Author Topic: Now I have done it--I bought an AR Lower Receiver and Parts Kit  (Read 932 times)

Offline Bart Solo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Now I have done it--I bought an AR Lower Receiver and Parts Kit
« on: December 21, 2011, 12:40:57 PM »
In my never ending effort to avoid eating after dinner, I have taken on a new "project."  I just bought a stripped lower receiver and a lower receiver parts kit.  I guess over the next few months I am going to be assembling a black rifle.   I guess I now have to decide just what kind of rifle I am going to be assembling--A1, A2, A3 etc, and just what type and length of barrel I want.  I am going to need everybody's help.

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Now I have done it--I bought an AR Lower Receiver and Parts Kit
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 04:04:20 AM »
These have been posted here before, but they may help you along on this build.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/GunTechdetail/How-to-Build-An-AR-15-Video
Good Luck
Molon labe

Offline tcencore3006

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 04:29:04 AM »
Check this link out.  It is very helpful for a first timer.   http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/226782_.html
Newest toy? Smith & Wesson 4006

Offline Bart Solo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 11:06:32 AM »
I have been watching the Brownells videos religiously.  My problem is I knew absolutely nothing about black rifles until just the other day.  I don't know much more today but I have discovered that AR rifles are totally modular and there are about a million options.   You can make assembly as simple as putting a lower and upper together or as complicated as buying each part separately.  Everything seems to be mix and match as long as you stick to mil spec. 
I am thinking about building a varmint rifle with a 16 inch bull barrel. The great thing about Brownells is they have a 13 page parts checklist that guides you through the process and includes a list of all the tools you will need to do the assembly. 
I will check out the AR15.com forums.  Thanks.

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 04:23:21 PM »
I am a firm believer in using only USA made Mil-spec parts. That is the route I went.
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 01:31:32 AM »
There's not much to them.  If you have any skill at all in assembling things, you can assemble an AR15.  Just look up the videos and the web sights that show the instructions.  You don't even need any special tools or holding fixtures just to assemble one rifle, although they are nice to have around.
AR's are like TinkerToys for grown men!

Offline Bart Solo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 04:03:54 AM »
There's not much to them.  If you have any skill at all in assembling things, you can assemble an AR15.  Just look up the videos and the web sights that show the instructions.  You don't even need any special tools or holding fixtures just to assemble one rifle, although they are nice to have around.
AR's are like TinkerToys for grown men!

That is the impression I have as well after watching the videos, but I will find out.  I used to assemble desk top computers for recreation, then one day I decided to go laptop.  I haven't built a computer since, but I have lots of small tools and know a lot about how computers work.  I have just ordered the holding fixtures and some of the small tools.  I need to cut a block of wood to use when I am installing the pins on the trigger guard.  Potterfield sacrificed a lower receiver to demonstrate why you need a properly sized block of plastic when you use the hammer.

I decided to build a black rifle after I discovered they aren't just toys for little boys or tools for LEO's and the military.  You can actually set one up to fill the varment hunting role, which is what I am going to be building.  Right now I have a big hole between my 22 lr and my 6MM Remington in my battery. 

By the way, people used to tell me that you saved big bucks assembling your own computer, but that turned out to be horse hocky.  You built your own computer for features you couldn't easily buy and to teach yourself computer repair if anything ever failed.  My quality was better than HP because I used better parts.  The same seems to be the case when dealing with black rifles. 

Offline tcencore3006

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 04:59:13 AM »

By the way, people used to tell me that you saved big bucks assembling your own computer, but that turned out to be horse hocky.  You built your own computer for features you couldn't easily buy and to teach yourself computer repair if anything ever failed.  My quality was better than HP because I used better parts.  The same seems to be the case when dealing with black rifles. 

