Author Topic: Swift Scope Reviews??  (Read 3581 times)

Offline Rock Home Isle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
Swift Scope Reviews??
« on: December 20, 2011, 04:14:35 AM »
Does anyone have any links to Optics Reviews for the Swift Brand Rifle Scope? I'm looking at getting a Swift Brand Scope, but I'd like to read a few published reviews before I committ cold hard cash.
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
Re: Swift Scope Reviews??
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 11:56:03 AM »
I have one on my model 7 in 6mm a 3-9 x 40 have had 0 problems. it was one that we had at work thats been there for a while. I got it cheap i can see well past legal shooting light. I did use Leupold bases and rings. I may replace it later but for now it works great. It tracks well and holds zero so cant ask for much more beats the heck out of the cheaper bushnells and such.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 01:03:31 PM »
Swift Optics Premier line used to be very good scopes for the money when they were a US owned company building scopes in Korea, dunno where they're made now or if they're as good as they used to be since they were sold, I've had several of the Premiers and one Standard model, the Standard which is now called Reliant was a POS, stick with the Premier and you'll probably be Ok, Premiers still have a lifetime warranty, used to be no questions asked.

Tim

http://www.swift-sportoptics.com/warranty.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Huffmanite

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 04:29:25 PM »
2- 3 years ago, I bought my first of three 6x18x44 Swift Premier scopes.  My particular model had been discontinued, so able to find the next two for a bargain price, considering what others were selling it for.   Nice glass in my Premiers, windage/elevation track well and I've had no problems with my three, which have been on 257R to 30-06 rifles.  Just today read a comment on another gun site concerning Swift scopes which kinda sums up Swift.  "Swift builds an above average scope for a below average price."  Gent at range I shoot, owns a few Swift scopes.   He commonly has a Leupold, Sightron or Weaver quality scope on his custom or more expensive rifles, but he will use a Swift on his lesser value rifles.

Swift Scope/binoculor division did come under new ownership a few years ago....think owner is in Colorado......scopes are made in South Korea.

You might want to check prices of Swift scopes at:    www.thesportsmonkey.com

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 08:11:52 AM »

Can only offer a little insight, but maybe it will be of some help.

I agree with Tim on the "old" Premier series - excellent scopes.   A friend was relentlessly harassing me to try a Swift Premier out instead of just buying the Leupold, Nikon UCC Mornarch and Weaver target scopes I always bought for my rifles.   So I bought 2, mostly just to shut him up, 9 years ago.   Both were 4-12's, one silver and one black for a total of $230 at the time.  Put the silver on a customized Marlin 17VS I had recently bought "just to try the rifle out until I decided on and bought a better scope for it".   It worked so well on that rifle that it still resides on it.   Made it excellent for jump shooting, for the night ADC I did for landowners and didn't give up much in the long range digger fields to my other Hummers.   The black one got used on a few of my TC Contender carbines (17M4, 17 Rem, 222 rem and 6X47), and never missed a beat.   Only sold it recently because I had sold all of the carbine barrels.

Don't remember hearing anything bad on the gun boards about the old Premiers back before or soon after I bought my two... have noticed since that their newer scopes are either a love or hate relationship with folks, so they may not be as good as they once were.   But it might also be that I simply didn't pay much attention to comments about Swift until I bought mine either, so how much water that holds is just speculation.   

The plus side, like when I finally gave in and bought my two, is you won't be out much dollar wise if you do buy one and don't like it.

HTH

The Marlin 17VS and Swift Premier 4-12...
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline 31 bertram

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 09:12:43 PM »
I used to have great luck with the older (Swift Instruments) Swifts, "over the counter warrenty" and great folks.  About 7 yrs. ago I ordered a 4x12x40 AO Premire and it died after about 8 shots and first trip to the range, so I boxed it up along with the targets in which I switched the scopes proving that something was definatley wrong with the scope.
I sent the scope to the Dorchester, Mass. address on the instruction papers, and after about 3 or 4 weeks the scope returned to me with a note from postal service saying there was no such address.
So I called the mail order place where I got the scope from and they said that Swift had changed ownership and gave me the new phone number.  After countless calls to the new owners and one whole hunting season wasted and finally giving the scope away, I would run SWIFTLY away from them.   This is not the Swift company of old (Swift Instruments).
No more Swifts for me. :(   

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 04:49:13 AM »
So I broke down and bought 3 Swift Scopes...they are the 4.5 x 12 x 44mm with the Mil-Dot reticle. I'll let you know how they do when I get them mounted on  guns and sighted in.

