Author Topic: 240 wby  (Read 2749 times)

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
240 wby
« on: December 18, 2011, 03:10:39 AM »
Any fans here? I see wby has it listed as a chambering for the vanguard now. Anyone seen any at dealers yet? I kind of interested in trying it as its one mag round ive never fooled with. Im not looking for a bunch of negitives or guys telling me to make up a 6-06 or that brass is expensive. i know all of the negetives. Im looking for guys that have actually shot stuff with it and what they thought of it and any heads up as to where i can pick one up.
blue lives matter

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 240 wby
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 08:51:26 AM »
 :)  Never had a .240, but my old hunting partner had one on a thumb hole stock...he shot mostly whitetails, antelope, and varmits with it...He loved it..one caliber I haven't fooled with..looks like fun...As I remember he shot 100 grain Noslers I think with 4350 powder...

Offline shot1

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 11:03:54 AM »
My hunting buddy had one for a while. It was a 98 Mauser action with a Douglas barrel. He picked it up in one of his MANY trade deals he is always coming out smelling like a rose in. He was running H4831 and 100 gr Sierra bullets. He shot a few deer with it but found that the Sierra would blow up pretty bad on 100 yard and closer shots if you hit the shoulder. It was not any more accurate than average and you know all the negatives like brass cost and lots more powder to get 100 fps over a 6mm rem. He sold the rifle and kept the Leupold VXIII 3.5-10X50 which was worth more than he had in the whole deal.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 11:13:51 AM »
Had a Ruger#1 rebarreld with a Douglas# 3 contour.

I've used it on fallow deer Does in Management hunts loaded with the old style 85 gr Nosler PT.

It turned out to be a No Step Load.

IMO a fine 6mm cartridge.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline RevJim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 05:19:06 AM »
  I like the round. My first one was a Weatherby Ultralight, and I load the older Barnes 90X with R19 ( only cartridge I like to use R19, ha) and it was a killer. I gave the rifle to my Pastor as a gift, down in Texas, and he shot Axis deer with it. I had another .240W built for my Grandson ( if ever gets to grow up and get away from his smothering/overprotective Mom, ha!) It has a long, Shilen barrel on a Model 700 action with a synthetic stock. I loaded 85 XBT's out of it, and it is humming! I always used Weatherby brass, and it lasts awhile. This isn't a plinking round anyhow. I also used a wildcat 6mm/284 that gave the same ballistics ( though more work) and the Nosler 90 BT on antelope. Very, very flat shooting.
  If I were going to make a wildcat on the '06 cases, I would do the 6.5/06 and have the same benefit of lighter bullets for deer;antelop, but could go up to the 140 for elk,etc. If I were hunting elk with the 240, I'd also use the newer Barnes TSX or Hornady GMX. I have a friend who uses the older Nosler 95 Partition in his 240 Weahterby on mule deer/elk for the past 30 yrs. It's a greta round.
 PS I used a little 6x47 and the Barnes 85xbt going 2900fps to kill a 500# Scimitar Horned pryx one year, 184 lasered yards, complete penetration on the base of the neck, drt. That is 243 velocity ( I had a neck surgery) the 240, pushing it faster, is wicked and alot of fun to shoot! Good luck.

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 12:48:44 PM »
  The 240 Wby is a great round,  its about the same powder capacity as the 6 X 284 but I have allways got more out of the 240.  If you look past the cost of the brass it and the 224 Wby are really suberb rounds.     Jed
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 01:22:35 PM »
  I use NP's in mine for big game too, it's built on a 700 Rem. action and is very accurate.

I wouldn't build/buy another, but i do like the one that i have...

Isn't it a "small" bore??  lol

DM

Offline RevJim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 06:24:42 AM »
  Well, I decided to break my grandson's .240W out of mothballs and use it myself! It is built on a Model 700 action, has a 27" Shilen #2 barrel on it and a Remington factory synthetic "Mountain Rifle" stock. Sports a Bushnell 3200 3x10 on it. I figure I might as well shoot some critters with it, enjoy myself until he is a teen, if then. He is only 8, but his Mom is a hard headed thing ( she gets that from her own Mom! ha) He likes to fish so far...it's a start. I have a bunch of factory ammo in 100 Partition, trying to decide what coyote bullet to load.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 03:44:08 PM »
  Well, I decided to break my grandson's .240W out of mothballs and use it myself! It is built on a Model 700 action, has a 27" Shilen #2 barrel on it and a Remington factory synthetic "Mountain Rifle" stock. Sports a Bushnell 3200 3x10 on it. I figure I might as well shoot some critters with it, enjoy myself until he is a teen, if then. He is only 8, but his Mom is a hard headed thing ( she gets that from her own Mom! ha) He likes to fish so far...it's a start. I have a bunch of factory ammo in 100 Partition, trying to decide what coyote bullet to load.

