Author Topic: CC carry question....  (Read 2085 times)

Offline Ron/Pa.

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
CC carry question....
« on: December 14, 2011, 03:55:12 PM »
 Have a CC question. Am I correct that I cannot , legal wise,conceal carry into a Post Office? But, is it legal to leave it in your vehicle when going in to do business?? In other words, I am heading into Town. I have my Pistol on me. Can I stop at the Post Office and let the Pistol in my Car while I go in??? Kinda confused on this.....Thanks

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: CC carry question....
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 04:53:07 PM »
I don't know.  But I was in a post office in Burbank in the mid 90's they had just built.  The bullet proof glass was installed to keep bullets in the back and protect the customer from the people in the back and not the clerk from the customer.

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
CC carry question....
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 05:26:08 PM »
:)
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline Qaz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 01:45:36 AM »
 You are correct in that you can not take it in to the post office, but you can not have it in your car in the parking lot either, it is a federal offense!

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 03:14:41 AM »
That's why it's called concealed carry, so no one but you knows it's there. No one is going to search you in the post office while dropping off mail. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it! ;)

Offline Ron/Pa.

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 04:32:16 AM »
   My concern comes from being wary of the local Lard bottomed very anti-gun Post Mistress at our local Post Office. She has already gotten a couple guys in trouble over mailings. We`ve have had a couple heated go rounds and I suppose I`m on the She Beasts revenge list!!!! Hopefully She will be sent down the road when the Axe falls on the Postal system. Thanks for the Heads up......

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
CC carry question....
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 05:13:24 AM »
   My concern comes from being wary of the local Lard bottomed very anti-gun Post Mistress at our local Post Office. She has already gotten a couple guys in trouble over mailings. We`ve have had a couple heated go rounds and I suppose I`m on the She Beasts revenge list!!!! Hopefully She will be sent down the road when the Axe falls on the Postal system. Thanks for the Heads up......
please elaborate on the "gotten guys in trouble over mailings" part.
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 05:20:15 AM »
We have post offices in retail stores here out in the country . I still don't know about carry in the store . The reg PO is a no no but as for the parking lot , if a sign is not posted ................... not sure .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 05:51:41 AM »
We have post offices in retail stores here out in the country . I still don't know about carry in the store . The reg PO is a no no but as for the parking lot , if a sign is not posted ................... not sure .
I agree with shoot all, if you are just dropping off a letter, do it at one of the private, pack and mail places.  The sell stamps, weigh mail and do everything the post office does. 

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 05:55:55 AM »
Might well be illegal to have a gun in the parking lot, but I am sure that at least half of the vehicles that pull into the lot at our Post Office have a gun or two in them. The number would probably actually be closer to 75%

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 06:27:32 AM »
I think the key here is, "You can not carry on most FEDERAL property."  The parking lot is FEDERAL property and one of those that you can't carry on. In some FEDERAL parks or Rec areas you can carry, but they are mostly in wilderness areas. I recently ws stopped on a military base and asked if I was carrying.  Luckly, I had left my gun at home because I planned to visit the base, after the Ft. Hood incident that is a real no-no!!! :o :o :o

I have been guilty of leaving my gun in the LOCKED car while doing business at the post office, I wouldn't carry it inside the building. Like someone said, it is concealed carry, who is going to search your car?

Offline TOGO

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 12:45:39 PM »
I stopped worrying about where I cannot carry years ago. There are only 2 places I never carry, the court house and school when I have to pick my child up. My gun is concealed and as long as no one can see it, who cares, in the end it's about protecting my life.  I refuse to be one of the sheep.

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 01:01:27 PM »
When I attended my son's Army boot camp graduation at Fort Leonard Wood, I had two choices concerning my pistol:  Keep it in the truck with me and go on base or leave it in the hotel room.  There were so many parents and family members coming and going those two days I didn't even worry about a security check.
Since my pistol is always in my truck, I would have to completely avoid the post office to stay legal.  Most gun laws just seem to be arbitrary, ineffective and ownerous.  Follow them when you can, but sometimes you just can't.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 01:15:15 AM »
Not sure its illegal in a container un loaded , secured in the vehicle in the parking lot . Federal law allows for transport .

