Author Topic: 170 fn hornady 30-30 bullet  (Read 1004 times)

Offline jimbobb55

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
170 fn hornady 30-30 bullet
« on: December 12, 2011, 12:00:09 PM »
Can I load this bullet in 308 Win.would it stay together at higher velocities of a 308 load. Its made for 30-30 170 flat nose hornady. I'm using imr 4895. How many grs.?

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 170 fn hornady 30-30 bullet
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 12:21:09 PM »
Just use the book listed data for the 180 grain bullets and you should be alright.  As for coming apart I do not think they will do that in flight but may do so on impact with game.

Why would you use this bullet when there are a lot of better choices, at about the same cost, designed for this caliber.  The BC of these bullets versus the pointed with and without a boat tail is really lacking and will really tell on you at longer ranges.

Ken
NRA Life Member

Offline fatercat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 12:27:08 PM »
you may be better off with remington cor locks.

Offline 336SC

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 02:24:57 PM »
Nothing wrong with your idea at all.  Years before we had the Nosler Ballistic tip bullets I loaded up the 170gr Speer Hot Core bullet in
my .308 Win @ 2500fps with IMR3031.  I never found one of those Speer 170 grainers and alway had a nice big exit hole.  I just was not happy with the 150gr Spitzers at that time and always felt I got quicker kills with the 170 Speer Hot Core.  Of course my shots were
never longer than 150yds so the loss of Ballistic Coeficient never bothered me at all.  The 170gr Hornady bullet is the Interlok design so
it should work fine.  I use the Hornady 200gr RN Interlok in my .358 Winchester's @ 2500fps and never found one of those either!  Just huge exit holes and my tag on the ear of the deer.  I'm not expert, just telling you what my experience has been
336SC
USN, 10 Jul 1969 - 6 Dec 1973.  NRA Life Member.  Master Mason, Porter Lodge #284, 10th Masonic District.

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 02:37:32 PM »
Why don't you just call Hornady & ask them? I've use that bullet in a 307 without issues, but the 307 is loaded a little lighter than the 308 anyway.

Offline jimbobb55

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 02:00:42 AM »
I just thought I could ask da forum and get a better answer not one that was one sided Anachronism. thx for da help.

Offline swifty22

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 01:30:57 PM »
The only experience I have w/this situation is that when I was a kid (about 45 years ago!) I read an article that said that using 30-30 FP bullets shot fast killed like the hammer of Thor. Well I loaded some in an 06 and procede'd to smack a little WT buck at about 100 yds in an open field. He was lying down pointed to my left, the bullet (a 170 Speer FN) got him in the brisket and simply blew up w/none penetrating more than an inch or so, but peeled the hide back about like a small paper plate. His head went down and he appeared to be stone dead at the shot. My little brother (we were about 14/12 at the time) went up to him and I went around the back and poked him in the eye. He jumped up like a shot and stumbled about 10 feet before I could shoot him in the back of the head! Scared the hell out of us and of all the animals I have killed since that is the only one that has gotten up off the ground. So I do not recommend using any bullet that over expands at any velocity for something that can hurt you, as a matter of fact I pretty much only use bullets that WILL make a hole out the other side for such beasties. Any way my story, word to the wise.-Muddy         

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 02:19:48 PM »
I just thought I could ask da forum and get a better answer not one that was one sided Anachronism. thx for da help.

Excuse the hell out of me.

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 03:40:22 AM »
Jimbobb,
I loaded some of these a few years ago , playing around with my 788 in 308. I'd have to look back in my records for the powder but I do remember that I used a little above minimum for the 180s. Boy was I surprised with the accuracy! 5 shots went into one big hole about 6'' lower than what the rifle was sighted in for(150s at the time). I never did hunt with them, so I can't give any advice on how well they may have worked. I had some left overs from where I was loading my Dad's 30/30.
If I were gonna load some for hunting, I'd probably find a reduced loading chart and have at it. My Dad knocked a bunch of deer flat with them outa his 30/30.

HWD

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 11:04:44 PM »
Hey anachronism - I'm thinking OP meant to say he was concerned that calling Hornady might get him biased answers compared to the folks here.  Seems to me he's thanking all  who answered here.  I sure don't think he was intending any snub or offense to anyone here.

