Author Topic: CAD Software  (Read 1057 times)

Offline BlueMt

• Trade Count: (0)
CAD Software
« on: December 11, 2011, 06:03:59 AM »
I am thinking about trying to update my limited, long ago aquired drafting on paper abilities to the computer age.  Any suggestions for a simple program to start with?
Our local community college eliminated the machine shop program before I could take the night class version and I don't think the night class for CAD survived either.
Thanks.

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: CAD Software
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 07:10:14 AM »
I just finished introduction CAD at MSU-N.  Like most colleges the software used was Autocad.  AutoCad is a very expensive software---$3000 plus and far more powerful than what I need.  I have the limited edition  free for three year student version. My laptop will barely run it.

GeorgeG pointed me to Intellicad.  I really haven't had time to evaluate it it yet.  It costs about a 10th of what Autocad and is a professional software and a competitor to Autocad.

Since I don't really need all the features of the full blown AutoCad/Intellicad I am looking at at AutoCads AutoSketch.  It will provide me everything I need to create 2D drawings.  I have no need for 3D.

I had experience with Autosketch but after 10 years of not using it, lost the skill.  George tried to help me relearn but I can't learn very well via Email, I need real time instruction, so off to college. 

Offline BlueMt

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 07:43:49 AM »
Thank You.
Been following the threads and see that you have been taking a class.  ( I was born in Havre and raised east of there in Blaine county)  I have briefly looked at some programs on-line and am afraid i will need some hands on help.  I can do what I want on paper if I don't find anything I can make use of.

Offline Mike H.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 09:23:54 AM »
You can use AutoCAD LT as a low cost option.  It is 2D only and does not support Autolisp routines.  Same interface as full AutoCAD.  Same .dwg and .dxf file formats.

I have a licensed copy of AutoCAD 2006.  But I did not pay the annual update fees, so AutoDesk did not support it after the 2007 update was released.  Only had my business 2 years then went back to work at a large firm.  Now I can not even donate it to a worthy cause.  It can't legally change hands. 

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 09:36:04 AM »
I have an old version (legal too) of AutoCAD 2000 here at home.

I use AutoCAD LT at work (it will handle most all the 3d features of the full version except it does not have the engine to execute many of the 3d commands).

The key is to learn all forms of each command.  Commands can be implemented from the pull down menues, side-bar menues, digitizer AND by typing them (or their shorthand version).  So in LT you can still type in many of the 3d commands to get around and view.  Not having the AutoLISP engine limits the LT version from doing the 3d commands that are AutoLISP routines built up to be a 3d command.

Student versions used to last 6 or 8 years.  No more.

Sometimes you can get legal copies second hand - there is a market for them.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline The Jeff

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 11:24:33 AM »
Any suggestions for a simple program to start with?

I've been playing around with DraftSight quite a bit lately. It only does 2D, but it's free and works with Macs. It also works with Windows and Linux.

Here's an example of some of the stuff I've done with it lately:

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 12:35:21 PM »
Jeff -

DRAFTSIGHT?  Interesting.  The first link mentioned it would edit DXF and DWG files.  GOOD.
I'd love to compare the results of conversions to and from AutoCAD.  FREE is excellent.

I tried their website but it was down for maintenance.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline BlueMt

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 12:41:17 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
My neighbor has put me in touch with someone who works with the CAD programs at the local Corps of Engineers office and he is gonna help me some.

Offline The Jeff

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 12:45:18 PM »
Jeff -

I'd love to compare the results of conversions to and from AutoCAD.

Here's a .dwg of an IX Dahlgren you can try opening. I very occasionally use Rhinoceros at work, but I've had trouble opening .dwg's I've made in DraftSight. I never investigated the problem though.

Online Double D

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 01:20:36 PM »
Draftsight is not freeware, it is a free limited functionality version the program.  Full functionality comes only in the commercial pay program.

I loaded the .dwg into Autocad and it worked just fine.

