Author Topic: Mythbusters  (Read 2494 times)

Offline subdjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
Mythbusters
« on: December 06, 2011, 03:29:48 PM »
Wonder if this will make it on the show:

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/cannonball-fired-mythbusters-stunt-goes-through-du/nFwRj/

DUBLIN, Calif. —

A house sustained some damaged late Tuesday afternoon when a cannonball that was fired as part of a stunt for the Discovery Channel show Mythbusters went through the wall of a home in  a residential area of Dublin.

The Alameda County Sheriff's Department confirmed that at around 4:15 p.m. a cannonball was "misfired" from the Alameda County bomb range and went through the home located at the intersection of Cassata Place and Old Westbury Way.

According to the sheriff's department spokesperson said "the cannonball took a few unfortunate bounces" and ended up going through the home.

No one was hurt in the incident, but there are emergency vehicles still on the scene investigating what happened and assessing the damage. KTVU has a crew on the way and will report any additional details as they are made available.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Mythbusters
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 03:36:08 PM »
Don't try this at home, we're what you call trained professionals!!

Offline carmy53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 03:38:51 PM »
I always get a laugh out of that.
"Am I missing an eyebrow?"

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 03:39:05 PM »

And to think, I resisted using that line.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »
If you or I did this we would be sitting in the pokey right now.  How do you "misfire" a cannon?
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 04:20:51 PM »
I think they really mean "misaim."
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 04:45:02 PM »
Mis-calculated?  Remember when they shot the wood cannon on the run way, and they never found the stone projectile?  Up to this point I think they have been lucky.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 04:46:13 PM »
The link that subdjoe provided has a video link at the bottom of the page, and it shows damage to the tile roof of a house. I wonder if the boys are going to get a spanking for this?

http://www.ktvu.com/videos/news/raw-video-newschopper-2-footage-of-emergency/vFRw5/
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 04:55:18 PM »
A link with text:  http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/12/06/mythbusters-cannon-accidentally-launches-into-california-home/

if you google "mythbusters cannonball house" you get all sorts of stuff.

and from a different link

Updated: 7:35 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 6, 2011 | Posted: 7:34 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 6, 2011
Cannonball misfires by "MythBusters" TV crew

DUBLIN, Calif. —

An East Dublin family is no doubt still stunned by a cannonball blast that hit their home.

The TV show "MythBusters" was firing cannonball at the Alameda County Sheriff's Department bomb range behind the Santa Rita Jail on Tuesday when it misfired.

Sheriff's spokesman J.D. Nelson told the Contra Costa Times (http://bit.ly/umCZnD ) that no one was injured and the home's residents didn't even wake up until the dust was settled — literally on top of them.

After tearing through the home, the cannonball smashed through a window of a parked minivan a few hundred feet away.

Nelson is also a consultant for the Discovery Channel TV show. He says producers have used the cannon that they built at the range more than 50 times without incident.

More than 50 times!  Wow.  All it takes is once.  All fun and games until someone shoots a house.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 05:49:08 PM »
What's that shooting safety fundamental?  Be sure of your backstop?  Maybe Hollywood types are exempt from that one.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 10:59:46 PM »
 I'm glad nobody was killed.

How long do you think it will be 'till the 1st uninformed opinion piece is written about how dangerous these things are in the hands of common folk?

Our wonderful CA Committee on Public Safety is probably already burning the midnight oil working on new restrictions.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline oltom

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 12:27:03 AM »
guess that's what cannons do............. :o

hollywood..!

and look how CLOSE the 'houses' are there! yuk! glad i live in TENN......at least my neighbor's don't know when i fart!
"MORE booze!"

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 04:51:16 AM »
The hill/berm/backstop may be okay for a blast range, but does not have a steep enough grade for shooting into.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 05:41:15 AM »
Another update:

One of the zany experiments staged by the "Mythbusters" television show nearly turned into a suburban tragedy Tuesday afternoon in Dublin (Calif.) when the crew fired a homemade cannon toward huge containers of water at the Alameda County Sheriff's Department bomb disposal range.

The cantaloupe-sized cannonball missed the water, tore through a cinder-block wall, skipped off a hillside and flew some 700 yards east, right into the Tassajara Creek neighborhood, where children were returning home from school at 4:15 p.m., authorities said.

There, the 6-inch projectile bounced in front of a home on quiet Cassata Place, ripped through the front door, raced up the stairs and blasted through a bedroom, where a man, woman and child slept through it all - only awakening because of plaster dust.

The ball wasn't done bouncing.

It exited the house, leaving a perfectly round hole in the stucco, crossed six-lane Tassajara Road, took out several tiles from the roof of a home on Bellevue Circle and finally slammed into the Gill family's beige Toyota Sienna minivan in a driveway on Springvale Drive.

