Author Topic: H&R forearm spacer  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Indiana Denny

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R forearm spacer
« on: December 08, 2011, 05:21:27 AM »
Sorry for the link but I can not explain what this part is for

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=263593483

Any ideas ??
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold an

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: H&R forearm spacer
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 05:28:39 AM »
It the spacer that fits between the frame and forend on all H&R single shots, normally plastic, it's attached to the forend with two wood screws.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/documents/manuals/new/Handi-Rifle.pdf
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 05:51:58 AM »
It's Brass. It's just for Pretty, some guy's like the look.
 I personally think the single piece of brass is out of place on a Handi, it really needs more for a balanced look. Butt plate, nose cap and/or an inlay of sorts.
 But heck, I'm the kinda guy that tarnishes brass trimmings on a Traditional ML on purpose.
found elsewhere

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 06:07:23 AM »
I personally think the single piece of brass is out of place on a Handi, it really needs more for a balanced look.

Trigger guard and hammer help!  :D

Tim

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 06:39:21 AM »
As Tim said trigger gaurd hammer forend spacer and bbl band really all look great together I have my Shikari fitted that way . Will have to wait til next yr calender submissions to see it though as the guns I wanted to submit for consideration are away at deer camp when submissions were asked for . Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Joe S.

• Trade Count: (30)
  • A Real Regular
  • The poisonous mushroom!
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 05:06:59 PM »
how does one obtain a brass hammer and trigger gaurd?
Joe S.
Central MS

"An armed society is a polite society."

redistribute work ethic!

Offline slngblde

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
  • 3 miles north of Joe s
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 06:03:21 PM »
how does one obtain a brass hammer and trigger gaurd?

bribe me to make a mold and then i can cast the trigger guard. Hammer is probably plated, can do that too with the right stuff.

Offline Rodland

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 08:37:10 AM »
Bribe, Bribe, Bribe, Bribe. Is it working yet? ;D
My remember'er is broke, but my forgetter is getting better.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 08:52:54 AM »
I thought there was a GBO member selling metal spacers.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 09:06:13 AM »
Toth Tool is only making spacers in matte steel and I don't know if he's even making those any more, he's no longer a site sponsor. The only brass parts have been Moyer's which are discontinued and someone making brass spacers that was selling them on a couple auction sites.

Tim

Offline JB White

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 09:33:38 AM »
Has aluminum ever been considered as a spacer material? Seems as though they could be finished to whatever the owner wishes and hold up better than the zamak parts used on other types of firearms.
 Polished, brushed, blasted, jeweled, annodized...whatever finish you want to do. Match it up with an aluminum buttplate spacer and nickeled swivels for a low cost two-tone look.....
  Just a sudden train of thought on my part. Are there any drawbacks I may have overlooked?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 09:41:17 AM »
Yup, do a search, the topic has been beat to death discussed more than a few times, I've sent plastic parts to several prospective makers, Toth Tool is the only one to come thru with a finished product.  ;)

striker525 was the last to work on making them in brass and anodized aluminum, but he hasn't been online here since Feb 2010.

Tim

Offline slngblde

• Avid Poster
  • 3 miles north of Joe s
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 09:52:40 AM »
My post was mainly for Joe, he lives about 2 miles from me. I can look into casting some of these, but i have no materials on hand and would have to order everything. It may not be worth it cost wise to make some. What would people be willing to pay?
I have not had my handi that far apart, how is the trigger guard removed? and are they all pretty much the same? Mine is a late production sb2. I would be doing this for others, i dont care for the look and it would look really odd on mine with its painted synthetic stock.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 10:05:43 AM »
As always, the first place to learn anything on any H&R subject is the FAQs sticky, see Metal Trigger Guard and Spacer. The trigger guard isn't just a trigger guard, it also hold the trigger and latch spring see the trigger hone info in the FAQs on that.

Tim

Offline JB White

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 10:16:45 AM »
Just came back here after reading that one per your prior post about it being beat...er, discussed already.
Aluminum doesn't sound like a popular choice. Not enough to make it worth while as an offering anyway. I was thinking more along the line of rough castings and not finshed drop-in parts. Without enough interest it's better to do one for yourself as a one-off.
 I guess that settles that. No point in bothering the local foundryman then.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 10:56:43 AM »
Moyer's parts were as cast and very poorly done, probably the reason why he discontinued them, poor customer feedback and he wasn't interested in making them properly, I offered to send him factory parts to copy, but he insisted they were accurate even after I sent him comparison pics of his parts and factory parts.  ::)

Tim

Offline Metaldoc

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Nebraska
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 11:18:54 AM »
Has aluminum ever been considered as a spacer material? Seems as though they could be finished to whatever the owner wishes and hold up better than the zamak parts used on other types of firearms.
 Polished, brushed, blasted, jeweled, annodized...whatever finish you want to do. Match it up with an aluminum buttplate spacer and nickeled swivels for a low cost two-tone look.....
  Just a sudden train of thought on my part. Are there any drawbacks I may have overlooked?