I have sold a couple that I have made and gotten $200 pure profit on both of them.  You can build them cheap and then if you run into a place where you need money someone will always buy them.  They get a deal and you make money :)

Offline Bart Solo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 06:31:13 PM »
Well, I have just ordered the rest of my parts.  A DPMS Lo Pro (slick top) upper assembly with a 16 inch bull barrel,  a tactical badger gen 2 latch for my charging handle, a standard A2 style stock and a Geissele 2 stage trigger.  I also have mounts coming as well as well as one of the very last Leupold vx-1 scopes on the market. (I think Leupold is phasing out the vx-1 and vx-2 lines to make room for its Redfield line.)  I hope this thing is the low cost tack driver everybody says it should be.  It is going to be set up as a varmint hunter.     

Offline Bart Solo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 04:15:22 AM »
I finished assembling the rifle yesterday afternoon, too late to take it to the range. It has passed all the tests short of those that have to be conducted at the range.  It looks good, and the Geissele trigger is a slick as any on any gun I own and my cowboy guns have all been  professionally tuned. Nice trigger.   I put a Leupold 3-9X40 MM scope on it. It should do well shooting prairie dogs this summer.  I hope to be able to take it to the range later this week.  Now I have to start the tedious DPMS barrel break in procedure.   

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 05:08:39 AM »
Sounds like one heck of a nice gun!  Congrats!
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline tcencore3006

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 10:12:41 AM »
Got any pictures for us?

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 07:39:24 AM »
Don't overlook Doublestar they make some awesome parts for the AR and offer almost any option you may want.  I built several of their lowers and used their uppers on several rifles, they appear to be very high quality.  One of the best shooters I own is built using a Doublestar bull barrel upper with a 1 in 9 twist.  It is a tack driver at 100-200 yards shooting my reloads.

I agree with the comment on buying using Milspec parts. I have bought some non-milspec lowers that would not accept Bushmaster lower parts kits.

Offline Bart Solo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 10:22:46 AM »
Got any pictures for us?
It is pretty plain vanilla on the outside, but I have installed a Leupold scope, a Burris quick release mount and a nice Guissele Automatics trigger group.  I can't wait to test it.   

My plan is to add a sling swivel to the front of the handguard and maybe a bi-pod.  I will use it this summer shooting prairie dogs in Wyoming. 

I made a choice between a Bushmaster Predator upper and the trigger upgrade.  I chose to upgrade the trigger.  Later in the year, after I have had a chance to shoot the DPMS Lo-Pro upper some I will probably buy the Bushmaster upper.  It is simple enough to swap the scope. 

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 01:14:16 PM »

Welcome to the addiction known as AR building...This may have been your first, but it will not be your last.  That is one sweet trigger setup that you purchased...I am giving the Spikes Battle Trigger a try on my 6.8.  I might go for a Geissele on my 5.56 piston gun.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Bart Solo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 02:40:08 PM »
I snuck away to the range late this afternoon.  Nobody there but a bunch of other old guys shooting their black rifles.  My goal was function testing and to begin learning my new rifle. the later is very important.  Until a few weeks ago I had never even held an AR.  Like a lot of other turnbolt and lever gun guys, I looked down my nose at ARs.  My only previous centerfire semi-auto was a mini-14.  That thing couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and gave me what I thought was ample reason to question the peaceful usefulness of all semi-auto rifles.   

I sent 20 rounds down range.  The rifle functioned flawlessly and passed all of the function tests.  I found paper with the first shot and was able to sight it in at 25 meters.  I shot a series of 3 shot groups and was pleased with the results.  I shot the inexpensive Remington 55 grain jhp bullets.  I cleaned the rifle when I got home.

This weekend I will move the target out to 100 meters and sight it in 1.4 inches high.  That should give me zero at about 200 meters. 

Nobody I know has the patience to "break in" a barrel the way DPMS wants. I don't think I could clean the barrel after every shot without pissing off the range officers.  I am just going to shoot it slowly as to not build up much heat, and will clean the barrel carefully after each trip to the range.  I will limit my rounds per session to a box or so.  I think the rifle is going to be more accurate than me anyway.  I haven't had any trouble creating jagged hole groups with it at 25 meters, even though my rest was less than perfect. 

