Author Topic: 2012 postal shoot, Ring in the spring and other stuff  (Read 1831 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
2012 postal shoot, Ring in the spring and other stuff
« on: December 17, 2011, 05:56:17 AM »
I am getting ready to put up the post for the 2012 postal shoot.  Even though we had no entries, I am going to continue division II again this year.  I am going to do some testing of the large bore format this year to see what I can come up with.  The large bore format need some tweeking.

I have thought about breaking this up into  two shoots, spring and fall.  Any thoughts that?  Say first shoot ends June first.  The second shoot ends October 1.

Spring is March 20 this year, so should we Ring in the Spring March 18 or March 24?

This lets see if we can get some new blood shooting cannons.  Make it a point to introduce some one to to cannonshooting. Take out some one who has never been cannon shooting before and let them fire there first shoot!  Be sure and take thei picture and post it here.

Any other ideas share them here!!!

Offline jamesfrom180

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: 2012 postal shoot, Ring inthe spring and other stuff
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 03:35:23 AM »
I am interested in Div II.  Plan on submitting targets, though will be a challenge with a smooth bore and gb.
AMMA Bosslopper 1988

Offline Double D

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 04:08:42 AM »
I am interested in Div II.  Plan on submitting targets, though will be a challenge with a smooth bore and gb.

Not as hard as you think if you get some of the group buy zinc golf balls listed in the classifieds.  It only takes practice. Check the SAMCC website to learn how to aim.

Offline jamesfrom180

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 04:42:24 AM »
I have and found it most satisfying as far as aiming.  Usually three shots and I'm on paper.  Have not worked up to 100 yrd., but trust me I will get there.

Anyone else out there want to shoot in Div. II?
AMMA Bosslopper 1988

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 05:57:50 AM »
I am getting ready to put up the post for the 2012 postal shoot.  Even though we had no entries, I am going to continue division II again this year.  I am going to do some testing of the large bore format this year to see what I can come up with.  The large bore format need some tweeking.

I have thought about breaking this up into  two shoots, spring and fall.  Any thoughts that?  Say first shoot ends June first.  The second shoot ends October 1.

Spring is March 20 this year, so should we Ring in the Spring March 18 or March 24?

This lets see if we can get some new blood shooting cannons.  Make it a point to introduce some one to to cannonshooting. Take out some one who has never been cannon shooting before and let them fire there first shoot!  Be sure and take thei picture and post it here.

Any other ideas share them here!!!

There are certainly many members on this board that fire miniature artillery pieces, and judging by some of the questions that they ask here, it would seem like a lot of folks are interested in learning more about powder and shot, with the goal in mind of achieving greater accuracy; so why aren't more members participating in the two (small and larger bore) annual postal shoots?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 06:51:23 AM »

There are certainly many members on this board that fire miniature artillery pieces, and judging by some of the questions that they ask here, it would seem like a lot of folks are interested in learning more about powder and shot, with the goal in mind of achieving greater accuracy; so why aren't more members participating in the two (small and larger bore) annual postal shoots?

I sure don't have the answer John, wish I did.

It is kind of a challenge to figure out how to do it and it does take time to shoot the 12 rounds required. 

You did a good job figuring it out.  Others can to. 

Maybe folks like you and I should focus a little more on loading and load development and post our results on the board.

The guns you and I shoot would make good platforms for load testing.

My SAMCC gun is 50 cal.  Track of the Wolf lists 7 different type of 50 cal balls from .580 to .500 diameter, an great number of patch styles as well as a slew of card, fiber and felt wads. Lots of stuff to play with. 

We don't have to wait for others, we can just do it.  If we show folks how easy it is to do, they will join in.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 11:45:52 AM »
I had planned to submit an entry in last years shoot, but life happened.  I was down a total of six weeks due to injury and then a still undiagnosed illness.  On top of that a record rain fall kept me inside more than I like, and a 64 hour work week schedule...

Well you get the idea, I hope to be shooting this year, we will have to see how it goes.

I was able to give all the male members of my family a firecracker cannon so far two are hooked.  ;)

Hope 2012 is better for everyone
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Double D

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 02:59:53 PM »
I had planned to submit an entry in last years shoot, but life happened.  I was down a total of six weeks due to injury and then a still undiagnosed illness.  On top of that a record rain fall kept me inside more than I like, and a 64 hour work week schedule...

Well you get the idea, I hope to be shooting this year, we will have to see how it goes.

I was able to give all the male members of my family a firecracker cannon so far two are hooked.  ;)

Hope 2012 is better for everyone

Yes life is always full of surprises.  Sure learned that this year. 

Any one have any comments on whether to have one or two shoots this year?.

Offline GGaskill

Re: 2012 postal shoot, Ring in the spring and other stuff
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 03:20:42 PM »
Any one have any comments on whether to have one or two shoots this year?

If you want to handle having two shoots, let's have two shoots.  But the participation seems to be small enough when there is only one.  Maybe allow a re-entry fired at least three months later than the first one.

I would imagine that most people don't have a range 10 minutes from their back doors.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 04:35:31 PM »
Any one have any comments on whether to have one or two shoots this year?

If you want to handle having two shoots, let's have two shoots.  But the participation seems to be small enough when there is only one.  Maybe allow a re-entry fired at least three months later than the first one.

I would imagine that most people don't have a range 10 minutes from their back doors.

Yeah good point, George, I hate the long drive out to the range myself.