Offline hoggunner

• Avid Poster
    • 4A's Personal Protection Training
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2011, 02:55:53 AM »
In a concealed carry class we were told that the federal law for transporting which is legal in all states is firearm must be unloaded and locked in a case. the ammo must be locked in a seperate locked case. also any magazines must unloaded and locked with the ammo seperate from the gun. hope thats clearer then mud.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2011, 05:42:39 AM »
In other words if you have a gun that is always legal by Federal standards, bring a baseball bat to defend yourself.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 10:03:56 AM »
Its good to know someone is working on carry at the postoffice.

Have you heard about the National Association for Gun Rights' lawsuit against the U.S. Post Service's gun ban?

Just a few weeks ago, a federal judge ruled that NAGR's lawsuit was valid, and we're now moving forward with it.

The U.S. Postal Service uses bureaucratic rules to ban your right to carry in a Post Office or in the parking lot, and that's important, even if you don't carry concealed -- it's the camel's nose under the tent.

You see, the U.S. Postal Service claims Americans don't have the right to self-defense in Post Offices.

There's one problem with that claim: it isn't true.

The law cited by the U.S. Postal Service creates an exception for "lawful carrying of firearms" for "other lawful purposes." On top of that, both the Heller and McDonald Supreme Court decisions guarantee "the individual right to possess and carry weapons in case of confrontation."

Sounds like it should be simple, right?

Well, no government bureaucracy ever gave up power without a fight.

And, given the anti-gun nature of the Obama administration, we know they aren't going to instruct the U.S. Postal Service properly.

So your National Association for Gun Rights acted quickly to file suit against the U.S. Postal Service.

Will you chip in to support this lawsuit on behalf of the safety and self-defense of all law-abiding Americans?

National Association for Gun Rights members Debbie and Tab Bonidy live in the mountains of Colorado, and are the plaintiffs -- along with the National Association for Gun Rights -- against the Postal Service.

Debbie Bonidy doesn't like going anywhere without her personal handgun, which is why she went through the trouble of being trained, proving she's law-abiding, and getting her concealed carry permit. Not only does the U.S. Postal Service say she can't carry that handgun for self protection in a Post Office, but they arrogantly claim she can't even leave it in her car when in their lot.

If we win this lawsuit, that outrageous policy will change in every Post Office in America.

Because NAGR and the Bonidy's are facing a U.S. Postal Service that will spend whatever it takes to win this case against gun owners and all Americans, the more allies you and I have in this fight, the better.

Please consider chipping in a generous contribution to help win this case.

For Freedom,

signature
   Dudley Brown
   Executive Director

P.S. I hope you will support our lawsuit against the U.S. Postal Services' ban on self-defense.

If we win, they'll be forced to allow legally-authorized individuals to carry in Post Offices across the country.

Please click here to chip in and help fund this important lawsuit.

The National Association for Gun Rights is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, single-purpose citizens' organization dedicated to preserving and protecting the Constitutionally protected right-to-keep-and-bear-arms through an aggressive program designed to mobilize public opposition to anti-gun legislation. The National Association for Gun Rights' mailing address is P.O 7002, Fredericksburg, VA 22404. They can be contacted toll-free at 1-877-405-4570. Its web address is www.NationalGunRights.org/

To help the National Association for Gun Rights grow, please forward this to a friend.

To view this email as a web page, please click this link: view online.