Thank you for the replies. very nice.  8)
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 03:50:22 PM »
Why did you decide on a Swift Scope, then ask us for our opinion?   Maybe you should reverse your procudure to ask first and decide later.  Just my two cents worth.  Was it the scope, the ad, the price, the warranty, the country of origion, or their reputation?

Charles

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 04:55:01 PM »
Why did you decide on a Swift Scope, then ask us for our opinion?   Maybe you should reverse your procudure to ask first and decide later.  Just my two cents worth.  Was it the scope, the ad, the price, the warranty, the country of origion, or their reputation?

Charles

I came across the Swift Brand Scope around the beginning of December, and it intrigued me. I researched the product for a few days before I posted to Graybeard to ask for the opinions of others on this product line. And I'm not one to just sit on my laurels and wait for others to spoon-feed me.

I didn't just decide on Swift and then post it to this forum...That doesn't even make any sense, and would be a waiste of your time and mine. What I did do was contune my research of the Swift Product Line and took in the opinions of the few people that posted to this thread.

I appreciate the opinions of those that toook the time to post. And the PMs that a few sent me were greatly appreciated and helped to guide me to the information that I needed. Thank you all very much.

After researching the Swift Product Line for the last 20+ days, I felt that the product was worth an investment of 3 scopes. I'll test each scope on a different calibre (.223 Remington, .308 Winchester & .300 WSM). That should give me a wide enough recoil base to determine durability of the scopes; and should one scope prove to be truly outstanding that would be awesome. Over all the years that I have been shooting center-fire...accurate rifles are fairly easy to come-by or even to build (Wholly Cow!! I have had many)...but an accurate & reliable scope, that's a keeper. In any event I'll ask for ideas and guidance as to the best way to proceed and post the results of my range findings.

If I find the product lacking I'll contact the company and go through their customer service to remidy the situation, and I'll post those results. If I order 3 scopes and get 3 duds....I'd say that that is a true warning about this company and its products; so, learn from my findings...not a bad proposition in my opinion.

Or do you think otherwise?

Offline 31 bertram

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 05:37:49 PM »
hmmmmm ??? 

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 04:25:51 PM »
I found a local store that carries a nice selection of Swift Scopes. Unfortunately they did not have in stock the Swift scope that I wanted...and since I'm planning to get 3 of them, I'd like to get a cut in the price that they list for at this store.

The manager is still gone on Christmas Vacation...I'll have to wait till Thursday to see what I can swing on the Swift scopes.

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 09:39:10 AM »
Well I got my 3 scopes today. Turns out that the Manager and I went to High School together and were on the wrestling team...Small World.  8)

I'll get the scopes mounted on the rifles tomorrow or Saturday...Tonight I'm taking my wife out to dinner and then we're going to the UNC Girls Basket Ball Game. We play Black Hills University...Should be a good game.

Offline one eye joe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 07:44:39 AM »
I have run the 4.5-14 on a .25-06 and a 6.5x55. Not big kickers, but have had zero problems. Optics are very crisp. I think you will like them, and I will be waiting to see how they work with the .300.

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 01:42:49 PM »
I have run the 4.5-14 on a .25-06 and a 6.5x55. Not big kickers, but have had zero problems. Optics are very crisp. I think you will like them, and I will be waiting to see how they work with the .300.

I'm a little excited to see how the scopes perform. The .300 WSM is the one that I'm worried about, I've heard from a few sources about the potential for the zero to drift. But I heard that the company had addressed that issue as well.

I got the scopes early yesterday. I am very happy with how they look mounted on my Remington M700 .308, and my Winchester M70 Coyote .300 WSM. But I think the scope looks a little much on the Winchester M70 Extra Grade .223.

I'll post some pictures...you be the judge.

Offline mspaci

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 05:44:17 AM »
nothing but good things to say about the 2x7x40 premier on mt Knight.  Mike

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 08:03:55 AM »
Finally...I'm home so that I can finish setting up the rifles that I'll be working with...

Offline Huffmanite

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 10:54:46 AM »
Wondered what was happening.  Looking forward to your comments on the Swift.

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 12:18:39 PM »
Beautiful day today, high of about 67 degrees and no wind. I loaded up the first gun that I want to test with the Swift Scope, my Winchester M70 in .223 Remington...On the way out the range I promtly got stuck in boggy slick mucky mud...it was a mess. But after a few hours we finally got out.