Having a shorter open period might cut down the procrastination....

I also been thinking about awards or something.  If I had deep pockets, a heck of a lot more skill and one of those 3d printers I would make up some cannon trophies.

Offline P38

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 05:05:43 PM »
I'd have a crack at Div II.

Although this would be our winter but would be no problem to shoot in the time period given.

I only have the one cannon shooting golf balls and I be bloody surprised if I even hit a UIT target @ 100m but I'd still give it a go.

Cheers
Pete.

Offline Double D

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 06:13:16 PM »
If I remember right you are an antipodean...I was going to suggest you get some steel or zinc golf balls listed in the Group buy stickies of the classifieds, with postage might be a bit expensive.

Or you could have  HMR make a you a golf ball mould and send it down and you could cast your own.

Offline keith44

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 09:17:11 PM »
just thinking out loud here, but how about one shoot that lasts all year??  Use the existing caliber divisions, everyone shoot and post as the year progresses, submit only two targets for score, deadline Dec 1, start Jan 1?

Life member NRA

Offline Double D

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 04:02:00 AM »
just thinking out loud here, but how about one shoot that lasts all year??  Use the existing caliber divisions, everyone shoot and post as the year progresses, submit only two targets for score, deadline Dec 1, start Jan 1?

Anyone, comments?

Offline P38

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 09:37:43 AM »
If I remember right you are an antipodean...I was going to suggest you get some steel or zinc golf balls listed in the Group buy stickies of the classifieds, with postage might be a bit expensive.

Or you could have  HMR make a you a golf ball mould and send it down and you could cast your own.

Antipodean .... Hahaha.

Yes I'm a Kiwi and I live in the Sunny South Pacific.
New Zealand.

Postage from the states is always a killer for us however I'm going to turn up my own moulds once I have worked out the correct shrinkage rate and cast some lead balls for my cannon .

BTW would a six shot grape canister still count for Div II?  ;)

Cheers
Pete

Offline Double D

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 10:17:37 AM »

Antipodean .... Hahaha.

Yes I'm a Kiwi and I live in the Sunny South Pacific.
New Zealand.

Postage from the states is always a killer for us however I'm going to turn up my own moulds once I have worked out the correct shrinkage rate and cast some lead balls for my cannon .

BTW would a six shot grape canister still count for Div II?  ;)

Cheers
Pete

Sure shot a 6 shot grape...would be keeping with the spirit of the  original...I encourage every one to shoot cannister...I will have a better chance then, shooting one at a time. 

Offline Don Krag

• Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 05:40:30 PM »
Sounds like fun. I think I have a good friend down here hooked and ready to start building. We'll be shooting out at his property. Lots of room for a 100 yrd shot. These will be medieval models we're building.

Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 07:33:19 AM »
Any one have any comments on whether to have one or two shoots this year?.

DD,
Yeah, stick with the two, I've also been thinking about entering the class II competition.

Anyone, comments?

A lot of guys (me included) aren't going to be out at the range in the cold months, so how about meeting half way? How does April all the way to the end of October sound (for both classes)? That gives seven full months to get the projos on targets; that should be enough time, even for unregenerate procrastinators like me.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 03:25:11 AM »
Hi, I'm interested in both divisions this year. Can you spell out the requirements for both or refer me to a post that does?
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 05:24:23 AM »
LS,

Check out the sticky "2nd Annual GBO Miniature Cannon Club Postal Shoot-results."

Offline Double D

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 06:35:24 AM »
Unfinished business

The status of the postal shot is up to the new moderators.

Offline keith44

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 08:25:18 PM »
as you wish
Life member NRA

Offline Double D

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 02:38:54 PM »
I have been contacted via my  website about the postal match.  There is an international interest.

Here is some links I gathered from their website.

http://www.wnsc.co.uk/page2-4-3.html

http://www.ncagb.com/

http://www.wnsc.co.uk/page2-4-3-1.html

If the GBO postal is to continue, I will direct them here.

I have already direct then here for general cannon discussion.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 03:19:11 PM »
I was thinking about this yesterday.  Doug, do you want to handle the targets or should I?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 03:42:28 PM »
I was thinking about this yesterday.  Doug, do you want to handle the targets or should I?

Your call George. 

Offline Double D

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2012, 06:10:35 AM »
Okay, I'm doing this.  Give me a day or two.

Two changes for sure.

Division II will be shot at 50 yards.

Division II will be for 1/4 scale but no larger than 2 inch bore.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2012, 06:44:06 AM »
DD,

I think that inviting some of our island dwelling comrades to compete in the annual postal shoot is a grand idea.

I'm definitely in for Division I, and I'm also going to try and put some holes in two targets for Division II this year. 

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2012, 08:16:03 AM »
Speaking of 'island dwellers', where the heck is Tropico? I've never known him to turn down the burning of Black powder. I am certain that he, of all of us, would not fall off the edge of the World.

Michael

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2012, 03:56:04 AM »
DD, The 50 yard range is an excellent alteration. Wish I had something that shot 2" stuff, 2.25 is my smallest.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline Double D

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2012, 08:22:59 AM »
DD, The 50 yard range is an excellent alteration. Wish I had something that shot 2" stuff, 2.25 is my smallest.

I no longer get a paycheck here, but i still support the sponsor.  One of them should be able to help you.

Wait a minute, I never got a paycheck her.  I took all the abuse for free.