That sounds like a great rifle!
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 11:04:52 PM »

DM

I was thinking that too, should be moved to the
Small Bore Rifles
For .257" and under Discussion

yooper77

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 02:17:48 PM »

DM

Small Bore Rifles

yooper77

I was going to leave this alone, but since it is being commented on twice I have moved it. Now I can sleep! ;)
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 12:52:12 AM »
we will all sleep better now!  ;)

DM

Small Bore Rifles

yooper77

I was going to leave this alone, but since it is being commented on twice I have moved it. Now I can sleep! ;)
blue lives matter

Offline RevJim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 03:15:30 AM »
 Nice move! Ha. I decided to shoot the Nosler 90gr BT for coyotes ( I don't save the fur) and H4831. I loaded this bullet in a 6mm/284 one time, and it was super flat shooting out in the prairie, goes fast enough to help buck the wind too. I do want to use the 100 Partition on game though, seems it has a sterling reputation. I had for gotten about the factory ammo I was given a deal on. Back when I was having this rifle built, a friend who has a high dollar gun store asked me if I was interested in some .240 amm. Back then, it was about $55/box. I asked what kind of deal. He said I could pay $20/box, but I had to buy all he had, 7 boxes. I jumped on it! I had forgotten all that...must have been the three surgeries I had since then, ha. I tend to be one of those thta lose a lot of "memory" in my hard drive from being under. ha. Anyhow, I had shot up all but about 4 boxes of the 100PT and the 10rds of the 87gr. I also found three new boxes of Weatherby brass! Now if I can only find my dies!

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 07:42:57 AM »
we will all sleep better now!  ;)

DM

Small Bore Rifles

yooper77

I was going to leave this alone, but since it is being commented on twice.

I know I have been sleeping better since the move, you are a real life saver. The world make sense too me again.

Thank you so much,
yooper77

Offline RevJim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 03:46:17 AM »
 Ah yes, 'all things in moderation", even posts,ha. Hey you guys in MI, do you use (or plan to use) your .240 just for deer hunting or do you shoot coyotes/wolverines/Sasquatches with it too?

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 05:50:20 AM »
Ah yes, 'all things in moderation", even posts,ha. Hey you guys in MI, do you use (or plan to use) your .240 just for deer hunting or do you shoot coyotes/wolverines/Sasquatches with it too?

My 240 was origionally built as a truck gun.  I wanted a cartridge that i could kill a wolf/coyote/fox  as far away as i could see/hit one.  BUT, i did use it for sitka blk. tails too.

It's still usful for the above purposes, except now i'm shooting whitetails with it too.

DM

Offline RevJim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 06:56:27 PM »
 Sweet, how big do your whitetails average in weight? Our mule deer average about 150# to 225#. Biggest I've shot was right at 200# on the hoof, young deer. I've "seen" a few that had to be close to 300#, but they were alot smarter and slicker than I was, ha.

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 11:30:49 PM »
 I owned one in a lazermark. Never did get to shoot it. Damn thing wouldn't feed a round from the magazine into the chamber. Two trips back to Weatherby and it still didn't work. >:( Traded it for a Browning 7mm 08. Had a Vanguard in 22-250. That shot patterns not groups. Dealer sent it back to Weatherby. It came back with a note saying nothing wrong with the rifle. If i was looking for a target rifle that is what i should have bought. :o . Traded that for a Ruger 22-250. Of the 4 or 5 Weatherby rifles i have owned the only one i now have is a Vanguard in 270 Win. Have to admit that thing is instant death. Never let me down. Can you tell i am not a big fan of Weatherby?

