Author Topic: Finished Lee-menting my mold for the '51 & '61 Navys  (Read 1062 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Finished Lee-menting my mold for the '51 & '61 Navys
« on: December 22, 2011, 11:45:53 AM »
It now drops nice .380 balls.  With those and the set of Tresco nipples I put in, the problems I encountered with the '51 on her first outing should be gone!   :D

Now I can get back to load development and then make a bunch of cart-a-jez's!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline StrawHat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Finished Lee-menting my mold for the '51 & '61 Navys
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 01:51:25 AM »
Glad to hear the mold is dropping better bullets for you.  Lee makes a good product, for the price.  Similar to the Italian replica revolvers, a good base that might work but witha little TLC you can turn it into a nice product.

I have not seen the other thread, are you making paper cartridges for your revolvers?
"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice."  anonymous

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 05:49:57 AM »
I have not seen the other thread, are you making paper cartridges for your revolvers?

Sorry it took so long to get back to you SH.   :-[   'tis the season to be busy don't cha know!   ;D

Try here:  http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,200289.0.html
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline StrawHat

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 01:23:53 AM »
Interesting thread.  I still use a flask and round ball but the thought of making a couple of packets to include in the cased sets is interesting.  Somewhere I have a graphic for the original labels, not sure where. 

One thing mentioned in the paper cartridge thread was you found info on the Cavalry carrying spare cylinder.  Can you cite that info?  I have looked for years and not found any documented information regarding the use of spare cylinders by civilians or Military.  Personally, I would carry an extra revolver as to swap out a cylinder and cap it would take up more time than I would care to use during an altercation.
"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 07:18:59 AM »
Interesting thread.

I went back and read it and I'll have to agree with you.  Three pages of posts!   :o  A lot of good stuff there.

One thing mentioned in the paper cartridge thread was you found info on the Cavalry carrying spare cylinder.  Can you cite that info?

Ya know, that caught my attention also...  :-\  I don't know where I got that from but I don't believe it was a common practice.  I'm sure some did carry spare cylinders as I remember pictures of CW era cylinder pouches.  It just seems to me that the Colt type revolver would be a pain to swap cylinders in while mounted.  The Remington type would be easier though.

What I do believe is that the principle weapon of the Cavalry was the saber.  Pistol charges caused problems... 'course I'm talking VA here, I think it was somewhat different in the Western Theater.
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline StrawHat

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 12:12:01 AM »
I don't believe I have ever seen an authenticated cylinder pouch, but that means little.  Fumbling with a cylinder is always going to be slower then drawing a second loaded handgun.

I've got to agree with the sabre being the weapon of choice for the Cavalry.  (Once the war ended though, the Cavalry was used more as Mounted Infantry and the weapon of choice became the rifle, ultimately, the Trapdoor Springfield.)

At some point linen cartridges were also offered but I believe they were intended to be used in long arms.  Long ago, I made up paper cartridges to use in a Burnside carbine I hunted with.  They worked great with the musket caps.