I think a bi-pod is in this rifle's immediate future. 

Boy, the two stage Geissele trigger is nice for precision work. 

WNY_Whitetailer, you are right, this is addictive.     

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 04:07:55 PM »

I feel for you.  Glad you picked a configuration and are shooting it.
I just picked up a stripped reciever too.
So far I have drawn out 12 different rifles from target to tactical.  And in different calibers.  Either 5.7X28, 223, 6X45, 300black out, or 9mm
I have one step up on you in that I own an A2 target Armalite that is a lot of fun to shoot from plinking to formal target to 3 gun.
The cool thing about the AR platform is if you don't like what you have a few minutes with either a bunch or a wrench and you are shooting a whole new rifle or caliber.   From 22LR to 50AE and almost everything inbetween.  I tanke that back there was a 50BMG AR single shot upper for a while.

Offline Bart Solo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 04:33:51 AM »
I took the rifle to the range again yesterday.  In keeping with my efforts to break it in slowly I only fired 20 rounds, this time at 50 meters.  It functioned flawlessly again.  I can see that it has real accuracy potential.   It is pretty clear to me that I have installed the wrong scope.  I need something far more powerful than the 3-9X40 I have on the rifle. I also need a spotter scope.  Those itty bitty holes are hard to see with a pair of 8 power binoculars.  I have to shoot two or three times to make the hole big enough for me to see easily.  ;)  Seriously, I am going to have to upscope the rifle to enjoy its full potential. 

I especially enjoy the easy cleaning.  The rifle is simple to take apart making routine maintenence a breeze. 

Next I am going to move the target out to 100 meters.   I will then have to find a 200 yard range someplace.  I have a little time, I figure it will take a couple of hundred rounds down range before I begin to see its full potential. At that point I will start using better ammunition.  In the meantime I am going to continue to take my time at the range and get a good solid feel for the rifle and how it functions.       

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 05:07:00 AM »
My friend and I have built over 20 AR15's together.  So far our favorite configuartion is a 14.5" carbine, utilizing a mid length gas system, Battle Comp, Daniel Defense 2pc bolt on quad rail, low profile gas block, pop up BUIS, and MagPul furnature w/ an upgraded trigger.

We mostly use BCM parts, and lately have been buying lowers from Palmetto State Armory for 50.00. 

While not the most accurate of configurations they tend to be the most reliable.  His favorite 14.5 middy has over 1500 rounds through it and we haven't really given it a "proper cleaning" yet. 
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline Bart Solo

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 01:35:58 PM »
I took the AR to the range again today.  I put 30 rounds down range including 10 at 100 yards.  I had zeroed it at 50, so I shot three shots at 100 and found it to be about 2 1/2 inches high.  I lowered it about 10 clicks and it was dead on.  I know I am going to have to move it back up at 100 yards to be zeroed at 200 and that zeroing it at 50 yards means it is also zero at 300, but I am still trying learn the rifle. 

The AR is a revelation.  I owned a Ruger mini-14 some years ago.  It was so inaccurate I let my first wife have it in the divorce.  The AR on the other hand is a tack driver.  I can shoot MOA anytime I hold the rifle properly, and I am using the cheapest upper on the market and the cheapest Federal FMJ I can find at Wally World.   I can only imagine what better equipment and ammo might do.

I was shooting next to a young guy who uses his deer hunting.  He was proud of his trophy bucks.  He pulled pictures of them up on his phone for me to see.  He said that he uses 60 grain bullets, and he only shoots when he as a good shot.  I know other young guys who are doing the same thing.  Many of the people I know who use them for deer hunting, like the guy I was shooting with this afternoon and my FFL,  are recent veterans of Iraq or Afganistan.  They seem to be really used to the AR platform and have a lot more confidence in it than I do.  Anyway, this rifle is a real tack driver.  I hardly expected this kind of accuracy in a semi-auto.