I think the only 30-30 bullets I loaded in my 30-06 were just to use up in plinking and target practice - don't recall load or performance. I'd be most concerned for performance at close ranges if you push them to normal 308 velocities.  The Speer manuals usually offer light loads, and 4895 is a top choice for downloading. Check the Hodgdon website for their advice on it.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 01:00:11 AM »
Jimbob,
 I can tell you this about wrong bullets...

Some years ago pop was wanting a different bullet after having a couple 180G spitzer bullets fail to expand on deer. He bought a box of Speer 150G FN, meant for the 30-30. His thinking was if I dont load them to max and just a little past 30-30 ballistics, I should be fine... SO He loaded them up in his 308 but not at a max loading.
For the next two years he ALMOST lost every deer he shot.
Late in the first year, pop watched a fair buck rubbing his horns in thick laurels. He could see the rack, and neck but no vitals. After about 30 minutes he had his shot. Some what screened with laurel leaves, but it was not far so he took the shot. NO effect... deer kept doing its thing with the tree... He shot again. this time the deer stopped for a instant and continued but more violently. He moved just a bit and found an opening and shot and dropped the deer. What had happened was those bullets had hit the laurels and came apart. That deers side was bleeding profusely. Almost his whole side!!!!
When we skinned it there was 6-8 small cuts just they the skin and the jackets that caused them where right there to tell the tale. He simply said to him self, I cannot shoot thru anything with this bullet. (Bad call)

Then in that second season, the biggest horned buck he had ever seen in the woods was in front of him. He only had a straight on shot. But no worries, he has shot many deer same place. The distance is about 60 yards wide open, bang... flop goes the deer. Pop looks down to get his footing to get off the tree he was on and looks up to see the deer crashing into the laurels. No worries he was not "doing well" and would not go far.... NOT SO.. we looked for TWO DAYS!!  We called in family, friends and neighbors to help look. We made a grid walked almost touching each other in a line a hundred yards long for miles... NOTHING!!!
 A week later back at home I pot pop up in one of my stands and made a little circle around him... Sure enough a little 8 Pt came out and pop shot him. This time broad side, down when the deer and again up he came! Pop was able to hit him again anchoring him. Neither bullet exited and when we butchered it there was shrapnel remaining...

Long story, short... The Speer 30 cal made for the 30-30 is not well suited for the 308 at 308 velocities for use on deer... ;)

Now I know you asked about the 170 RN Hornady bullet and not the Speer of my stories. But my point is its a 30-30 bullet, not a 308 bullet. Now I do very mcuh like the Hornady bullets, I use the 170 with good success in my 30-30.... But, it will stay with my 30-30 thank you very much! ::)

After that experience, Pop and I switched to another Speer bullet. The 165G RN bullet. Expressly designed for the 30/06,308,300 Savage. Unfortunately it is now discontinued. I was lucky enough to secure a life's supply (12 boxes) before it was gone.

What I would recommend to you would be don't tempt fate, we KNOW the 170G Hornady is a 30-30 bullet. YES some people use it and have had luck with it in bigger cases. I in no way want to slight them for it. But the fact is it is STILL a 30-30 bullet. Designed for the 30-30 velocities.

Please consider using a Sierra, Speer or Hornady 180G RN designed for the 308 cartridge and do not worry!!! Pop lost the biggest racked buck he will ever likely see, because of a stupid decision. Please at least consider my suggestion and remember my story. I for one will never forget it!

Merry Christmas,
 CW

EDIT:
 Something to remember when choosing a bullet. ANYTHING of 170 Grains is designed for the 30 Rem/ 30-30 Winchester vel range. That's 2200fps at the TOP end. The 150's are harder to differentiate, but generally speaking if its a FP or RN with a canalure, its a 30 Rem/30-30 Win bullet.
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 08:23:11 AM »
The  30-30 bullets made by various manufacturers are some of the best simply because the 30-30 has been around for a long time and the bullet makers have had plenty of opportunity to get it right. You have to figure that it is much easier to design a bullet for one cartridge with known ballistics than it is to design a bullet for a number of different cartridges. 30-30 bullets perform well at 30-30 velocities - pushing them faster may push them beyond their design capabilities. There may be three exceptions to this that I can think of. The Barnes 150 gr TSX FP, the Nosler 170 grain Partition RN, and the new Speer 170 grain Deep Curl (bonded). Their design and construction allow them to work well at 30-30 velocities but also hold together if pushed to higher velocities.