Author Topic: 6-6th scale bronze 3 pndrs  (Read 592 times)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
6-6th scale bronze 3 pndrs
« on: December 13, 2011, 12:57:11 PM »
Well I have a small commision of sorts....... finishing six 1:6th scale 3pounders.... The model was taken of of a three pounder cast in America during the Revolution Colonial Williamsburg is working on casting a full scale one of these..... I am getting these two at a time sand cast solid I will be doing mostly hand finishing / polishing and boring Cal. 62...... and one 50 cal. ..... I get to keep one of the 62 cals. ......

The bottom one in the bottom photo is as cast... the top one has had some filing done on it....the fun part is they didn't give me anything I can easly chuck up in the lathe to bore them.... turned a drill extension today may make something to put around the rear of the cannon that the chuck can grab onto....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: 6-6th scale bronze 3 pndrs
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 01:04:34 PM »
My half scale bronze mountain howitzer is machined on all surfaces.  Yeah, I know, a much simpler pattern.  How much machining allowance do you have?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 02:21:26 PM »
Can you use your wood lathe as a cradle so you can work on it and rotate it by hand ,auto grinders will work . Even try a sureform if needed .

Looks like a fun little project ! 8)  Good Luck .
Gary

Write me when you get ready to drill anything on it .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 06:41:44 AM »
My half scale bronze mountain howitzer is machined on all surfaces.  Yeah, I know, a much simpler pattern.  How much machining allowance do you have?
Not much allowance... the moldings on either side of the trunnions are rather fine... one slip and the would be gone.... so far fileing has workerd wonders on it I will chuck it up on the lathe for final polishing...
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 01:29:02 PM »

Well I have been working on these after hours at work I have most of the filing done on the bottom one except for the trunnions, next I will cut off the sprue and set up to bore a hole...... I have a stepped piece of Nylon to go around it so I can center it in the lathe.... we will see how this works...

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 12:49:20 AM »
Allen -
Lookin' forward to the pix!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline exlimey

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 02:22:47 AM »
Hi Kabar  They look like 3pdr Verbruggens the second model as used during the Rev War. Don,t hold your breath waiting for C.W. to cast theirs as they have not been successful in casting a Coehorn Mortar yet. 2 years and counting! you have to give them an A-Plus tho for meddling in the "Occult Art" of the foundryman. I,m of to the foundry to pick up my 2"1/4  bronzeMortars tomorrow. Boy do i hate filing  those up.