Author Topic: "Everyone should own a .45-70."  (Read 1357 times)

Offline gjgalligan

• Trade Count: (0)
"Everyone should own a .45-70."
« on: December 22, 2011, 12:48:40 PM »
I have seen this several times on this forum.
I have wondered why you folks think this. What is so special about a 45-70?

Please keep the comments to the logical side.

Thanks!

Offline slngblde

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
  • 3 miles north of Joe s
Re: "Everyone should own a .45-70."
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 01:11:53 PM »
IT can kill anything on this continent quite handily(no pun intended). Plus the history of the cartridge. I first got one because i got a deal i could not refuse on the gun.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 01:12:20 PM »
I have 3 and they are all great shooters
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 01:13:01 PM »
It's so hard to find an inaccurate load for the .45-70, it may not even be possible.  The cartridge has a ton of history behind it, and like most US Military calibers it's just awesome.  It will kill anything when hot and can be loaded down to be easy on the shoulder if you like.  Slinging Buick sized chunks of lead down range makes me smile. ;D   I have 3 of them.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline ihookem

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 01:20:24 PM »
It is hard to beat a 45-70 for Wisconsin. A big hole for bears and whitetails die at the  sight of one, ( I'll try to keep it logical)  if you can find a whitetail.  It is not a long range but doesn't have to be in Wisconsin. I was very happy with the accuracy with a 1x4 huge reticle cross hair scope at 50 yds. I only shot 2 @ 100 yds and was already 6" low but only 1" apart. Only bad part bullets are expensive.

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 01:28:27 PM »
I have been considering one and was always set back because of what some have preached about the recoil. I reload for every caliber i shoot so would be able to load it down. That said i have a 20 guage ultra slug and also love shooting that big piece of lead down range and the recoil from that doesnt bother me. How would that compare to the 45-70?

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 01:41:59 PM »
First off I'd say it has a long history and pretty good staying power for such an old cartridge.

It's slightly tappered straight wall case makes it easy to reload, and it just looks cool when loaded.
Accurate with most any weight bullet or powder combination you come up with and it is rimmed so that is a plus in a Handi rifle, and you can load it as heavy as you can stand the recoil, and it will reach way out there with a massive chunk of lead, and whatever it hits it is hit and stays hit.

You can load it up with almost a full case of trail boss powder and that same big chunk of lead can scream along at a blistering 1000+ ft. per. sec. and the audible pop as it hits the target will seem to be loader than the report from the muzzle, and the recoil feels like a gentle shove!

Basically it is a blast to load and shoot!

Besides all that, you aren't a true Handiholic unless you own one!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 01:47:22 PM »

Basically it is a blast to load and shoot!

Besides all that, you aren't a true Handiholic unless you own one!

+1.....2 or 3!!  ;D I just bought my seventh H&R 45-70, an 18¾" barreled Talo Trapper. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline TopperT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
  • Guard Dog
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 02:20:29 PM »
If you like 'old' and want to shoot Black Powder cartridge like I do, then it is said the 45-70 is the best place to begin.  They are easy to load, almost fool proof to perfect and are a ton (no pun here) of fun.  In the older cast receiver Shikari I use the original military carbine load of 55 grns of FF with a 405 grn bullet for a 45-55-405.  Smooth and very accurate.  Very accurate to 100.
As has been said, it also packs a wallop :o ::) :o  (sending and receiving ::) ).  Not too much would stand up to one.  In the Buffalo Rifle you can cram in 60+grns of FF and top it off with a massive cast lead postell of some 535 grns and launch. ;D   
You can even take a sip of coffee before the round hits as this is the rainbow of rainbow shooters.....but when it does reach its destination.....OH MY!!!!

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 02:31:24 PM »
quote from tim....

+1.....2 or 3!!  ;D I just bought my seventh H&R 45-70, an 18¾" barreled Talo Trapper. ;)

Tim.

i feela octagon job come'n soon.......... ;)

sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 02:55:20 PM »
It has one of the widest ranges of any cartridges, from round ball loads to huge 535 gr express bullets, it is very easy to load for, and the nostalgia factor is sizeable as well. If you cast, which is neither expensive or difficult, the ammo is not expensive either. in the 15-18 cents per round range, cheaper than 17 HMR rimfire rounds. In extreme cases, it could even be reloaded without any reloading equipment, just common tools. That has a lot going for it.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline Rotten RJ

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
  • Avid Poster
  • "Initial success or total failure."
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 03:23:23 PM »
Just had to have a 45-70 Handi to keep the Malin Guide Gun, Winchester 1886 and 74' Sharps company. ;) ;D
RJ
US Army (ret) EOD Master Blaster

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 03:48:14 PM »
I think much of the allure is the guns that chamber it.

