Author Topic: Placed the order today.  (Read 505 times)

Offline jeremybeaner

• Trade Count: (0)
Placed the order today.
« on: December 20, 2011, 06:22:26 PM »
Well took the plunge and made the order today on a new Ultra Hunter .308.  Should be here late this week or early next week, and I gotta say...I cant wait.  it was priced a little high but i think it was worth it.  I believe im going to mount a bushnell Trophy XLT on it or a nikon prostaff.  other than cleaning the barrel before i shoot it, should i do any other preperation work on the gun before i sight it in?  Thanks alot guys.

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Placed the order today.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 06:27:47 PM »
 Beautiful rifle, good luck with it, hope it shoots well for you.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 01:12:09 AM »
After you get the factory gunk out of it just shoot it.  Most of mine got better with more rounds through them and they liked to be somewhat on the cruddy side.  Good luck and enjoy.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 02:34:08 AM »
Congratulations!

As you said, clean the barrel. Then take the barrel off and degrease the latch and shelf. Add a couple "O" rings to the barrel stud. Before you mount the base, degrease those threaded holes too. Attach with good lock tote and make sure they are tite! Allow a good 24-48 hours for the lock tite to set.
Use a good ring like a Burris ZEE or Warne. ( no lock tite on the rings)

The Bushnell Trophy may not be a good choice. Although I abmit I have not seen this model. Past Trophys has very large oversized controls.  These required the scope to be mounted excessively high ruining ergonomics. You should be able to mount that Nikon in lo rings and that is best. But med is OK.  Personally I like Leupold scopes and mount them in lo rings for good cheek weld and proper ergonomics.

Then go shoot it !

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 03:01:59 AM »
I agree with what CW said about the scope rings on the Bushnell, and I have that scope and had to use the high rings in order for the hammer spur to clear the scope.
That said, a high mounted scope works fine for me, but if you prefer a low mounted scope, the Nikon might be a better choice, and I have one of those also and I love it.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline jeremybeaner

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 03:53:39 AM »
ok kewl thanks for the advise. im 6'2 and i know i really dont like having to turn my head sideways to look down the scope so alot of times i stray away from low mounted scopes so that might be an advantage being mounted high. Would i have to put a different rail on or anything? or just higher rings?

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 05:52:41 AM »
I've always used a standard Weaver base and then buy my choice of med. or tall Weaver style rings.

I hear ya about having to crook the neck, and why I can't use the lead sled at my local range!   Just can't get into my natural shooting form using that thing since it won't adjust to my height.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 05:53:21 AM »
There is a base made for the sidekick/huntsman that is taller.  (see FAQs) but generally taller rings get you all the height you need.

If you want high I would recommend dead nuts scope mounting setup.  It's a quality mount, but many don't like it simply because it's tall.
http://www.dnzproducts.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_5

A shooters height has no bearing on scope height. It's about proper body position and good cheek weld with out that it's not easy to shoot well. Just 15 minutes with a Army RO will "learn you good" about proper body positioning! LOL

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 06:07:38 AM »
You are right about the height maybe not being a factor, but it could.

My brother and I are the same height, but I used to tease him about having a head shaped like a basketball and I guess mine was more of a horseface so I feel totally uncomfortable shooting his rifle and he has a hard time adjusting to mine.   Same with the anchor point and peep sight on the bows. ;D

I guess what it boils down to is everyone is different and why they have different ring heights!

Offline jeremybeaner

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 06:32:03 AM »
Well generally, i dont have a problem adjusting to rifle setups, UNLESS its a low mounted scope that i have to bend my head sideways to look through, its not a problem 90% of the time, but i know one instance where my cousin had a 10/22 with an archangel stock that looked like an AR. I dont know if anyone has shot one of these but they are fun open sights, with a scope i found my head completely sideways laying on the adjustable stock just to look down the scope, this was very uncomfortable and hard to get your sight picture up quickly, im not saying that a whole inch is the answer but just something a little higher than the norm i feel leaves me in a more (universal) position that i can quickley get on target. I understand where your coming from. and i do realize that height doesnt neccesarily play a part in scope position, but body type does and usally if your a tall guy, you might like Jimbo says have larger characteristics like a round or long face. this is where that 1/4-1/2 inch difference plays a part also taller guys generally have a longer wing span meaning if the rifle doesnt have a larger LOP its hard to scruntch everything into your shooting triangle and still manage to scrunch your neck to lay your face on the stock, in most cases i lay my cheek on the side of the stock and slightly tilt so really how tall the scope goes doesnt really hurt my shooting. Only when the scope is too short is there problems