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 01:31:59 AM »
im not either bobog. Only one i have left is a vagurard in 300wby. Ive allways wanted to try a 240 though and a guy could get into a vanguard fairly reasonably. I see weatherby has listed the chambeing in the vangurard but ive only seen one for sale on gun broker and none anywhere else. It makes me wonder if there having teething pains with them.
blue lives matter

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 09:50:04 AM »
Sweet, how big do your whitetails average in weight? Our mule deer average about 150# to 225#. Biggest I've shot was right at 200# on the hoof, young deer. I've "seen" a few that had to be close to 300#, but they were alot smarter and slicker than I was, ha.

I only use NP's in 6mm for hunting....so, if i saw a 250-300 pound deer at any reasonable range, i wouldn't worry one about putting one of the NP's from my 240 in the rib cage and i know that deer wouldn't go far. 

DM

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 05:03:13 AM »
Lloyd, You have a 257 weatherby, The only advantage the 240 has over a 257 is in the weatherby ultralite rifle it's a pound lighter.. In the Howa, I can see no advantage.  ;)

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 06:24:36 AM »
Ive got lots of guns. Never needed much of an excuse to try a new one. ;D thing is im not about to pay over a grand for a markV. Personaly i dont care for weatherbys stock design so a vangurad bought cheaper, toss the stock, toss the trigger and for about 700 i can have what I want. Heck if i was real smart id just find an action but guys want as much for an action as you can buy the whole gun and at least get a barrel to try. Ive had 3 mark Vs through my life and its seemed like every time a trade came up they were the first to go and i dont miss them a bit.
Lloyd, You have a 257 weatherby, The only advantage the 240 has over a 257 is in the weatherby ultralite rifle it's a pound lighter.. In the Howa, I can see no advantage.  ;)

Regards,
blue lives matter

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 07:45:15 AM »
  I figured out long ago, if i was going to try out a lot of different cartridges, i just bought up a bunch of Douglas prem. bbls, and had WC Strutz in Wi. put them all on one 700 Rem. action.  I just spun one bbl off and another one on, to get new cartridges for testing.

A "good" trigger EVERY time, and a couple different stocks for different things, and i had the exact gun any time i wanted when ever i wanted.

It worked out perfectly, and i still have that action, but i've sold off most of the unneeded bbls...  Nothing like a good shooting quick change bbl. 700 Rem...

In the end, for the few cartridges i really liked and worked best, i just made up a complete rifles for those and i still have them. 

DM

Offline saltydog

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 01:36:21 PM »
Nice cartridge - no real downsides. However not that much advantage over a 243 Win for me and I stuck with the 257 Weatherby. If you want one go for it.

Offline RevJim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 03:46:06 AM »
 The only Weatherby factory rifle I ever liked, was the first .240W I ever had ( which I gave to my Pastor later) It was one of the first Ultralight Accumark. I had just came into some cash, and I sprung for the ridiculous price. I still had to have a trigger job on it, and a dab of bedding/floating done. However, it shot like a house afire! I killed exactly one coyote with it, but it was flat shooting. My next foray was the 6mm/284 on a Mod 7 action, and later I had this Mod 700 built. I just like Mod 700/721 actions better than the Weatherby (Howa) actions is all.

Offline Savage_99

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2012, 05:02:49 AM »
Perhaps the best way to find a particular gun or chambering is with the internet.

Besides regular checks at Gunbroker and other similar sites use your browser.

Type in:  .240 Weatherby Vanguard for sale.  and other variations.

I see them at "Grab a gun" for $464

Lloyd,

Is that all you want?  A Vanguard!

Take a ride over to the Newington Gun Exchange.  They have lots of used rifles for sale.  What a mob over at Hoffmans yesterday!

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2012, 06:31:53 AM »
 :) 99, If I may ask, where are Hoffman's and the Newington Gun Exchange located????  If it is Mich. we will be spending some time there in late May, and I 'd love to do some gun shoping....thanks

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2012, 10:17:21 AM »
found them on grab a gun. thats a new sight to me. Now all i have to is come up with 500 bucks! Never heard of hoffmans or newtons though. Never seen one in MI.
Perhaps the best way to find a particular gun or chambering is with the internet.

Besides regular checks at Gunbroker and other similar sites use your browser.

Type in:  .240 Weatherby Vanguard for sale.  and other variations.

I see them at "Grab a gun" for $464

Lloyd,

Is that all you want?  A Vanguard!

Take a ride over to the Newington Gun Exchange.  They have lots of used rifles for sale.  What a mob over at Hoffmans yesterday!
blue lives matter

Offline Savage_99

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 04:16:07 PM »