure, Midway, Brownells, Numrich as well as Wolff sell both, see links in the FAQs and Help sticky, you'll need the trigger work instructions from the FAQs also.

Tim

tim the shikari neds the double coil spring.
bernie :) 
if its feral its in peril

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 05:04:18 PM »
Thanks Bernie.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 02:30:31 AM »
+1 on cleaning out the firing pin channel, etc.; also, you may notice that F-pin return spring is pretty stout. I opted to use a softer spring (from my bins) on the old 12ga. with similar issues and it works fine.
Dont discount the fact that you are having this with only one type of ammo! Even so, you do want it to go off with factory, so a 'tune' is in order.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 07:24:57 AM »
Dont discount the fact that you are having this with only one type of ammo!

Doesn't Hornady shorten the brass on that ammo? Not that it should make a difference but you never know.

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 01:12:17 AM »

The Shikari's don't have a transfer bar system.

that is partly true but they do have a hammer block which is deactivated when the trigger is pulled,if you try and push the hammer forward with out pulling the trigger it wont go,i think this was a better system than the transfer bar system jmo.
Bernie :)
if its feral its in peril