Author Topic: FActory Ammo in 35 Whelen  (Read 1242 times)

Offline jrabbit

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
FActory Ammo in 35 Whelen
« on: December 10, 2011, 05:30:39 PM »
A friend of mine has just bought a an H&R in 35 Whelen and I wanted to know what factory ammunition any of you have used and which ones have been the most accurate.  He has tried the Hornady Super Performance with limited success, so we are looking for feedback from other handi owners.  Hand loading is not an option at this time.

Thanks,
JW

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: FActory Ammo in 35 Whelen
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 08:34:54 PM »
in factory ammo besides the hornady theres
 Remington 200's and 250's
federal has started making the  premium 225gr trophy bonded bear claw  again
barnes loads the 200 and 225 tsx maybe also the 180, have to check.
buffalo bore has some of their excellent ammo loaded with barnes bullets good ammo, very fast but pricey.

I would start with the remington 200's  or 250's its cheaper and tends to be more available and may be all you need.
start with the cheap and work upward

I dont think Ill ever use hornady whelen ammo again more ftf's than the rest. I think their stuff is made to the minimum dimension and  with the generous headspacing on handis theres ftf's on a regular basis, at least in my gun.
even when I had enough and pulled the bullets/powder from the hornady and loaded them to my specs they misfired  because the cases were undersized. after fire forming and necksizing theyre fine now  but I wanted to throw them in the lake originally

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 12:51:09 AM »
Mornign,
 I would love to be able to tell you X loading from Y manufacturer will produce 1/2 MOA in your gun... But it simply does not work that way!

You need trigger time and you need to try avalible loadings to know what YOUR barrel likes. Every barrel is like a person, simular looking and abilities but at the same time totally different personalities. Even guns with one digit difference in SN will shoot different bullets differently!

I know its a rough thing telling you you need to go shoot your new toy more.  ::) ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline jrabbit

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 07:25:38 AM »
CW,

I agree completely.  However it isn't my rifle, it is a friends.  We were just trying to get some idea of which ammo to start with based on a consensus of others on this forum.  My personal opinion would be to start with the Remington, but having no prior experience with this round that is a guess and is based more on cost than anything else.

Thanks,
JW

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 08:42:10 AM »
Back when I bought factory ammo... Fed Premium was my favorite....

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 10:33:56 AM »
+1 on the Federal Premium, but at about two bucks a shot, I'd be reloading real soon.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 11:08:30 AM »
The Federal Premium is less than Remington at $35 a box, Hornady is the least expensive of all at $27, I'd get what you can find and try it, Remington is the most common locally here, the 200gr shot real good in one of mine, only handload for the other. I'd make sure he's read the Handi Basics info and accurizing info in the FAQs before wasting a lot of money on different ammo, a simple thing like oil on the latch or shelf can make a big difference in accuracy, the Hornady ammo normally has a good reputation from the Mississippi fellas.

Tim

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?&newcategorydimensionid=9849

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain