Author Topic: Geese with my H&R  (Read 1625 times)

Offline xd45nut

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Geese with my H&R
« on: December 10, 2011, 07:33:53 AM »
Took these geese this morning with my H&R Pardner 12ga. ;D

It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Geese with my H&R
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 08:20:41 AM »
Good shooting and better eating!!

Congrats and merry Christmas!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 09:34:40 AM »
Congrats! you should post that on the handi succsess storries thread (Its not just for deer)
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline xd45nut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 02:18:23 PM »

CW

Thanks, and two of those Geese will be on the table this Christmas. It was fun watching the semiautos jam every few shots. One guy in our group had a brand new Benelli that wouldn't fire more than one shot without some kind of failure, he even offered to sell me his new $1200 gun for $500. I told him no thanks, but if he wanted use a gun that worked could borrow my $100 H&R. 8)

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 12:41:40 AM »

CW

Thanks, and two of those Geese will be on the table this Christmas. It was fun watching the semiautos jam every few shots. One guy in our group had a brand new Benelli that wouldn't fire more than one shot without some kind of failure, he even offered to sell me his new $1200 gun for $500. I told him no thanks, but if he wanted use a gun that worked could borrow my $100 H&R. 8)
Good story!!

I have brought a H&R in the boat as a "cripples" gun for to many years to remember. I do not hit well with them for wing shooting, as they do not "fit" me properly. But shooting cripples is like shooting a rifle and for them they work just fine. Everyone enjoys the 100% reliability and never worring about having a gun or extra gun in the boat.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 02:31:13 AM »
I've killed a bunch of geese with various H&Rs over the years . I love hunting with guys with $1000.00 plus guns that think defense department spending levels to kill birds. My ancestors were outlaw market gunners and they used single shots.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline xd45nut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 04:31:54 AM »
I think it is funny when everyone tells you that you need such and such tool to do this or that job when you are doing just fine with what you have. To be perfectly honest if I had $500 or even $250 to spend I wouldn't have been shooting an H&R, but it is what I had so I made it work and in the end I did better then the others in my group.

"Better Is the Enemy of Good Enough"
-Voltaire-

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline a4beltfed2000

• Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 12:07:32 PM »
As a kid I remember that a number of the kids had the 870 and model 11 shotgun and I was always jealous of them. My father told me that a good hunter did not need a pump action or semiauto shotgun, as I shot should be more than enough. I always thought that was his way of justifing the fact that we didn't have the money to spend on the more expensive guns. now twenty five years later and I am embarrassed to say how many guns I own now, I find my self once again using single shot rifles and shotguns. I kill probably more rabbits and squirrels and even deer as the guys still using the newest and (current) best rifle of the day and I don't burn up nearly as much ammo as they do. In the great north woods here, you aren't going to get more than one shot, and if you do you probably shouldn't be taking it anyways.

I now own a varity of pump action,bolt, lever action and semiauto guns, and still my son hunts with a single shot because I want him to know that it doesn't matter how many rounds you have, its what you do with that first one that counts, the rest are just acknowledgements of your failure to do the right thing the first time.
H&R/NEF 10, 12,16 20 28 ,410 .243 45 357 45lc. 1919a4, uzi, sten mK 2,3,5 M2HB, 1917a1, ak74(2) amd 65, RPK (2) 11 aks and 50 other guns....

Offline surehuntsalot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 12:30:54 AM »
 ;)   great job

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 11:43:49 AM »
xd45nut,
Approximate what range and loads were you using?
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline xd45nut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 06:22:32 PM »
xd45nut,
Approximate what range and loads were you using?

3" BB shot out of a Mod. choke at 40 to 50 yards.

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 11:43:42 AM »
Never had much luck with Snows.  Always seem to have their 'heads on backwards.' 

Offline xd45nut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 05:37:46 PM »
Never had much luck with Snows.  Always seem to have their 'heads on backwards.'

I know what you mean. The last two times I have gone back out to the lake I haven't had a a single group come over my blind.

Theodore Roosevelt