I machined an aluminum spacer a while back.  It's not hard if you have a mill.   
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,229608.msg1099277000.html#msg1099277000

Offline slngblde

• Avid Poster
  • 3 miles north of Joe s
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 02:31:43 PM »
I just talked to an artist/sculptor friend who has done a good bit of brass casting. He said after looking at the parts diagram i sent he would recomend having them machined.

Offline JB White

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 07:20:05 PM »
 You guys got me thinking. After seeing the milled aluminum spacer in the other thread I've decided that I like the look. Just happen to have a friend who's a retired machinist with a bridgeport in his 'garage'. I'm going to run it past him to see if he's up to it now that his fields are down.
 Depending upon how that goes, afterward I'll ask him about copying a trigger guard. I don't know where we are in regard to owing one another favors over the years, but by this time tomorrow I'll have figured out a way to argue that it's his turn. :)
 If this turns out OK I'll post pics of the finished project(s)

Offline AlaninNM

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2011, 05:14:49 AM »
The hunt for the elusive brass trigger guard continues!

Al in NM

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2011, 05:11:47 PM »
I'm thinking about trying one in copper.  I love the copper look and I can get plates of it cheaper here.  I think it'd look really sweet on the BC.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline TopperT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
  • Guard Dog
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 11:30:17 AM »
I've been away for about a year (or so) and just returned and we're still looking for the fore end spacer in brass? :'(   I wish I wish :P :-\ :'(  I had a couple for my Target Classic and old Shikari. 

Been thinking of a barrel band, I may try to fit one from Dixie Gun Works.  I think if I simply trace my current BB they might be able to fit oe for me.

Offline Chas.

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 11:51:04 AM »
Sorry for the link but I can not explain what this part is for

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=263593483

Any ideas ??

That part is for sale by "ham77", who is probably the same as go2gbo member and "ham7777".  I'd love to have it myself, but it's the Christmas season and I can't afford to buy myself any more gifts right now.

Offline JB White

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2011, 07:41:34 PM »
I'm thinking about trying one in copper.  I love the copper look and I can get plates of it cheaper here.  I think it'd look really sweet on the BC.  ;)
Been trying to get a mental image of that since you posted. With the right looking wood that would (wood-would??) be nice. One question though. How would you halt the green patina?

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2011, 08:15:45 PM »
clear urathane, or laquer if you can still find some
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 12:21:41 PM »
I don't think I want it super bright, so I'd probably do some rubbed down w/ brass black and then clearcoat it, once my desired coloration was achieved.  I've seen that soaking copper in various things can do some cool stuff to the surface finish too.  I've played with vinegar or various mild acids which can do some pretty cool stuff.  ;) 
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline JB White

• Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 12:41:32 PM »
That sounds like a plan. Aside from an etched finish a brushed finish with darkened highlights might look good too. I'm sure you'll come up with something that looks nice without looking out of place to you. I'm not fond of of the high polished finshes either. But...that's me. If it were brass I would fume it as I like that brownish hue.
 My buddy did take a forend spacer from me this weekend to see what he can do. I'm still not certain what final finish I would like either. I'll fit it then polish it but beyond that I'm tossing about between a light sandblast or a bead blast before letting it oxidize a bit. What do you think?

Offline TopperT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
  • Guard Dog
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2011, 12:50:53 PM »
I just bought two from Mr Tom Hammonnd off Gunbroker.Com.  $29.95 for the first, $25.00 for the second.  These are H&R Foreend Spacers and are CNC Machined in bronze.  Pricey  ::)  YES, but....I want them so.... ;) .....age old story of demand and supply  :-[ .  The photos look REALLY NICE!!!!  FYI I typed in 'forend spacer on Gunbroker and up it came.  I will post a pic when they come in of my Wesson & Harrington 38-55 all decked out.  Jim.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2011, 01:17:12 PM »
I use Jax Brown Black Darkener on spinner blades, it works excellent, can be just as dark as you like, just remove it and rinse when it reaches the color you want.

Tim

http://www.nobleromancoins.com/product_info.php?products_id=45

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2011, 01:27:46 PM »
Thx Tim, book marked it.  8)