Author Topic: Who has this AR-15...?  (Read 781 times)

Offline Rock Home Isle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
Who has this AR-15...?
« on: December 09, 2011, 11:39:31 AM »
I'm looking to get an AR-15 in 7.62 X 39 calibre. 

If you have an AR-15 in this calibre, I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences.
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Who has this AR-15...?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 02:35:13 AM »
Ive got one of the first bushmasters that came off the line in that caliber. When i first got it i had some feeding problems. I had bought 10 c products mags and had the two that came with it. Bushmaster told me to send it back and theyd look at it. I boxed it up with all the mags i had. It came back with a letter saying that they did some work on the feed ramp that probably wasnt already done because it was such an early gun. They also replaced all 12 mags even the ones i bought from c products with new bushmaster mags. Bushmaster got those mags from cproduct and come to find out the first batch of them, the ones i got, werent right. Well i got the gun back and it ran pretty good. Maybe one jam with wolf every 100 rounds. Fair but not what i was hopping for. I did some research and was told to switch the mag springs out for wolf extra power AK47 springs. I did that and have yet to have a malfunction with any ammo since then. Its a fun gun. Near the power of a 6.8 but finding ammo and brass is much easier and a heck of alot cheaper. What i use it for mostly is fooling around at camp. I can take 500 rounds of wolf ammo out there shoot the crap out of it and not even have to pick up brass in the tall grass. Ive shot one whitetail with it using hornady 120 grain vmax bullets and it made one leap and piled up.
blue lives matter

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 03:07:14 AM »
I was talking to one of the Customers at Sportsman's Warehouse (aka He-Man Warrior Store) last night and he was telling me the same thing. He did not own an AR-15 in this calibre, but he had heard that there were feeding issues with the 7.62 X 39 ammo.

Your reasoning about the comparison to the 6.8 mm Remington SPC (or 6.8×43mm) is fairly sound, though the 6.8 has the edge over the 7.62 Russian. The two fire similar bullet weights, and you are so correct that the 7.62 X 39 is  just so much cheaper to shoot. Great minds think alike.

I have a nice back-stock of Wolf Ammo, and that would be the ammo that I would be shooting primarily....so good to know about the Mag Springs, thank you very much for that insight.  8)

Right now it looks like I can get one from DPMS or Armalite....I've heard good things about Armalite, and mixed impressions about DPMS.

Anybody have opinions about these two manufacturers?
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 03:12:51 AM »
Ive got a dmps 223 and 308 and there both good guns for the money dont have anything for armalite so i cant help you there. But after how well i was treated by bushmaster and along with the fact that 762x39 ars tend to have a bad rep my first recomendation for you would be to look at a bushmaster.
blue lives matter

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 04:22:33 AM »
Nice lead there Lloyd Smale...thank you for the heads-up. 8)
http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog-BCWA3F-16M39.asp

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 04:46:26 AM »
I don't have the caliber, but have owned Colt and the rest, and used them hard in my past career, almost everyday, and for days at a time without cleaning, I too, am sold on Bushmaster, and Bushmaster accuracy.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 03:58:31 AM »
I thinks thats the one. Its hard to tell if that one has a removable carry handle but mine does. by the way mine will shoot hornady vmaxs and 1680 into an inch at a 100 yards and shoots wolf black box under 2 inches at the same distance
Nice lead there Lloyd Smale...thank you for the heads-up. 8)
http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog-BCWA3F-16M39.asp
blue lives matter

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 05:47:01 AM »
Hey guys this is great...thank you very much for the input. It is greatly appreciated.  8)

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 05:01:13 AM »
If you already have a AR rifle, why don't you just buy a 7.62x39 upper, from DPMS.  It'll be less expensive than a complete 7.62 AR, and if you don't want to shoot 7.62x39, then put your 5.56 upper back on and shoot that. 
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 05:08:46 AM »
This would be my 1st AR purchase.  :-[