Author Topic: 44 magnum pistol vs rifle data...  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Jasper243

• Trade Count: (0)
44 magnum pistol vs rifle data...
« on: December 22, 2011, 03:08:59 AM »
I am trying to find a good, light plinking load for my young son to use in his 44 mag handi...I noticed a cast bullet load with 6 grains of Red Dot, but it was fired from a 6" pistol barrel.  There wasn't any data like this for 44 mag rifle loads.  Are pistol strength loads safe/acceptable in a rifle, or is there a pressure issue that may arise?  I am relatively new to pistol reloading, but have loaded rifle and shotgun for 30 years.

Any info or suggested light loads for him to use would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Happy Holidays! :D

Jasper243

Offline tom548

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (51)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 44 magnum pistol vs rifle data...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 04:01:59 AM »
The Speer manual has loads for Hand gun and rifle. They don't show Blue dot for rifle, only in the pistol section. You should be able to use that load as it is shown as a max load in my book.  I would start 1/2 to 1 grain lower and  check for pressure signs. The Speer book with a 200 grain bullet starts at 6.0  and max is 6.5 of Red dot. Not much working room.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 04:23:45 AM »
I like a bulky powder for light lead bullet loads. IMR has a little used SR line, PB and the newer TrailBoss.

Check your manuels and you will find data for all.  You could also load up 44 specials too. Nice cause you don't need the mags larger powder cap for light loads.

Good luck,
CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 07:06:27 AM »
several years ago (18ish years) I bought my first .44 Magnum handgun.  Like most who first get a .44 Mag I wanted to explore the heavier loads and just see what this caliber was capable of.  Well after some 325 grain maximum loads actually cracked one of the small bones in the back of my hand I began searching for the lightest loads I could find.

Win 571 ball powder was used in one load (I cannot find the load now and do not know if it is still published or even recommended)  I remember this had zero recoil with 180 grain cast bullets.  Other loads I used were:

Win 231 7.0 grains with 240 grain Speer swaged with magnum primer (this is a "squib" load load one or two and make sure they clear the rifle barrel)

unique 9.0 grains with 240 grain cast SWC

The current (Dec 2011) issue of "Handloader" lists a 250 grain bullet (undefined) over 9.0 grains of Unique for a velocity of 1,100 fps from a handgun.

From a Speer manual (rifle section)  8.8 grains of H. Universal pushes a jacket 240 grain JSP to 1,118 fps

Any of these would be low recoil, look for loads that are near the starting load level and project velocities to be between 950 and 1,200 fps with 180 to 250 grain bullets.

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Jasper243

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 01:09:01 PM »
Thank-you very much for taking time to respond, everyone.  Much appreciated.

Straight Shots,

Jasper243

Offline BAGTIC

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 04:33:08 PM »
Out of the Handi-Rifle  6 grains of Red Dot behind a 240 grain lead bullet  should give about 1,000 -1,100 fps at very  low 18-20 thousand psi. It should be a very quite load also.  Energy would be just about like a factory 44-40 rifle load but penetration should be a little better. I think it would be a good load to start off a young boy. A well placed shot should suffice for most deer at close range.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 07:35:56 PM »
I made up some loads with 5 grains of W231 behind a .433" cast round ball.  My air rifles make more noise than this.  I'm thinking of loading up some more for my 9 year old twins grandsons to shoot.  I'll have to see how they do holding up the rifle first....

Tony

Offline gramps1

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 06:18:43 AM »
Geezerbike,  Where did you get the .433 balls and how accurate were they?  Gramps1
NRA Life Member

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 06:31:11 AM »
Geezerbike,  Where did you get the .433 balls and how accurate were they?  Gramps1

Hornady makes em, TOTW has em.

Tim

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/tablelist.aspx?catid=2&subid=25&styleid=58&partnum=ball-520&PageSize=25&Page=2
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline BAGTIC

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 09:29:51 AM »
Lee makes  molds.  Several years ago I suggested that they offer them for just such purpose and not long afterwards they did. They also are good 'heavy load' slingshot balls.