Author Topic: What brand and style recoils pads does H&R use?  (Read 1492 times)

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
What brand and style recoils pads does H&R use?
« on: December 16, 2011, 02:36:39 AM »
I'm getting ready to install a couple of recoil pads on some shotgun stocks.  I wanted to use the same style recoil pads as on the Handi-Rifles.
Does anyone know what they are?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: What brand and style recoils pads does H&R use?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 03:13:09 AM »
The pad used by the factory works but isn't anything to write home about certainly nothing worth copying IMHO.

If its a "kicker" get a good pad like a  decelorator or kick eez or Limb saver.

If just a rifle style pad it's tough to beat a traditional Pachmayer.

The factory "pads" are punched out of a sheet of material specifically made for them. It's not really a pad at all but it works. 

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 03:22:13 AM »
I will probably get a Pacmayer.  I have used limbsaver, but I have found if you leave the gun standing for a while, the pad melts to the floor.

Offline John R.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 03:22:17 AM »
They appear to be made from recycled tires, and are just about as effective. ;D  I would put a Limbsaver on it, it makes a world of difference.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 04:17:45 AM »
Quote from: STUMPJMPR link=topic=247198.msg1099432128#msg1099432128 date
with Limbsaver, I have found if you leave the gun standing for a while, the pad melts to the floor.

Mine TOO!!!

They are very effective at taking the snap out of big kickers. But  because they sit allot more than they are shot the freaking pad oozes and breaks down. In one I put on my Marlin 1895 is about 3/8" squished at the comb!!! BUT Deceloraters that I have had longer are fine and do almost as good a job at recoil. Kick Eez are newer and cam up more with shotguners (Trap n Skeet folks)than hunters. But these also are excellent.

Frankly to my shoulder, many calibers need nothing but a bit of rubber and for these I like the traditional Pachmayer "rifle" pads.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 04:25:55 AM »
Quote from: STUMPJMPR link=topic=247198.msg1099432128#msg1099432128 date
with Limbsaver, I have found if you leave the gun standing for a while, the pad melts to the floor.

Mine TOO!!!

They are very effective at taking the snap out of big kickers. But  because they sit allot more than they are shot the freaking pad oozes and breaks down. In one I put on my Marlin 1895 is about 3/8" squished at the comb!!! BUT Deceloraters that I have had longer are fine and do almost as good a job at recoil. Kick Eez are newer and cam up more with shotguners (Trap n Skeet folks)than hunters. But these also are excellent.

Frankly to my shoulder, many calibers need nothing but a bit of rubber and for these I like the traditional Pachmayer "rifle" pads.

CW

I have found the stock reoil pads on Handi's more than adequate.  Even on the hard kickers.  They are a fairly soft pad that collapses well.  My intention was to install one on my  shotgun, since the plastic recoil pad doesn't cut it.  It leaves my shoulder stinging even from low brass.   

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 06:34:02 AM »
I will probably get a Pacmayer.  I have used limbsaver, but I have found if you leave the gun standing for a while, the pad melts to the floor.
I had the same thing happen.  Thought it was just me.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 08:33:48 AM »
Late model Limbsavers don't melt like the originals, you can coat the older ones with Kick-Eez Slick-Eez pad treatment to prevent them from melting, ArmorAll will also help.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00206101SE

Tim

There's a real simple solution for collapsed pads....

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline JB White

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 08:55:10 AM »
That's good to know. I plan to pass that info along to a friend who just put a Limbsaver on his son's shotgun this season. I'll suggest he store it muzzle down.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 09:03:38 AM »
If Limbsaver was $10 I'd accept having to put a special treatment on it.  At the price they charge it should work properly, not melt.  I've always used Pachmayer so why change what works.
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 10:39:12 AM »
Won't your rifles get dizzy standing on their head??
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 10:45:43 AM »
Nope, and oil doesn't run down the bore and into the action or on the stock either, works great on muzzleloaders too, no need to worry about oil accumulating in the breech for a potential contaminated load and misfire!  8)

Tim

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 05:52:18 PM »
I use a couple sizes of slip on Limbsavers.  Just keep em in the side pouch of my shooting bag and pull out the one that works.  LOP has never been really special for me, but I only owned one scoped firearm until recently.  lol  If I did the scope thing, it might be more important.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 11:33:08 PM »
Good to hear of the treatment for the pads!

Yea mine live on there muzzles or horizontal too, for some years now for all the reasons Tim mentioned. BUT the damage is done to most of the Limb-Saver pads, and the fact remains it didn't happen to the Decelerators.
BTW, If you do the grind to fit, you dont have to freeze them or do anything fancy to grind them to fit either!!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline goofyoldfart

• grumpy old fart as well as goofy old fart.
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 03:01:50 AM »
Quick: it's simply intolerable and insensitive to post a picture of that many handi's , when I only have one (30-30 synthetic) and am so broke on S.S. !!!!! ( :'( ) Now, I have to budget to either buy another Handi or to finish up fixing my BSA Martini Peabody in 45-70. you have just put me a SERIOUS quandary, thanks loads. ;) They sure are 'purdy.  God Bless to all.

Goofy

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2011, 05:29:21 AM »
That's Ok Goofy, I just bought another one to make up for ya!!  ;D

Thanks,

Tim

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 06:23:55 AM »
Melting of the pad used to be a problem. The original one I had on my 500 did just that. When I called Limbsaver, they said they were aware of the problem and had it fixed. They sent me a new pad, and I haven't had any problems with it (2 years).

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 06:52:15 AM »
Melting of the pad used to be a problem. The original one I had on my 500 did just that. When I called Limbsaver, they said they were aware of the problem and had it fixed. They sent me a new pad, and I haven't had any problems with it (2 years).
Well than maybe I call too! I have three I know of, if I dig a bit I bet there is a couple more!!!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline BKS

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 05:38:19 PM »
I saw a "prefit" Limbsaver today at Sportsman's Warehouse. It said it fit SBII's monte carlo style.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 12:11:39 AM »
I saw a "prefit" Limbsaver today at Sportsman's Warehouse. It said it fit SBII's monte carlo style.

Yes, they are OK, not great but about as good as factory pads... Here is a couple pics of them on two of my stocks.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline bowtech302

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 02:50:09 AM »
I bought a "prefit" limbsaver pad for my USH 12 gauge. Says clearly on the package that it was for the USH with laminate stock. It was not even close for either the standard or the thumbhole......

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 05:24:39 AM »
Limbsaver has several pads that come close to fitting H&R wood stocks, the model for the SB2-988 USH is one of the prefits that works on some, the #10018 is made for the old style synthetic stock, and the #10011 will work on the new style checkered synthetic stock with modification, of course this info is all in the FAQs, has been for years, best advice is use the templates on Limbsaver's website to compare your stock to see what fits best, H&R wood stocks aren't identical, if you think they are, just try swapping recoil pads, each pad is individually fitted so they aren't the same!

Tim

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 08:00:37 AM »
I ended up ording a Pachmayer for $18.00.  It is the F325 model.  It is similiar to the old style H&R recoil pads.  I will be installing it this weekend.  This is my second grind to fit recoil pad.  I am going to trim the stock by 1.15" and fit the pad.  I'm trying to keep the LOP the same.  I'm also hoping I can do this without refinishing the stock. 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 08:08:13 AM »
If your careful you should be able to fit the pad without refinishing the stock. I have done many myself.  Cover the stock with tape (removable) and use a fine toothed blade.

Final dressing g of the pad can be FI usher with tape on stock. The tiny thickness will not do anything.

CW

NRA LIFE Member