A 6" ball.  That is about a 32 pounder. 
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Offline Double D

• SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 06:25:03 AM »
Bet they will be looking for a new test range.  My guess is the Alameda will lock the gates on them

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 07:09:56 AM »
Alright, Joe! This is what I've been waiting for, a detailed account of the shot's path of destruction; that's incredible, thank God nobody was injured.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 07:18:03 AM »
I bet the insurance company is going to put in some new restrictions, raise the premiums, or cancel the policy.  A vertical or near vertical earthen berm with some height to it would have prevented this from happening.

Offline jamesbeat

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 07:27:57 AM »

Yup, they certainly busted that myth!

Know your target and what is beyond....

I hope this doesn't stop them from doing more cannon-related things though (with better safety officers present from now on).
I really enjoyed the other ones they did, especially the wooden cannon.
He reached out and stroked shiny barrel. "Manuel, once there was a man who held a political make-work job like so many here in this Directorate, shining brass cannon around a courthouse."

"Why would courthouse have cannon?"

"Never mind. He did this for years. It fed him and let him save a bit, but he was not getting ahead in the world. So one day he quit his job, drew out his savings, bought a brass cannon--and went into business for himself."

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 07:35:08 AM »

Yup, they certainly busted that myth!

Know your target and what is beyond....

I hope this doesn't stop them from doing more cannon-related things though (with better safety officers present from now on).
I really enjoyed the other ones they did, especially the wooden cannon.

I wouldn't mind being hired as a safety consultant.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 08:27:17 AM »
Yet more video

I'm starting to think that they did their usual "Let's make the last one REALLY BIG" thing and maybe loaded about 4 or 5 pounds of powder.  Just a guess.

The person I know who worked with  them once is speculating that they may have been using other propellents, and possibly two projectiles.

Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 09:28:28 AM »
"The cannon misfired and that caused it to raise."  WHAT????????

Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Offline The Jeff

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 09:31:49 AM »
Here are 3 pictures showing the cannons at the bomb range that Kari, Tory, and Grant tweeted earlier: http://laslow.net/2011/12/07/mythbusters-and-damage-control/

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 09:48:44 AM »
Here are 3 pictures showing the cannons at the bomb range that Kari, Tory, and Grant tweeted earlier: http://laslow.net/2011/12/07/mythbusters-and-damage-control/

Do you have another link?  This one doesn't seem to work. 

edited to add:

Never mind, it just takes a few tries and a long time.

edited again:

Well, the second and third loaded, then it timed out trying to load the first image.  Still, in the second photo you can see on the left a short barreled gun, might be about a 6 inch bore.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 09:58:57 AM »
It doesn't seem to me that it "misfired"...  just mis-aimed.  It might have struck the ground before the berm & skipped over it...  a common technique against infantry.   Idiots!!   If we did that, we'd be in jail now!     

Offline carmy53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 11:20:19 AM »
If they aired that shot I would pay money to see that episode!!!

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2011, 12:21:13 PM »
I'm not familiar with their range but you would think that down range would be toward the ocean.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2011, 12:32:39 PM »
Personally, I think they should air that segment WITH that shot in it.
We have all talked about "it only takes once"and professionals or not stuff happens. I believe it is something that we all could learn from.
That being said there is also the fraction of the public that will go build a bomb and try, on purpose, to duplicate what happened.

Offline carmy53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2011, 12:39:13 PM »
Mythbusters show "suspended" due to cannon incident. The link has video showing the hole in the house.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2011/12/mythbusters-show-suspended-after-stunt-sends-cannonball-through-house/

Offline carmy53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2011, 12:40:10 PM »
I'm not familiar with their range but you would think that down range would be toward the ocean.

Google maps show the bomb disposal range as being over 12 miles from the ocean.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2011, 12:58:24 PM »
      With a minimum of effort Mike found the range that was most likely used near the Alameda County Sheriff's Jail facility.  This suspected range is over 700 yards to the first house impacted.  Three blue plastic barrels of the same type used in previous experiments are immediately in front of a sloping dirt embankment at the end of this range.  Compared to other terrain features and building heights, the embankment appears to be less than 30 feet high.  The angle is difficult to judge, but is likely between 45 and 60 degrees from the horizontal.  The "unusual  trajectory" mentioned in various reports seems to have  more to do with a divergence from a down-range direction after either the target of barrels and concrete blocks or the dirt bank previously mentioned was hit.  Simply using a protractor on the google earth image, we find the angle of divergence to be between 40 and 45 degrees.  A line was drawn from the butts to the second house hit, breaking numerous roof tiles, the address of which was reported.  It's difficult to guess who will bear the Lion's share of responsibility here, but there's no doubt which entity the lawyers will be targeting.  Their heavy artillery will be pointing squarely at the Myth Busters production company which has the "deep pockets" in this case.

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling