Author Topic: vulcan bullets?  (Read 547 times)

Offline Gallahad

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Contributor
vulcan bullets?
« on: December 16, 2011, 02:53:12 AM »
anybody have experience with norma vulcan bullets? I see they have loaded ammo in 280- 170 gr. vulcan @ 2600 fps. looking for a good deer load that will put em down quick, and get complete penetration. the 150 gr. partitions just aint doin' it. killed 3 deer with em this year, but tracking was impossible. not a drop of blood until they fell over, and we diden't have snow for the first half of the season. they ran an average of 50 yds. in the thick woods I hunt that can be a real problem. Vulcans are supposed to be pure lead, and they look like a type of hollow point(I know they are just a protected point, but they look like they would have violent expansion) and they are heavy enough to get good penetration.  any real world info is helpful. Was also considering a tsx load. still don't quite trust that bullet yet. read about a lot of failure to open up on bears.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
Re: vulcan bullets?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 08:53:17 AM »
Maybe I'm making this to simple.

For what you are doing why not try a controlled expansion cup and core bullet?

The lowest cost would probably by a Rem Cor Lokt.

The other one to try would be Speer's 160 gr Hot Core or DeepCurl whatever they call their product now.

Both should be fine for bears(black).

Norma has made good products over the years, if you want to spend the extra $, why not.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Gallahad

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Contributor
Re: vulcan bullets?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 10:23:13 AM »
well i tried the 165 gr. core locks, because the weight and scalloped edge round nose. should work great for what i want, but accuracy was lacking.  @ 4" at 100 yds. (I don't reload anymore, so i need a factory offering) I may still play with that one.

I don't see the hot core in a factory round. 

I'm still curious about the tsx. I question the claim that they don't foul the barrel, and as stated earlier, know of failure to mushrooms. I clean my barrels with rem oil. no harsh solvents. never had a problem with accuracy in any gun. is an all copper bullet different? would rem oil cut it, or would I be scrubbing the bore all night? I know their claim that they are not any longer than normal bullets of the same weight is bogus as well. they compare theirs against bullets like the sirocco, which(if you ever looked at a real cross section) is mostly jacket with a polymer tip. They ARE longer than  a normal cup and core with a lead tip.  Because barnes isn't realistic in those points, (reliable expansion, and length comparison) I don't know if I can trust the claims of no fouling, and the rest they make. I'M STILL CURIOUS ABOUT THEM because users claim awsome blood trails, penetration, accuracy,and quick kills.

still want to know if anyone uses vulcans!