Author Topic: Cheek risers on Handis.  (Read 831 times)

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Cheek risers on Handis.
« on: December 13, 2011, 05:31:37 AM »
Do any of you bother with cheek risers on conventional stocks on your Handis? I've tried a couple and all they do is slide around. I think that's worse than not having a tight cheek weld on the buttstock when using a scope. I'm too cheap to buy a monte carlo stock.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Cheek risers on Handis.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 05:34:15 AM »
Hmmm, here's a novel idea, ya might check the FAQs!!  ;D

See Make your own synthetic cheek riser

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 06:08:03 AM »
I saw this one in the FAQ and it was one I wanted to try, it looks quite easy if you have a little time. And the times I swap a scoped barrel on a low combed stock reciever I think of it...... Always am going to, just never get it done.  thejanitor

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 08:50:32 AM »
 IF you are using one of the plain jane stocks, and don't mind possibly ruining it. I took one of my old stocks, took a small block of wood. Shaped the bottom of the block to match the top of the stock. Once it is a close fit, glue the block to the stock. Once it is completely dry, use wood filler and finish shaping it. Once you are happy with the shape, let it set and dry completely. Then seal it. The only problem is you really have to paint it.

I think CW has one, he mated a block to and put a clear finish on. But his fit a lot better than mine. Plus mine was On a 22 Marlin. I lengthened and the color would have been funky. Will see if I can find the picture.

Lonny

Offline ipyrek

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 09:40:39 AM »
Found these at Dunhams, just screw them on. I also found some plastic plugs at Ace hardware to fill the holes. There black, I just put some paint on the green one.
28ga.mod.,20ga.mod.,20ga.full,20ga.USH, 20ga.PardnerPump,20ga.StoegerSxS,17hmr, 223Superlight, 357mag/Max,Marlin 336/30-30

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 10:41:40 AM »
We just got a Dunhams here in Danville IL. I'll have to look for them. Thanks!

Offline sobeit

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 12:59:17 PM »
Made my own from a scrap piece of bannister rail....it's on a CVA stalker..check pic.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 01:10:56 PM »
One member was telling me he used computer mouse pads cut and glued to the butt. GOOD IDEA!!!

Sorry no pics...

YES, I did the same as Lonny on a pallet wood handi stock a while back. it worked OK but I swapped it off and went camo syn. My new fav handi stock! They are light, look good and are durable!

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 03:25:08 AM »
Limbsaver makes a cheek rest out of sorbothane; one is a 1/8th" thick the other is 1/4" thick. I have the 1/8 on my 500. They were out of 1/4" ones at the time. They just stick on wherever you want them.

Offline JB White

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 08:48:58 AM »
Mentioning it strictly as another option, there are also reproductions of the wood  British sniper cheek rests on the market. Those screw onto the comb with a little bit of individual fitting. Positioning is done to fit the user. Those too can also be easily removed for using iron sights if desired, (leaving behind two small holes in the comb). 

Using the photo for a model I'm sure some of the handi-types here could probably whittle up something similar for themselves.  8)

Credits: pic taken from this site-
http://www.justordinarymen.org.uk/page_1170213725015.html

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 11:13:52 AM »
I've been using foam pipe insulation and two sided 3M tape.  Might not look the best but works ok for me on the Survivor stock.  A little black paint and it looks like it belongs. 

I've got one that I'm thinking of trying CW's method on....when and if I ever get the time again.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Zeak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 05:52:46 AM »
I do about the same as mechanic does, except I trim the bottom 1/3 of the insulation off,and trim the ends on the the top of the insulation. I then tape the insulation to the stock with electrical tape on the ends. Then I slip a elastic shell holder over the stock and insulation, covering up all the insulation. I also punch a hole in the cover to fit over the sling stud and every thing stays in place. A paper punch works to punch a hole in the cover. It works great and has a nice feel to the cheek,plus you have shells ready to reload with.  The electrical tape has not discolored my stocks either, done this on a laminate and a black synthetic. Zeak