Author Topic: 10x10 Reloading Room EDIT Pictures  (Read 2413 times)

Offline BKS

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
10x10 Reloading Room EDIT Pictures
« on: December 20, 2011, 02:10:49 PM »
 I have decided to build a room in my garage to reload (Hide from the wife) in>

10'x10'  is about a large as I can make it, and still get cars in the garage.  The exterior wall of the garage is insulated, it is a detached garage and the corner that I am putting the room in has a heat/air window unit in it, other than that it wont be climate controlled. I plan on building the wall on 2x4 with 16" centers and insulating it. I hope to put a heavy duty door on it too.

I have a 2' x 8' x 31" high Oak built in desk set up that was in a room in the house that I can use for a bench top. The top is made of 3/4" plywood and it is finsihed, I can glue another piece of 3/4" plyood to it and it ill make it 1 1/2" with a finshed edge.

I have the option of storing powder, primers, dies etc in the house or in a frig that ain't working....

Any suggestions appreciated.

Below are some pictures from my progress so far. I would REALLY appreciate any comments on suggestions of where to put other benches, etc. This is the built in that I was referring to above.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: 10x10 Reloading Room Help?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 02:15:42 PM »
10'X10' is huge.  Mine is in a double closet.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 02:34:04 PM »
Mines in 3-4 small boxes and done on the kitchen table!  I intend to have a better set-up in a few years, but cannot modify the property we currently rent.  8(  We have used an old refrigerator to store tools in for years.  Just buy a moisture killer of some sort, ie. silica gel packs or an electric like for a safe.  ;)  Small space heater should keep little spot like that pretty toasty if you like it warm too.  If you are going to do any lead pouring, however, you should do it outdoors (probably common sense) or put in some very good ventilation fans too.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 02:39:18 PM »
I would store powder & primers in the house.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 02:53:27 PM »
would prolly put  a dehumidifier in the room and  keep powder/primers  there or in a working older "beer fridge"

Offline wncchester

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 03:12:55 PM »
A huge bench is of less use to most reloaders than a LOT of storage.  You should have enough storage for all components, small tools, tumbler, media, chronograph & tripod, targets, staplers, waste can, gun cleaning supplies/rods, bullet molds, lead, lubrisizer, bore sighters, a small vacuum & broom, etc.   Consider covering the walls with shelving, floor to ceiling. 

Then make your bench an 'island', maybe 2 1/2' x 6', and mount presses, etc, on both sides.  And make more storage shelves under the top. 
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline BKS

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 03:17:50 PM »
   I have SERIOUSLY thought of the handpress (Tacklebury) but figured I would go ahead and just build a room. Till I get it done, I'll be keepin on with the LEE LOADER or a hand press (If I can find a deal on one)

Offline BKS

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 03:19:46 PM »
 I like the island idea, may have to look into that too.

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 03:59:43 PM »
I would agree on the primers , and maybe powder in the house, unless you keep it above freezing in storage. 10X10 is HUGE dude! Shelving is of utmost importance, as storage of components and tools is critical. Those large clear fishing tackle boxes are really good for shell holders, punches , pins, pilots etc. A small loading area is not a minus necessarily, as you can mix components in a large area or become distracted more easily. The desk will work, I would glue MDF over it, then get a piece of 1/4 to 3/8 plate steel about 12x12, or 12x16 or so  and use a template to drill holes for each piece you need to mount, and match holes where possible. You can then use wingnuts to attach and remove different tools in a hurry. My friend went so far as to fasten his tools to small plates that he had welded to 1x1 bar stock and then mount a trailer hitch to his bench so he could just swap them out by pulling a pin. The steel is simply because wood, no matter how hard, can crack or split, steel plate has some flex, and spreads the strain over a large area. 38 sp not much, but a 300 ultra mag......... Also I would recommend you be sure to have counter space on each side of the press, you need to bring work in from your weak side and finished product out to strong side ( or however it works for you, just be consistent). Light is important also, make sure it is adequate.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 05:47:14 PM »
My reloading room is 10x11 and it's far from huge and I wish I had twice that. Mine even comes with a walk-in closet. I have upper cabinets all the way around the room and several file cabinets. My bench is a 3'x7' solid core oak door that is screwed to a steel table frame I got at Graingers. Under the bench at the press I have 2each 2"x2" angle iron lag bolted to the bench for extra support. It's also bolted to the wall. I have 2 steel drawers at the vise that are 3foot deep. The rear is lined with parts bins that are well over full. I installed a single 16" wide shelf on the bottom to hold coffee cans of brass, probably 100,000 pieces. My excess brass is in a storage cabinet. I keep the dies in one of the file cabinets and have them separated as to pistol, bolt rifle, semi auto rifle, and single shot. If you just have the extra coin, I don't look for shell holders anymore. I bought one for every die set and it's in the box. A 10x10 is not near big enough for an island type press as you'll lose a lot of wall space and storage. As you build yer room, make sure to add LOTS of electrical plugs. I have 4 outlets on my bench and it needs 4 more. Make sure to hang more light fixtures than you think you'll need. I have double fluorescent fixtures running both ways and sometimes it's not enough especially at the vise. DO NOT buy cool white bulbs either. Get natural or sunlight bulbs as they provide much more usable light than a cool white. Mine is obviously not the only way to do it but I think you'll be disappointed at the small bench you're going to start with, I'd opt for at least a 3x7 as mine is small for some projects. That will keep you from having to clean the bench for another project while waiting for parts or components to come in. I don't have pics of the walk-in closet but one end I have built a free standing shelf unit from 2x 12 to hold bullets. If building a shelf unit for bullets build it heavy enough for you to stand on or it's not going to work. The storage unit down in the country where I keep loaded ammo has 2x12 shelves with TJI floor trusses every 4 foot and it works pretty good. I scrounged those from a new subdivision and asked if I could go thru their trash pile. You'd be surprised how much good lumber you can pick up like that. Like I say, mine is not the only way but when a newby comes by he generally gets the deer in the headlights look and then the war at his home starts. Make a plan and stick to it. If you're not certain about things fitting, cut paper up into the right sizes and give it a look. A 10x10 gets small quick when you start putting crap in it.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 11:46:25 PM »
Mine

Offline BKS

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 01:32:04 AM »
Swampman, Id much rather have that than going out un garage, just no spare closets in house, 

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 02:00:18 AM »
Mines 17x20 and its to small. Ive got stuff piled on top of stuff and could sure use more room. As to storing powder. I lost my last loading room and the pole barn it was in to a fire caused by my casting pot. I had about 200lbs of powder and probably 4 or 5 cases of primers stored within 20 feet of the pot and from the time i left the pot unatended to the time the barn was flat on the ground was about 35 minutes. I ran to the bank and came back to nothing. My neigbor said that he could actually hear when the powder caught. He said it was a dull roar. Fire got so hot that it MELTED the roof. There was nothing left of it. My new loading room is inside a new barn. Its got 8 inch poured concrete walls and inside is pole barn steel on the walls. If a fire starts in there at least it may be contained long enough for the fire dept to put it out. If this would have been a wood structured home it would have been gone in minutes and theres a good chance anyone in side wouldnt have made it. Keep your powder and primers away from your living area if at all possible!! these pictures are when it was new. Its not near as neat anymore as ive accumuated alot more stuff.
blue lives matter

Offline wncchester

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 06:55:08 AM »
Cold/freezing has meaning for meats and vegatibles, it's irrelivant to the chemicals in powder/primers.

Time and the average temperature is what breaks down chemical mixtures; heat speeds chemical decomposition, cold slows it.

If it were practical, we would do well to store powder/primers in a very cold freezer, then it would last nearly forever!

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 07:20:32 AM »
IMO 70 degrees and low humidity would be best.  That's why all mine are in the house.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 07:32:10 AM »
 I have stored both powder and primers in my unconditioned shead for over 25 years . I have never had a problem. Most powder containers are air tite when closed and primers unless exposed to water or oils or such seem to be fine. I do suggest locating primers and powder as far apart as pratical. I have some powder that was purchaced over 30 years ago that I still use from time to time. Consider that most shooting supplies and ammo are shipped in trucks , some bake in the sun others freeze in the ice and snow. Humidity can run from pouring rain to desert dry. Worry more about a wood stock.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline BKS

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 08:58:49 AM »
 One of my biggest concerns is my press,dies, etc rusting. The corner has a combination heat/ac window unit that will cool and heat the 30x30 garage to any comfortable temp you want, winter or summer so I know it will be enough for the 10x10, maybe too much.

Right now I have a Rockchucker, and several shotgun presses but hope to add more in the future,

Please keep any suggestons coming ALL are appreciated.   

Offline Czech_too

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 12:16:01 AM »
Adequate shelving, that and lighting.  Getting as much off of the floor/bench and onto the shelves makes it that much easier to find what you're looking for and not tripping over it.  Would it be feasible to put in a window?  I prefer glass block w/vent for the natural lighting, beats having to turn on a light every time you go in there.  Oh, and electrical outlets.  Between the radio, tumbler, aux. lighting and who knows what else, you can run out of outlets real fast.
NRA Life Member
Cruffler
INOA

genealogy, another area of interest

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 12:57:10 AM »
One of my biggest concerns is my press,dies, etc rusting. The corner has a combination heat/ac window unit that will cool and heat the 30x30 garage to any comfortable temp you want, winter or summer so I know it will be enough for the 10x10, maybe too much.

Right now I have a Rockchucker, and several shotgun presses but hope to add more in the future,

Please keep any suggestons coming ALL are appreciated.

I had to deal with that. when covered or kept in the cases or in a cabnet ( plastic one with a bunch of drawers in clear plastic) I have not had anymore trouble. The press is covered with a cloth or plastic press cover . A plastic bag would work fine.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 06:31:48 AM »
If im not going to use something for a while ill put a coat of 556 or kroil on it before i put it away.
blue lives matter

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 07:11:17 AM »
Sounds like you have a good plan and have gotten excellent advice so far

I agree that adaquite lighting is manditory! Get a good fixture directly over each bench then more for the room. Also plenty of electrical plugs too! I have two 4 gang boxes on mine one at each end on the bench and find it sufficient.

Metal cabinets I have picked up all g the way for brass and components. A closet is also very nice. I made up shelves from 2x8 for my lead bullets. They quickly out class ANYTHING you buy. Especially when you get a couple dozen boxes of 2-600 pcs each!

I found that baby wipe boxes work great for small quantities of brass storage. Plastic pretzel "barrels" work well for larger quantities and 5 gal pails for my big stuffiness range 9mm, 308 and 30/06.

I also like a seperate smaller bench just for gun cleaning or gunsmithing. I mounted a Midway gun vice to mine. Beneath I have a cabinet for tools and solvents. Nice and conveint.

My room is about 12x12 and I will be expanding it this winter. I have it in the corner of my basement, locking door and casement two windows. With the expansion I'll have one complete end of the basement!!  MORE than doubling its size to 26x12. ( Still not completely decided) Momma may want some space too. Admittedly I am into this quite a bit more than the average loader.

For powder storage a old working fridge is a excellent choice! It offers constant climate moisture control and somewhat fire proof!! KEEP PRIMERS SEPEPERATE!

Good luck and post pics!!
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline BKS

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2011, 03:49:41 PM »
1st wall is up,  ;D 

You probably would want me doing finish carpentry in a home, but I think I did ok, its level and straight as I can tell.

Wound up a lil wider than 10 due to placing wall on a stud center. Oh well, momma's car will still fit in the garage on that side..  :D

Offline smokehouserex

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 04:50:52 PM »

