Author Topic: Federal 209 A primer, too hot  (Read 1195 times)

Offline anweis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Federal 209 A primer, too hot
« on: December 10, 2011, 03:44:37 AM »
I have a CVA Wolf, probably 4 years old, topped with a Nikon Omega Slughunter 1.5-5x36 scope. With 80 grains of Blackhorn 209, Harvester sabots, and 250 grain Hornady red tipped bullets, the rifle shoots 1" groups at 100 with scary confidence. Yesterday i crammed 9 shots into a 1.5" x 1.5" piece of paper, with room to spare (the first shot from a clean bore was only 0.75" off!). But, while doing so i depleted my stash of Nobel Sport shotgun primers, so i opened a box of Federal 209A primers, thinking that i will be hunting in really cold weather and that Blackhorn likes to be ignited hot and violently...
Well, this primer is too much primer for my rifle. The primers flow, crater, and get into the firing pin recess...I had to wiggle the action to open it. Beware.
I fired 3 primers without charge and 3 with the above described charge. All six times the primers showed signs of way too much blow back and pressure. But, the 3 shots fired with a charge and bullet struck exactly in the same holes and group as the shots fired with Nobel Sport primers.

Offline LanceR

• Contributor
Re: Federal 209 A primer, too hot
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 11:38:35 PM »
It is always interesting to see and hear about the ways that firearms show their individuality.

I use Winchester, Federal 209A and CCI  primers in my Savage.  All work well but the Winchester is consistently a little less accurate.

BTW, if your rifle didn't like the 209A you might want to avoid the CCI.  It seems by all accounts to be as hot or hotter.

Lance

Offline martineta

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
  • Hunting Lodge Owner Uruguay
    • Paso del Puerto
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 12:46:56 AM »
It is always interesting to see and hear about the ways that firearms show their individuality.

I use Winchester, Federal 209A and CCI  primers in my Savage.  All work well but the Winchester is consistently a little less accurate.

BTW, if your rifle didn't like the 209A you might want to avoid the CCI.  It seems by all accounts to be as hot or hotter.

Lance

Same as Lance.  My encore likes hot primers with Blackhorn.  No evidence of primer issues.
Kenneth Burnett
Paso del Puerto
Professional Hunter 34 years in Paraguay and Uruguay

Offline Jim_Ole_Timer

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 12:47:01 PM »
Wondering if you had tried any standard Federal primers or std any brands?

I did a little experiment on 3 different primers, CCI mags, Rem Kleenbores, and Fed stds.

The Rem Kleenbores were the hottest, CCI mags next followed by the Fed stds. I proved this by chronograph and my shoulder, plus where they hit on paper.

I have a bunch of CCI mags left to use, about 750 or so, but I do want to experiment more with the Rem Kleenbores and the CCI mags for best accuracy. Might also pick up some std CCIs and check them too.
Protect our constitution, all of it. Our kids future depends on it. And please teach them Conservatism.

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 04:07:58 PM »
I have a CVA Wolf, probably 4 years old, topped with a Nikon Omega Slughunter 1.5-5x36 scope. With 80 grains of Blackhorn 209, Harvester sabots, and 250 grain Hornady red tipped bullets, the rifle shoots 1" groups at 100 with scary confidence. Yesterday i crammed 9 shots into a 1.5" x 1.5" piece of paper, with room to spare (the first shot from a clean bore was only 0.75" off!). But, while doing so i depleted my stash of Nobel Sport shotgun primers, so i opened a box of Federal 209A primers, thinking that i will be hunting in really cold weather and that Blackhorn likes to be ignited hot and violently...
Well, this primer is too much primer for my rifle. The primers flow, crater, and get into the firing pin recess...I had to wiggle the action to open it. Beware.
I fired 3 primers without charge and 3 with the above described charge. All six times the primers showed signs of way too much blow back and pressure. But, the 3 shots fired with a charge and bullet struck exactly in the same holes and group as the shots fired with Nobel Sport primers.

Thats nothing out of the norm. They have loose head space which allows the primer to launch back into the bushing and stick a bit. Heres the fix.

With Blackhorn209 you WANT a hot primer and that primer would be the CCI 209 Magnum primer.