Author Topic: Site Height Conclusions  (Read 463 times)

Offline Stuart C.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Site Height Conclusions
« on: December 05, 2011, 05:08:29 PM »
Hi all,
So I'm going thru the faqs and just had a couple questions:

Where did Bernie find the third knurled screw for his FP H&R TK site shown on the link below.  Is this replacing the screw that he refers to in his message, or is there another screw requiring the small screwdriver.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,82250.msg503960.html#msg503960

I thought I saw a post where someone just ordered the knurled screw, but can't find the post.

Also, on the front site, we should use the 17A Lyman no higher than .404 ?  I ask because Freedom First suggested one over .471 in height when used with the FP.

Maybe the Smith site is the way to go but they're twice the price.

I wonder if folks on the board with the experience with the different sites can fill in the blanks just to add to the faqs:

- The original equipment WRGS site and Lyman front allow users to shoot 6" low at 50 to _____ yds.
- The Williams FP with a TOTAL front site height of .404 will shoot 50 to _____ yds.
- The Smith sight with a Skinner front blade of .___ height can shoot to 1,000 yds.

Sorry for all the questions and particulars  ;D :P
Thanks!!!!

PS: by the way, I submitted a RFQ for a brass trigger housing but haven't heard back yet.  Just one place.  Going to try another. I will pass along any info of course.  I think some outfits shy away when they hear firearm related parts due to liability concerns.  Who knows.  More later.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Site Height Conclusions
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 05:14:47 PM »
Look in the FAQs in either the Peep and Firesights or Long Range Sights link, Brownell's sells the gib lock knob screw. Standard sight for the 45-70 BC should be a .494" tall 17A sight, but H&R puts the 38-55 .584" 17A sight on it instead!  ::)  The .404" is an excellent option for long range.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: Site Height Conclusions
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 02:25:43 AM »
FWIW, on my 38-55 (similar ballistic coefficient bullets at similar velo have a similar trajectory) with the WGRS and factory 17A is only good for about 125ish yds. After that I had to 'get above' the adj. lines to reach to about 150.
I had the target (FP?) on my very first 38-55 and it was good to at least 200yd. 'schuetzen', but I never went over that to find the limit.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974