Long story short...no shooting today...The drainage in the field all hits this one stretch of about 100 yards of road, and with winter it just takes so laong for it to dry out and be accessable.  Looks like its going to be a while longer before I can get out to the range. DANG.  :o

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 12:30:34 PM »
I mounted the Swift scope on the .223 and found that the Power adjustment ring contacted the scope mount and locked up the scope. I had to grind off  that back of the base and touch it up with some cold blueing compound.

This was a bit of a surprise to me.

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 12:34:21 PM »
When mounting my scopes I've found the most amazing tool to use for aligning the crosshairs of a scope with the bore of the rifle. Its a set of levels made by  Wheeler Engineering, and it has made scope mounting so smooth and easy.

The lower level goes across the Reciever and the upper level gose across the flats of the scope adjustment dials. Such a slick little device.

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 12:40:29 PM »
Here's a quick photo I snapped of the scope on the M70...with the SunShade installed the scope just looks huge on this fine little rifle. After I've finished my test with the scope on this gun, I'll most likely remove it to another rifle where it will look a little closer to Normal.

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2012, 12:44:45 PM »
Here's another view of the M70...this has been such a sweet shooting little gun for me.

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 06:19:35 AM »
This is just killing me.  :o

Last weekend I could not get out to shoot at the range due to the muddy comditions. So I thought that I'd give it another week and I should be able to get out to the range and begin my shooting and testing the Swift Scopes that I have bought. Well we're now in a severe storm warning and we're looking at accumulations of 10 inces to 18 inches of snow in my area...

Dang...All I need is one good solid day at the range and I can at least get the .223 sighted in and run that Swist Scope through its paces. Give me three good days and I'l be able to finish the work using the scope on a .308 and a .300 WSM...

I so want to get this study started...then completed and posted for you all to look at.  >:(

Offline jonah50

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2012, 08:04:39 AM »
Hi folks im new here so bare with me.  In relation to the swift scopes.  I purchased an srp model in 6-24x50.  Hell it look smart and had the usual whistles.  I was shooting a 25-06 hawkeye medium contour barrell.  shooting from the bench no doubt it performed well! Now here's the practical side.  Last year here in europ it sure was sub zero tempretures.  Whilst lying out in the frosty morning for about 15minutes give n take, i spotted a young red female calf in the brush.  But as a looked throug my swift the lense become misty or sort off whitesh colour and i just could not take the shot at 200yds! it was minus eight degrees celcius to be precise. Now for the second part. During a few stalks lying down, less than a hundred yds i was getting some bad shots at red deer. So every time i would go back to the bench or go into a field and re-inact the whole event at a target and bingo! my scope was always shifting zero!  I tested the scope on my concrete bench using different methods of bumping the scope along its side and around the moving parts but it did not shift zero. However when i tested the zoom ring out to 700yds i did detect slight shift from 6-24power, however if i powered up from 6x to 12 there was no difference that the human eye could detect! so i'd stay below the 13x always! Then i heard from my hunting buddy who said that his friend had just sold one as it was also giving him bother also.  But perhaps it was just a bad batch i don't know. It cost me 500euro four years ago but i think they have come down dramatically in price. Yes i did see in black print under the zoom ring.  KOREA.  When buying swift i assumed due the the advertising it was made in the USA, sadly i was wrong.  However another buddy of mine has two and would part with them so all i can say is i was unlucky. AND i would never buy a varible power in swift only a fixed power.  I hope i have not confused you more!

Offline 31 bertram

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 06:55:05 PM »
Rock Home Isle....just curious if you got a chance to test your new Swifts?  You've been pretty quiet.

jonah50.... We must have bought ours from the same place, I remember they we labeled (SRP) Super Resoluting Power or somthing like that, identifying them as the new improved Swift.  My findings were similar to yours.   

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2012, 08:55:17 PM »
I have 2 Swift Premier 4-12 AO.  One is on my Beeman R7 .177 pellet rifle and the other on my Winchester (Japan) 52B 22 LR.  I bought them both used. At the time Straight Shooters Precision Pellet Rifles was carrying them and touting them as a good scope for moderate to light recoiling springer pellet rifles.  They used to have a review of them on their site - don't know if they still do as they don't sell them any more.

I have been happy with the 2 scopes on these guns.  The 52B doesn't get out a lot as I don't like to bang it around in the brush. My Marlin 39A gets that duty.

Can't say I've really put the scopes to the test but they work well for the gentle use I put them thru.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA