Author Topic: Mythbusters  (Read 2490 times)

Offline buzz36

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Mythbusters
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2011, 01:43:01 PM »
goese to show safety is first rule to follow and one must make sure down range and beyond is safe
glad no one was hurt or killed
and all the facts come in i be interested to see what the findings are
no one thing i caught on right away way this is a bomb range not gunnary range

Offline subdjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2011, 01:45:28 PM »
      With a minimum of effort Mike found the range that was most likely used near the Alameda County Sheriff's Jail facility.

Yep.  I think it is a played out quarry north of Santa Rita Jail.

This suspected range is over 700 yards to the first house impacted. 

Looking at one of the map sites, it looks to be 1500 to 2000 yards from where they shoot to the house

Three blue plastic barrels of the same type used in previous experiments are immediately in front of a sloping dirt embankment at the end of this range.  Compared to other terrain features and building heights, the embankment appears to be less than 30 feet high.  The angle is difficult to judge, but is likely between 45 and 60 degrees from the horizontal.  The "unusual  trajectory" mentioned in various reports seems to have  more to do with a divergence from a down-range direction after either the target of barrels and concrete blocks or the dirt bank previously mentioned was hit.  Simply using a protractor on the google earth image, we find the angle of divergence to be between 40 and 45 degrees.  A line was draw from the butts to the second house hit, breaking numerous roof tiles, the address of which was reported.  It's difficult to guess who will bear the Lion's share of responsibility here, but there's no doubt which entity the lawyers will be targeting.  Their heavy artillery will be pointing squarely at the Myth Busters production company which has the "deep pockets" in this case.

Mike and Tracy

http://maps.yahoo.com/#q=5325+Broder+Blvd%2C+Dublin%2C+CA++94568-3309&conf=1&start=1&lat=37.72110236938359&lon=-121.87150955200195&zoom=14&mvt=s&trf=0&q1=5325+Broder+Blvd%2C+Dublin%2C+CA++94568-3309&q2=Cassata+Pl%2C+Dublin%2C+CA++94568

Go just a bit north of Point A to that light patch shaped sort of like a home plate and looks like it has a fence or berm around it.  Point B is roughly where it finally came to rest.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2011, 01:46:25 PM »
goese to show safety is first rule to follow and one must make sure down range and beyond is safe
glad no one was hurt or killed
and all the facts come in i be interested to see what the findings are
no one thing i caught on right away way this is a bomb range not gunnary range

Bomb disposal range.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2011, 02:32:49 PM »
Completely built up on 3.5 sides by houses!

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2011, 02:56:24 PM »
Below is a photo of five water filled barrels being shot by a 10 pdr Parrott service load on a military range in Canada with miles of down range safety area.  In the background you can see a dust cloud showing first impact after penetrating the barrels.  I last saw the projectile clearing a ridge at least 500 yards down range.  Thought this might help illustrate this topic.

Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2011, 03:26:30 PM »
Sure makes the problem clear! 
Below is a photo of five water filled barrels being shot by a 10 pdr Parrott service load on a military range in Canada with miles of down range safety area.  In the background you can see a dust cloud showing first impact after penetrating the barrels.  I last saw the projectile clearing a ridge at least 500 yards down range.  Thought this might help illustrate this topic.

Offline p51

• My cowboy shooting page...
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2011, 03:54:42 PM »
I’m not the least bit surprised. I’ve never been too impressed with their safety procedures on some of their episodes.One afternoon a while back, I got a call from one of their research people. Apparently my name was referred to them by a guy I worked on a History Channel show with once, as someone familiar with semi-automatic weapons and blank adapters. They called asking about going from blanks to live ammo and back without any modifications and if that would work like it did in the second Die Hard movie. I explained to them what you have to do to get a blowback action working with blanks. They then asked what would happen if you fired live ammo through a blank adapter. I explained what would happen and advised I’d seen it happen twice and explained what kinds of weapons they were and how damaged the weapons were afterward as well as the injuries you might expect from holding the weapon if you did that. This person didn’t have a clue about anything and was just taking notes. They also asked my background and sounded suitably impressed (Historical re-enactor since I was 5, former US Army Ordnance officer and other stuff that sounds more impressive to a naïve TV person than it really is) and was told they’d get back to me. I suppose some sanity prevailed because not only did they never get back to me on that, I don’t think they ever tried to make that myth work. Maybe my description of what could happen if you were holding the weapon when you pulled the trigger scared them off?  :o
"When all else fails, call for indirect fire on your position, AND GET THE HELL OUT!"
-Exact words of one of my 'call for fire' class instructors.
Former US Army Ordnance officer and lover of all things what go BOOM!

Offline Double D

• SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2011, 05:14:05 PM »
Here ya go Adam apologizes...http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2011/12/mythbusters-accident-adam-savage-apologizes.html

I'll bet when the Insurance attorney's see this they will have apoplexy.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2011, 06:35:19 PM »
I hope it dosn't put them off the air, I like the program. I have a 5 yr old grandson and it is his favorite too. No cartoons for him.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2011, 08:34:24 PM »
Completely built up on 3.5 sides by houses!