Help fight gun control. Donate to the National Association for Gun Rights!
donate [/b]

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 02:55:31 PM »
According to the Conceal Carry booklet from the Missouri Highway Patrol, no you can not carry in ANY government building which includes a Post Office. But yes, it is legal to leave your firearm in the car. Missouri also has what is called the Peaceable Journey Act;

You can legally have a loaded concealable firearm in the passenger compartment of your vehicle if you are 21 or over in MO per RSMo 571.030.3 It needs to be concealed on your person or within the vehicle (glove box, center console, etc.) If you do not posssess a valid CCW, you must remove the firearm from your person prior to exiting the vehicle.

The bad guys don't care about laws so I carry everywhere. Conceal Carry means just that! Don't advertise you're carrying and who's to know and if you do need it to save your life then it's worth dealing with the aftermath.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 06:26:04 PM »
What's the old saying Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2012, 02:16:01 AM »
I carried illegally for so long I almost didn't get my CCW.
As far as "legality" I am illegal and a liar.
I have no qualms about this and will just have to take my medicine if they catch me.
Ever take a road trip thru the National Parks? I was an outlaw all of the time I did it.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline jlwilliams

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2012, 02:47:52 AM »
  I agree that concealed means concealed, if you have the right holster for your gun, your body and your clothes it will never be an issue.   That said I don't want to encourage anybody to break the law.  If you don't want to break the rules you can put a lock box in your car.  A toolbox with a lock bolted into the trunk, a small purpose built gun lockup under the front seat a locking briefcase.  There are many options.  That would give you the option of securing your gun in the car in such a way that no one is going to smash and grab your gun while you are in the bank or post office.  Your choises aree to either keep the gun under your controll on your person (I think that's best, but I'm not encouraging anybody to break any law) or lock it up in your vehicle. 

Them's the choises.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2012, 05:37:17 AM »
Even in states that won't let you carry a gun in your car , the cops have to have probable cause to start opening locked boxes in the vehicle. I've been out of the business for a long time, perhaps someone could give us an update on search and sezure law.

If the cops can find large stashes of drugs in cars and have the judge throw out the bust you would think that the law would protect you and me from illegal search.

My brother in law was in Calif. when he was stopped for traffic or something. He said he had to get his ID out of the glove box, but he had a 45 in there and he knew it was illegal, so he told the cop. The lawman said something like "your bad guy insurance huh" and never said any more about it.

Off topic, but that is a good case for looking like what you are. My brother in law has short hair, is clean cut, and generally wears working mans clothes. I kind of doubt the stop would have gone the same way if he had looked like a scumbag. As a cop when you approach someone you know nothing about you are looking for clues as to what you are dealing with, even whether the hair is glossy or dull. All of this is processed and affects the way you do your job.

Offline jlwilliams

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2012, 09:20:45 AM »
  They say you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.  Then again, the cover is what you see first.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 02:30:58 AM »
Even in states that won't let you carry a gun in your car , the cops have to have probable cause to start opening locked boxes in the vehicle. I've been out of the business for a long time, perhaps someone could give us an update on search and sezure law.

The trick now is to ask if you have any weapons ? Do you lie ? Your attitude or word choices can lead to probable cause ..........

Offline FTG-05

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 07:39:01 AM »
Its good to know someone is working on carry at the postoffice.

For Freedom,

signature
   Dudley Brown
   Executive Director

P.S. I hope you will support our lawsuit against the U.S. Postal Services' ban on self-defense.

If we win, they'll be forced to allow legally-authorized individuals to carry in Post Offices across the country.

Please click here to chip in and help fund this important lawsuit.

The National Association for Gun Rights is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, single-purpose citizens' organization dedicated to preserving and protecting the Constitutionally protected right-to-keep-and-bear-arms through an aggressive program designed to mobilize public opposition to anti-gun legislation. The National Association for Gun Rights' mailing address is P.O 7002, Fredericksburg, VA 22404. They can be contacted toll-free at 1-877-405-4570. Its web address is www.NationalGunRights.org/

scammers:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1269051_Scam_being_run_by_the_National_Association_for_Gun_Rights.html