Author Topic: 243 Problems???  (Read 485 times)

Offline wan2bokie2

• Trade Count: (0)
243 Problems???
« on: December 09, 2011, 05:45:06 AM »
I just bought a Handing Stainless in. 243. I am wondering if there are any problems I should be looking out for with this caliber in particular? I have other handi's and have experienced zero problems so far. Just hoping this will be a winner also.
_

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
Re: 243 Problems???
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 07:22:49 AM »
Treat it just like you did with your other Handi's, and just shoot it!

I think a lot of times we try, and me included, fix something that isn't broken!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline wan2bokie2

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 02:21:14 PM »
I 've been hoping that would be the case. We'll see what happens. Thanks.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 02:52:53 PM »
Yep, since you haven't had any problems with any of your other Handi's then that means you are on a roll!

Let us know how she goes!   Range report with pictures of course! ;)
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 08:01:30 AM »
Nothing inherently wrong with your rifle or its caliber!
 But I feel compelled to inform you of the disease that these rifles carry. It has no known cure, relax it's not terminal. But its symptoms are countless hours of enjoyment and pleasure but a somewhat smaller bank account.

Enjoy your rifle!!

Merry Christmas
CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline semperfi1970

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 11:18:34 AM »
The .243 Winchester round in general is 6mm perfection at its best without being overbore. Any round based on the .308 case is sure to be efficient with the exception of the 22/243 (silly idea, just by a swift). Its a proven long range varmint slayer and with a adaquate bullet very effective on deer. I have 3 rifles chambered in .243, one being a Handi and love them all. What I have found with my .243 ultra is she likes 75 grain V-max bullets the best pushed by 39.5 grains of IMR 4064, not maxed by no means but rite in the sweat spot for my bore, I would share seat depth but your bore is not mine. If I could change anything about my Ultra it would be a faster twist rate as 100 grain soft points and my bore are not on speaking terms regardless of velocity. I have yet to see a .243 barrel shot out so one would assume a lifetime of shooting pleasure to be had. If you never owned a .243 before you will be pleased with its performance for sure. Let us know how you make out at the range.