Author Topic: Base and ring height selection for Sako 75  (Read 443 times)

Offline retiree

• Trade Count: (0)
Base and ring height selection for Sako 75
« on: January 14, 2004, 04:20:56 PM »
I too just purchased a M75 Sako synthetic stainless rifle and I have been finding out that ring choices are few and far between.  The Leupolds are fine but medium height is the lowest they come in (both nickel, matte and blued).  I haven't called them but I imagine that these would accommodate at least a MM obj., and perhaps a MM.  I don't like any more height (or objective size) than necessary, so I've found only come up with one other lead.  Sako makes combination ring-base sets where the optilock base is not required.  They list a LOW set in BLUE only.  So if one is interested enough, you could purchase this set and have it refinished in either matte or dull nickle.  I have tried all other sources but if someone has found one that I haven't, please inform me.

Offline Eagle Eye

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 03:33:22 PM »
I hasd the same problem a few years ago with mounts on a couple of Sako 75  SS's.  I had the Sako opti-locks installed on one and the Leupold mount on the other.   The Leupold mount was better because it was less money,  it was much lighter and got the scope to just above the barrel for good cheek/stock alignment.  The Sako was far too high for my liking, even with a 40mm AO scope.  Those Europeans generally use huge objective lenses for night hunting so it is easy to see why they make them tall.  However, if they want to make in-roads in the NA marketplace, you would think they would match their products for our situation.

Offline tominboise

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2004, 03:47:43 PM »
I used Talley's on my Sako 75.  They came in a low enough height to properly fit a Zeiss COnquest 3X9X40mm down low over the barrel.

Tom
Regards,

Tom

Offline Back40

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 02:36:46 AM »
Tominboise...I am considering going with Tallye's as well. Did you go with the fixed rings?

Offline tominboise

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 04:06:45 AM »
Yup, the fixed talley's that clamp directly to the Sako dovetail.  Worked out very nicely.  If I had a digital camera that was worth a darn, I'd post a picture.

Tom
Regards,

Tom

Offline Eagle Eye

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2004, 05:12:44 AM »
I have heard about the Talleys and see them in pictures but there are rare birds up here in the great white north.   :cry:

Offline 308TIKKA

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2004, 12:49:59 AM »
tom-
sent you a PM