I wonder who decided that place was safe for firing anything other than bombs?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline beazld

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2011, 11:21:29 PM »
"Bombs, cannons, what's the difference?  They both go boom." or something similar was probably said at a production meeting.  "besides, if something happens it will make good TV"

Analog man trapped in a digital world

Offline bluelake

• Avid Poster
    • 1871 US Military Action in Korea
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2011, 02:44:53 AM »
I’m not the least bit surprised. I’ve never been too impressed with their safety procedures on some of their episodes.One afternoon a while back, I got a call from one of their research people.

They asked for my help a few years back on an episode about the Korean rocket arrow cart (Hwacha).  I really enjoyed working with them and it was great to see the episode when it aired.  I'm sure this latest mishap was a wake-up call to many and, hopefully, it will result in a reassessment and improvement of safety procedures. 

Offline RwBeV

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2011, 08:45:06 AM »
Would this be the cannon that they built to fire cheese out of if so they welded the breach plug, if there loading that thing with real shot there nuts.  I also watched an epasode where they where cooling a bullet mold with water, get a little water in that thing and Jamie will get his big boom!!  I still have the scar's from when I was a kid and did that.  I dont much care for the expert way they handel things mainly firearm's.

Bob 

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2011, 10:03:12 AM »
Do Not Try This At Home!!
I recall clearly...  in my youth, pouring lead belt weights for scuba diving.  We used the gas range at my buddies parents house.  The mold got pretty dang hot pouring 5# of lead at a time.  We used a damp towel to rest the mold on to speed the cool down.  Well, on one pour we had a steam explosion.  I do not know how the water got into the mold but when we started to pour the next batch of lead BAM!! 
We were very fortunate, we were uninjured.  It could easly been in someone's face.  We did, however, have to pick the lead splatters out of the textured ceiling before his parents returned.   We were scared out of our minds.  Stuff like this tends to stay with you...  even these 40 years later.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2011, 10:42:30 AM »
     I finally found some pics of the "MISFIRED" cannon.  OMG what a POS!  The construction of this beast only proves that you can get yourself into lots of trouble when you have just a tiny bit of subject knowledge.  I will post these recently deleted twitter pics as soon as I figure out how to pry them loose.  These pics came from:  Laslow's blog on LasLoNet.

M&T

The most likely cannon used to propel the errant 30 Lb., 6" dia. steel or cast iron cannonball.

The other cannon in this pic looks like the 6 Pdr. they used in previous wooden "Splinter" tests which produced BS results.

And the obligatory pretty woman.

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2011, 10:55:14 AM »
Yep.  I think Jeff posted that link a few days ago, thanks for putting up the photos.

The real cannon is a Steen build 1841 6 pounder.

I think the thing that Tori built was for their cheese from a cannon bit a few years ago.

And - for all you math types - the math involved:  http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/12/cannon-balls-size-matters/
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2011, 11:10:58 AM »
Can't say much for the carriage but the barrel looks like a "Parrott" howitzer.  I can see how they lost control of the shot if that is the elevation they fired at.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2011, 12:50:46 PM »
Yep.  I think Jeff posted that link a few days ago, thanks for putting up the photos.

The real cannon is a Steen build 1841 6 pounder.

I think the thing that Tori built was for their cheese from a cannon bit a few years ago.

And - for all you math types - the math involved:  http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/12/cannon-balls-size-matters/

subdjoe,
The brass insigna in that picture looks just like the one on my Cannon Limited carriage.
I think the carriage is Cannon Limited.
Did Steen do a similiar insigna?
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2011, 02:12:14 PM »
Very similar.

Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2011, 06:42:01 PM »
I have a carriage made by Miller Cannon and Carriage, and it has a similar round medallion.  I heard it was common in period guns too.

http://millercannons.net/

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2011, 08:50:32 AM »
Don't try this at home, we're what you call trained professionals!!

Judging from what I see of the show, the most likely (off camera ) reaction of these clowns was a giggle, a shrug, and a high five.  "That was awesome!"  NOT!!
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
Bomb Range

Back out of the map above to see the surrounding area.  One would think that with with a good 90° from NW to NE at that site that has nothing for quite a distance, they wouldn't be shooting to the east with a subdivision less than half a mile away.  One wonders who the producers and the Sheriff uses as safety consultants.

GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2011, 12:35:50 AM »
At EVERY event of firing cannons where I've been present (in the Army) there is one individual who's SOLE responsibiltiy is to ensure that the round about to be fired will go into the safe impact area (a fan shaped area).  He doesn't care about ANYTHING else. 

It's a good method.

He checks azimuth and elevation, charge and projo.  He knows how well the cannons were surveyed-in, and has the responsibility and the authority to say CHECK-FIRE - and everything STOPS.

At work one of our customers has long many-page specifications for each of their products. When asked about it the engineer said that EVERY item in there was because of previous personal painful experience.

Do we (individually) have written methods and procedures for when WE fire ?

Hmmmm.  I think I know the answer.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)