Offline projector

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 07:43:21 AM »
I have used Rhinoceros at work for about 5 years, before that I used Mechanical Desktop.  Rhino is as or more capable but a lot less expensive at about $1000.  I use it for 3D surface models.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 10:05:08 AM »
I've used most of them and taught most.
I'd suggest checking into AutoCAD LT.
It can be found at some of the bigger office supply stores.

As for which I'd prefer to use.......Inventor or Solidworks.
Both operate about the same, both are parametric solid modelers.
You can export them into most of the CNC programs directly.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Online Double D

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 10:18:06 AM »
Since  3d has limited practical application in a home hobby shop application what would you guys recommend for standard 2D drawings ?

Offline Mike H.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 12:30:12 PM »
Since  3d has limited practical application in a home hobby shop application what would you guys recommend for standard 2D drawings ?
AutoCAD LT.  It will be familiar to you after your class, and you can send guys like me .DWG files from it.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 12:55:18 PM »
AutoCAD has an advantage - it has about 70% of the PC based market.  (SO get AutoCAD LT)

The drawings (DWG) are therefore and industry standard.

The DXF format (converts all entities, layers, line-types etc to text) is the international standard for draftng exchange format.

Commands in the pull-down menues, side-bar menues and typed in commands can be customized with the SAME files (acad.mnu and others) as is used in the full AutoCAD.

You CAN get legal copies on ebay and other places on the internet.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Online Double D

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 01:10:15 PM »
What about Autosketch?  It produces dwg and most of the other standard formats.

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 02:31:40 PM »
I use CadStd and LibreCad for knifemaking. CadStd is very simple 2D, and free, and was nice to get back a feeling for drafting. LibreCad, also free, is much more robust and works with files from AutoCad and other major programs. LibreCad also has some more flexibility on curves, which is important for designing blade profiles, and edge bevels. I imagine it'd come in handy designing a cannon.

I had my son learn manual drafting last year, up through some basic mechanical shapes. My Dad was a draftsman and cartographer, and I took 4 years of drafting counting a year in college, all manual. Had notions of becoming an architect. Comes in handy when you're trying to describe something and all you have is a pen and napkin, rather proud I can still draw a straight line, my angles are proportional, and it looks mostly like what I imagine.  :D
held fast

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 03:26:28 PM »
What about Autosketch?  It produces dwg and most of the other standard formats.

It's been a Looooooong time since I've seen it.  But compatiblity is there and it may well be the most economical between AutoCAD, AutoCAD LT and AutoSKETCH.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Online Double D

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 04:13:35 PM »
Here is the incentives.

AutoCad2010  $3500
AutocadLT $800
AutoSketch $200

I looked the  Ebay listings over and that is a minefield.  I see they are offering Autocad2010 educational for $200 which is  free down from the Autocad website.

George gave a copy o Intellicad, but i haven't a chance to play with it yet.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 05:46:20 PM »
That IntelliCAD version is equivalent to AutoCAD rel 14 which was current around Y2K.  So it won't read .dwg files from more recent AutoCAD versions.  However, it still is adequate for me.  Any drawing you see from me was produced with it.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Mike H.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 12:25:42 AM »
Here is the incentives.

AutoCad2010  $3500
AutocadLT $800
AutoSketch $200

Dang, LT is not so "light" a price any more! 

I paid about $2600-$2800 for v2006 when I had to get legal a few years back.  One thing to remember with AutoCAD, you will have to pay an annual "service fee" of several hundred bucks per year thereafter or Autodesk will only support it for 1 year.  It is a racket.  IIRC, it was about 1/3 the purchase price annually, but you got a "free" upgrade the next time a new version came out.  I just needed to be legal, so I skipped that fee.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2011, 01:03:26 AM »
You DO have to know what you're getting when using Ebay.

Watch out for the ILLEGAL copies.  The lawyers of AutoDESK are commonly referred to as the Gestapo.

On the flip side, AutoDESK supports the AutoCAD USER GROUPS - and often GIVE AWAY legal copies of all their products.  (I'm sure you have a large active AUG in Cut Bank.)

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired