Author Topic: What does the whitehouse Christmas tree celebrate?? Jesus?? Or obama.  (Read 1581 times)

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
Capitol Christmas Tree Celebrates Obama not Baby Jesus?

December 20, 2011
The 63-foot Sierra White Fir lighted at the U.S. Capitol Grounds on Dec. 6 as the official 2011 Capitol Christmas Tree includes a prominently displayed ornament paying homage to President Barack Obama, but includes no ornament readily visible to a person standing near the tree’s base that uses the word “Christmas,” or includes an image of the Nativity, or bears the name or image of Jesus Christ.
On the north side of the tree–at a height of about 4 feet and easily visible to people standing near it—there is an ornament that says: “I ♥ President Obama.”
Photo by: CNSNews.com/Terence P. Jeffrey

When asked whether the tree included any ornaments that mention or depict Christmas or the birth of Jesus, the office of the Architect of the Capitol, which is responsible for the tree, told CNSNews.com that it “does not have a policy nor any restrictions concerning the themes for the ornaments” that go on the tree. The office could not say, however, whether or not this year’s Christmas tree does in fact include even a single ornament that directly references or depicts Christmas or Christ.
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline crustylicious

• A Real Regular
  • Reading is fundamental, comprehension optional!
Re: What does the whitehouse Christmas tree celebrate?? Jesus?? Or obama.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 05:18:16 PM »
The War On Christmas Continues: Right Wing Media Freak Out Over Capitol Christmas Tree Ornament
With Christmas less than a week away, the right-wing media have stepped up their "War on Christmas" outrage, complaining that the Capitol Christmas Tree includes "no Jesus ornaments" but does have an ornament made by a child reading "I love President Obama." The right-wing media has previously accused Obama of waging a war on Christmas and Christianity in general.
The tree in question isn't the official tree, of course. That tree, The National Christmas Tree, is located on the Ellipse between the White House and Constitution Avenue. Obama not only attended the tree lighting for the National Christmas Tree, but he and his family lit the tree themselves. In his remarks at the tree lighting ceremony, Obama greeted the public by saying: "Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas!" Obama further commemorated the event with the following remarks:
For 89 years, Presidents and Americans have come together to light the National Christmas Tree.  And this year is a special one.  This year, we have a brand new tree.  The last one stood here for more than 30 years -- until we lost it in a storm earlier this year.  But we all know that this tradition is much larger than any single tree.  And tonight, once again, we gather here not simply to light some decorations, but to honor a story that lights the world.
More than 2,000 years ago, a child was born to two faithful travelers who could find rest only in a stable, among the cattle and the sheep.  But this was not just any child.  Christ's birth made the angels rejoice and attracted shepherds and kings from afar.  He was a manifestation of God's love for us.  And He grew up to become a leader with a servant's heart who taught us a message as simple as it is powerful:  that we should love God, and love our neighbor as ourselves. 
That teaching has come to encircle the globe.  It has endured for generations.  And today, it lies at the heart of my Christian faith and that of millions of Americans.  No matter who we are, or where we come from, or how we worship, it's a message that can unite all of us on this holiday season. 
CNS News was the first to manufacture the outrage (puffy the second  ;) ). In a December 19
post titled "U.S. Capitol Christmas Tree Pays Homage To Obama--But Not Jesus," the article complained: >[T]he official 2011 Capitol Christmas Tree includes a prominently displayed ornament paying homage to President Barack Obama, but includes no ornament readily visible to a person standing near the tree's base that uses the word "Christmas," or includes an image of the Nativity, or bears the name or image of Jesus Christ.  The story was quickly picked up by several right-wing media outlets. Glenn Beck's website The Blaze posted a portion of the CNS News article under the headline  "No Jesus Ornaments On The 'Capitol Christmas Tree' - But It Does Celebrate Obama!" while the Drudge Report linked to the CNS News post with the headline "US Capitol Christmas Tree Honors Obama, Not Jesus Or Christmas."
Manufactured controversy over Christmas ornaments is hardly anything new to the right-wing media. Last year, Andrew Breitbart followed by Fox News and others struck up outrage over ornaments that were made by local community groups that depicted an Andy Warhol painting of Mao, Obama's head on Mount Rushmore, and celebrity drag queen Hedda Lettuce.
But the Capitol Christmas Tree is, of course, not Obama's. It stands outside the Capitol, and is decorated by the Architect of the Capitol staff with ornaments created by Americans. This year both the tree and the ornaments came from California and the ornament in question was one of 3,000 that were hung on the tree.
The National Christmas tree, by comparison, stands at the ellipse, the area between the White House and the National Mall, and is surrounded by, amongst other things, a depiction of Santa's workshop and a nativity scene. If the conservative media critics of this particular child's Christmas tree ornament had bothered to visit the actual National Christmas tree on the Ellipse, here is what they would have found:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201112200010
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and the wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell
"The speaking in perpetual hyperbole is comely in nothing but love" Francis Bacon, Sr.
Voting is like driving a car- choose (D) to go forward- choose (R) to go backwards!
When all think alike, no one thinks very much. Albert Einstein

Offline briarpatch

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 07:49:51 PM »
If the clown is around it, it depicts an election year.

Offline DDZ

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 11:48:51 PM »
Funny how Obama changes his claimed faith from Muslim to Christian whenever he sees a need for votes from Christians.
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 02:55:39 AM »
What does the whitehouse Christmas tree celebrate?? Jesus?? Or obama.

That White House Christmas tree celebrates Christmas. As Crusty points out, this isn't the tree in the picture at top of this thread.

Funny how Obama changes his claimed faith from Muslim to Christian whenever he sees a need for votes from Christians.
It would be funny and pointed, a fine example of shameless political pandering, except for the fact that it is not true, which makes it a lie. We've all seen the accusation - repeatedly - that President Obama is a Muzzie, but it usually comes from the dingbat ideologues that still haven't accepted a black man as president, and so it easily dismissed.
Here's something... some of these folks actually claim to be Christians, as they lie and distort in service of political ideology. Downright shameful, that is.

Crusty did a fine job of calling BS on this bogus story.
BRAVO ZULU, Crusty!
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline magooch

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 03:46:26 AM »
Hey, anything that gets under the skin of hypocritical libs.  Go for it.
Swingem

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 03:59:39 AM »
Hey, anything that gets under the skin of hypocritical libs.  Go for it.
That does pass for truth in some quarters. By who are these libs, and what exactly is the hypocrisy you refer to?
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline powderman

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 04:13:42 AM »

YEP. He stated that America is a muslim nation, now he says we are a Christian nation?? Maybe he isn't muslim, but he certainly isn't a Christian. POWDERMAN.  :o :o
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 04:17:25 AM »

YEP. He stated that America is a muslim nation
Well, he'd be wrong on that... if he ever made such a proclamation. I was unaware that the Prez had had stated that the US is a.... Muslim nation. When did he do this?
now he says we are a Christian nation??
He'd be wrong on that, too - we're a secular nation, with a bunch of Christians (and many others) in it.
Maybe he isn't muslim, but he certainly isn't a Christian. POWDERMAN.  :o :o
1. If he isn't a Muslim, then he isn't an iman, either - right?
2. How do you suss out who is a Christian, and who is not?

Offline magooch

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 04:22:54 AM »
Hypocritical, as in the Dumycrat liberals didn't accuse President Bush of every misstep in the book and a heck of a lot of stuff that was totally made up?  Having a little fun at Obama's expense for decorating a Christmas tree with a piece of aggrandizing "art work" ... who really cares?
Swingem

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 04:30:27 AM »
...but it usually comes from the dingbat ideologues that still haven't accepted a black man as president, and so it easily dismissed.

When in doubt insult one group and then slap the race card down on the table. This line invalidates your entire post as far as I am concerned.

When will liberals learn that the race card really doesnt work well anymore?
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 04:56:05 AM »
...but it usually comes from the dingbat ideologues that still haven't accepted a black man as president, and so it easily dismissed.

When in doubt insult one group and then slap the race card down on the table. This line invalidates your entire post as far as I am concerned.
No insult, Lakota, just keen observation. What I wrote in my post - and I stand by it - has the important advantage of being true.

And I still think that capitol Christmas tree - the one with the bauble w/Obama's name on it, and not the nat'l tree as implied in OT post? - it's about Christmas, and not the President. What do you think?

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 05:34:13 AM »
I think you're both wrong.

Race was injected into this as a means of slandering those you don't agree with, and you either know that, or you're not as smart as I thought.

But...

Crusty is right.  In my opinion, if you want people to take your thoughts seriously, you need to make an effort at making them, well, honest.  Not as in, "I honestly thought..." but as in intellectually honest.  The first post wasn't.  The posts that seem to think it's OK to lie or manipulate as long as it's in furtherence of your goal also aren't.  If your goal can't stand on it's own honest points, you've got the wrong goal.

And, why do people continue to believe that past behavior is a defense for current behavior?  That the other guy/party/team/whatever did the same thing DOES NOT EXCUSE a current mistake.

Offline lakota

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 05:57:19 AM »

No insult, Lakota, just keen observation. What I wrote in my post - and I stand by it - has the important advantage of being true.

You seem to have granted yourself absolute moral authority pertaining to matters of race so there is no point in arguing with you.

Race was injected into this as a means of slandering those you don't agree with, and you either know that, or you're not as smart as I thought.

I am sorry I don't meet your high intellectual standards but there is a slight minority of posters here who's knee jerk reaction to any disagreement or criticism of Obama is to cry racist or some variation of such. Sometimes their accusations are true. Most of the time they are not.

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 06:01:18 AM »
I am sorry I don't meet your high intellectual standards but there is a slight minority of posters here who's knee jerk reaction to any disagreement or criticism of Obama is to cry racist or some variation of such. Sometimes their accusations are true. Most of the time they are not.
Did you inject race into this discussion or did Yellowtail?  Because that part was directed at him, not you. 

Even re-reading it I still think that is clear.

Now the second part...

Offline lakota

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 06:03:35 AM »
P.S. I dont care about the ornament or the tree. I couldnt care less if that tree said OBAMA from top to base. Currently my christmas tree has ornaments with my name my wife's name and an ornament for each of the dogs in my avatar-Apache and Lakota.

Offline powderman

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 06:27:32 AM »

YEP, nothing to do with race. I posted a the article as I found it. POWDERMAN.  :o :o

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 08:56:35 AM »
Race was injected into this as a means of slandering those you don't agree with

It's not slandering, it's smoking out the motivations of a few ideologues. Oh, maybe a little slandering.. but more than a little right. It's one (very plausible) explanation for the absolute nuttiness of the accusations against Obama.
and you either know that, or you're not as smart as I thought.

can't speak for you, but I'm not as smart as I used to think I was.
BUT SINCE you're critiquing me, dukkiller... to what do you attribute the zanier criticisms of Obama? 
And, why do people continue to believe that past behavior is a defense for current behavior?  That the other guy/party/team/whatever did the same thing DOES NOT EXCUSE a current mistake.
I have an observation & confession on this. During the Bush years - esp. during 2005-2007 - I was appalled at the nastiness of the Left. I attributed it to innate immorality of their politics. But a few years have passed... I've seen some things, re-examined some assumptions... and now I see the same kind of nastiness - worse, oftentimes - coming form the Right. I was wrong; no moral superiority on the political right. Just as nasty and disingenuous as ideologues on the left, with the additional irritant that many of them think they've got God on their side, and so are immune to reason.

Lakota - we've not really discussed race in this thread; doesn't fit. But if you'll start a thread on race, I'll chime in, and then you can see where I'll come down. It'll be some variation of Jesus' Golden Rule.

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 09:09:33 AM »
He may be a Muzzie or a Christian.  He is a politician which makes him a liar.  Heard today that two people in his administration told someone in the Canadian government that we would build the pipeline to Texas and buy their oil, just give them some time.  So they are playing politics and holding back thousands of jobs.  The Republicans want a 1 year extention of the tax cuts, Obama just wants 2 months.  Republicans don't want it coming up again as a political football before the fall elections.  Obama want's to use it another time in two months to play politics with it.  I think the house should go ahead and play the game and pass the senate bill, at least the pipeline can get started.  Then let the tax cuts expire, and blame Obama for raising your taxes. 

Offline lakota

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 09:23:14 AM »

Lakota - we've not really discussed race in this thread; doesn't fit...

. We've all seen the accusation - repeatedly - that President Obama is a Muzzie, but it usually comes from the dingbat ideologues that still haven't accepted a black man as president, and so it easily dismissed.

Offline DDZ

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 12:18:57 PM »
yellowtail, I could care less what color Obama is, why are you trying to make it a race issue. I think you know its not a race issue, but its just fun to bring that up right? It kind of fits with all the Obama supporters. Just claim Obama is disliked because he's black, and his opposers can't get past that fact. I think its a pretty lame excuse.
As far as Obama having a Muslim faith being a lie. I think there is enough evidence that I and many others think his faith is Muslim.
 If his Muslim faith is so easily dismissed as you claim, do you have proof that his faith isn't Muslim? What I see in the video certainly hints that he is a Muslim with Muslim faith. Maybe you have something else that will change our minds.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCAffMSWSzY&feature=related
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2011, 12:39:48 PM »
yellowtail, I could care less what color Obama is, why are you trying to make it a race issue.
I'm not.
I think you know its not a race issue, but its just fun to bring that up right?
No... it's one explanation for the Obama Derangement Syndrome we see in some parts (that's the right wing version of Bush Derangement Syndrome we saw back in 2004-2007).
It kind of fits with all the Obama supporters.
You'd have to ask them; I didn't vote for him last time, and I'm supporting Ron Paul this time.
As far as Obama having a Muslim faith being a lie. I think there is enough evidence that I and many others think his faith is Muslim.
Well, President Obama claims to be a Christian (an actual Christian, not just a non-Muslim). He went to a church for quite a few years. Was he also a member of some mosque?
If his Muslim faith is so easily dismissed as you claim, do you have proof that his faith isn't Muslim?
Ah... is that the new standard? "Are you now, or have you ever been... a Muslim, sir? Answer the question!"
Maybe we can have an inquisition; lots of 'Christians will line up to lead it, whaddya think?

DDZ - I checked out the video you linked. It is one of those deals where you grab a snippet of a talk, out of context, in order to build a case... but that's the idea, I understand. Let me take the opportunity to say, I don't think the authors are racists... I think they're disingenuous ideologues, and liars. Low-life scum, too.

OH MY GOD - I just listened to that vid - Pres talks about contributions of Islamic culture! What more proof do we need? Crucify him!

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2011, 01:20:26 PM »

OH MY GOD - I just listened to that vid - Pres talks about contributions of Islamic culture! What more proof do we need? Crucify him!

NOW YER TALKIN"!!!!!!!!! ;)
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline DDZ

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2011, 01:53:32 PM »
We've all seen the accusation - repeatedly - that President Obama is a Muzzie, but it usually comes from the dingbat ideologues that still haven't accepted a black man as president, and so it easily dismissed.

Crusty did a fine job of calling BS on this bogus story.
BRAVO ZULU, Crusty!

Oh... I thought you meant that some of us think that Obama has a Muslim faith, because we have not accepted him because he's black. If that is not bringing race into it, I guess I just misunderstood you.

Before you replied, I guessed that Obama's talk of the Muslims contributions would be one of the segments you would comment on. You claim all the other stuff was just snippets of talk, like the part where he claimed his Muslim faith, right? How was Obama's comment to Stephanopoulos taken out of context? Was it a slip of the tongue? Maybe, maybe not.  Like I said originally, it seems as though Obama claims his faith to be whatever fits at the time.

That church Obama attended had a Pastor that appeared to hate America and white people. On top of that he condoned homosexuality, and killing babies. Was it really a Christian church? I don't think it was, but God is the only one that knows for sure. I really kind of doubt that listening to Jeremiah Wright for twenty years is a good testimony for being a Christian. 

Offline powderman

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2011, 03:33:30 PM »
That church Obama attended had a Pastor that appeared to hate America and white people. On top of that he condoned homosexuality, and killing babies. Was it really a Christian church?

DDZ, NOPE, Christians don't condone those things.

NOW YER TALKIN"!!!!!!!!! ;)

CUTS CROOKED. Good post, right on the quote. Even a blind squirrel eventually finds a nut. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D

Offline sidewinder319

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2011, 04:48:44 PM »
I think Obama is a Bull Sh&t Salesman with a mouth full of samples. ???   Tax the rich, stall 20,000 jobs until after the next election. And the Democrats want to help the middle class?  So when he iqnores a national holiday people are shocked? Its all about the next election. ::)

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2011, 05:11:38 PM »
So when he iqnores a national holiday people are shocked? Its all about the next election. ::)
What holiday has the president ignored, that shocked folks? Did he dis Confederate Heroes' Day?

Offline sidewinder319

• A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2011, 05:23:30 PM »
You know very well there is no CSA National Holiday. Christmas, he has ignored this holiday more than any President since 1870. ???

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2011, 05:29:26 PM »
You know very well there is no CSA National Holiday. Christmas, he has ignored this holiday more than any President since 1870. ???
National? No... didn't say there was. But I did grow up with Confederate Heroes' Day in January - 19th I think it is, at least in Texas. Sometimes it falls on Martin Luther King day, which means that blacks AND whites throw good BBQ on that day...

I don't know that the Pres ignored Christmas. Has he behaved differently than past presidents, re: Christmas? I d Maybe he is an Undercover Muslim out to subvert all-American Christmas. Or maybe he's not pandering like past presidents who wanted the Religion Vote. Or maybe this is all nothing at all (most likely answer). It's not like he's banned Christmas trees from the white house, or declared War on Christmas. What was this thread about, anyways?

What is the appropriate commemoration of Christmas,  by the President of the United States?

Offline lakota

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2011, 05:09:09 AM »
I thought this thread wasnt about race?