Hello BKS:
  It sounds like you have a good plan going. I bought a 12x24 Bldg. a few years ago, wired and insulated it and put in panelling, thin stuff and used the rough side for a rustic look. I put a electrical breaker box so I would have a few  220v 30amp breakers for the lathe and milling mach, welders and air comp.
  Figure how many 110 outlets you may need and increase by 1/3 and you should be fine as someone already suggested, also overhead flor. lighting is a must as also suggested.
  I would suggest wall shelves, make some out of 1" thick wood for heavy loads, cannot have too many. Also draw everything out to scale before construction, then complete it before moving equipment in it will save a lot of changing around and also you can utilize your space more effectively, as we never have enough space. Also as suggested a centerline work bench/table whatever. A old freezer/fridge is the easiest way to store powder and primers NOT TOGETHER tho.
  I started loading in 1970 and did it on a wooden chest with a lid, sitting in the floor,  put the rock chucker on one end and kept all my equipment in the chest, loaded thousands of rounds with it and I enjoyed every min. of it til I stuck a case and had no stuck case remover.LOL  Next trip to Gradys and I had one.  I also had a 8x28 trailer that I used for many years til I moved into town.
  I don't think I have given any new ideas but I hope they are useful for you.
  Also another good idea is make sure you have an appropiate fire extinguisher for the shop.
  safety first
  HM

Offline smokehouserex

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2011, 04:57:57 PM »

Hello cw:
  I was not aware that it was a good idea to keep the powder in a running refridg.
  What temp do you set it on?  thanks
  HM

Offline BKS

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2011, 06:10:43 PM »
 Thanks for all the replies. I hope to frame up the other wall and start sheathing it soon. Want to at least start the bench(s) before the second wall goes up.

Once I take some of the cabinets that are just up on the wall down(Will be reused) I am gonna try to figure out if I want benches all the way around the room or just along certain walls.

I anticipate hiding out in there after I get it done so I may need to leave room for a few creature comforts,   

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2011, 08:27:42 PM »
Hi BKS
my gun room/ reloading room/ knife building room/ gunsmithing room/ ...

is 12 x 14 and is an absolute mess!!  I spend more time straightening it up after a project than using it as intended  ::) ???  well anyway yes storage is a top priority.  Humidity can be controlled with a 100 watt light bulb, and an air conditioner, or a simple refrigerator.  I have 14 feet of shelving (x4 shelfs high) and could make use of twice that.  A 10 x 10 area is twice what I had when I started reloading. 

Since this is detatched you may want to consider some security measures as well.  I'll leave the details to you, but if you live in a neighborhood it is a consideration.

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline wncchester

Re: 10x10 Reloading Room EDIT Pictures
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2011, 08:47:31 AM »
"... some pictures from my progress so far. I would REALLY appreciate any comments..."

You are really going to like walls of OSB rather than dry wall.  You can hang anything you wish where ever you wish with that.

You gonna need more light.  I wouldn't settle for less than two sets of four 4' flourescent tube fixtures in a room that size and would prefer three.  And every surface would be painted with an exterior grade of semi-gloss white for durability and maximum light scatter into shaded places! 

If you have reachable/workable connections for water and a drain line, install a small hand washing sink somewhere; it will be a great asset.

Have a place for your trash can and a broom for clean up time.  Maybe an apartment type under-counter refrigerator, a paper towel roll holder, a decent coffee pot and a radio, plus a PC link for the internet.  A wireless intercom to the kitchen would make it easy for momma to call you when dinner is ready.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2011, 12:26:01 PM »

Hello cw:
  I was not aware that it was a good idea to keep the powder in a running refridg.
  What temp do you set it on?  thanks
  HM

My "beer" fridge has held my black powder for over twenty years! Always goes bang and knock on wood only when I wanted it to!!

Its fire safe, that was my biggest consern as black powder explodes while smokless just flashes.  :-[  Personally, I keep my smokless is fire cabinets designed for this use...

CW

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline BKS

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2011, 02:42:51 PM »
 I happen to have a friend that is going to help me move the two lights that have to be moved for the walls and we will add another. The wiring is way outta my league

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2011, 04:05:44 PM »
I'm using a 4x8 bench with storage underneath against a wall.  I store powder, brass, bullets etc in 4 floor to ceiling cabinets.  I use 3lb coffee cans for the brass that I'm currently using, one for dirty, one for clean.  I like them cause they stack and have covers. I use removable presses as well.  I have a Dillon mounted on a plate and screw it on and off as I need it.  I mostly use an old single stage press for most hunting rifle loading.  I set up the multi on the winter and then load about all the pistol brass I have available.  My 16x26 man cave has been converted to an almost full trophy room....momma said that I shoulda put the loading stuff in there, but I have a lotta taxidermy......
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!