I wanted a classic lever action, I wanted more than what the 30-30 offered. Marlin has a great answer in the 1895. I shot it a few times and realized it was fun. I like the boom ---- thwack you hear. It flat gets the job done on game animals.

Most of the posters here are old timey codgers. They have delusions of 1890 in their heads. They like pouring their own bullets and filling their own cartridges. Self sustaining I suppose you could call it. The 45-70 lends itself to that real well. The brass lasts a good long time. You can even fill it with black powder if you want.

Everyone brags about the ability to drop tyrannosaurus rex in his tracks. I'm gonna guess about 4% of those shooting the old round have seen anything larger than a deer in the woods. But, if ol' T-Rex shows up, hey I got that covered too.

As far as I'm concerned it doesn't kick too bad either. Reminds me of a 20ga shotgun. A good solid push not a sharp punch like a 300 mag. The numbers don't tell you that they say it is just as bad, numbers can lie.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 04:12:26 PM »
Everyone brags about the ability to drop tyrannosaurus rex in his tracks. I'm gonna guess about 4% of those shooting the old round have seen anything larger than a deer in the woods. But, if ol' T-Rex shows up, hey I got that covered too.

I'm one of those old codgers you speak of, and ole T-Rex comes in the form of a wild feral hog in my part of the country.

Tain't no match fer my 45-70!......Nope, ole T-Rex ain't got a chance!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline JB White

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 04:52:10 PM »
I have been considering one and was always set back because of what some have preached about the recoil. I reload for every caliber i shoot so would be able to load it down. That said i have a 20 guage ultra slug and also love shooting that big piece of lead down range and the recoil from that doesnt bother me. How would that compare to the 45-70?
If you enjoy shooting shotgun slugs, the 45-70 won't be a problem for you. Not until you start getting into the hot jacketed handloads will you start to see a sharper recoil. What you will notice is much improved accuarcy over slugs and just as much fun.
 You can load down to a roundball atop 50 gr. of black powder all the way up to cheek-bruisin'-shove-ya-back smokeless loads. It's a good working cartridge and a lot of fun to play with.

Offline BKS

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 07:29:19 PM »
 The 45-70 is the first cartridge I have reloaded for and it is super easy. ALL the ones I have had have been super accurate. I had a bad experience with a light(for caliber) bullet on a deer and wont go that way again.

You can load it from mild to wild.

The next rifle I buy will be another 45-70, I would sell most all of the others I have to get more of them.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 09:19:30 PM »
The age of the design, the history, and the fact that it still ranks high enough in sales to still be factory loaded by ammunition manufacturers 138 years (give or take a couple years) after it's adoption for military use should be all the information needed to answer your question.

Flexible, accurate, capable.  It has taken game from small squirrels, and rabbits, to large bear, and African Plains game.  Yup the 45-70's even stout enough for Africa.  Since it can be loaded to equal the .458 Winchester, in a strong gun, this should not surprise anyone.  During military tests in the 1870's the 45-70 loaded with a 500 grain bullet and 70 grains of black powder fired accurately over 1 mile into pine boards for penetration tests.  Today it is a top competetor in 1,000 yard BPCR competitions. Hunting ranges should be kept closer to 100 or 150 yards due to the high trajectory.  A really hot load runs 2,100 fps, and warm ones clock 1,400 to 1,800, and soft loads run 900 fps to 1,300 fps. 

So why shouldn't everyone own a 45-70?  What more could you want?

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline KIMBER45

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 10:57:35 PM »
My Avatar shows the power. This happened to the tree after the bullet pass through a deer. I was using 405 gr. bullet at 1600fps. Totally awesome caliber.
"In the final analysis, it is between you and God.  It was never between you and them anyway."__Mother Theresa
-----------------
Not everyone will understand your journey. That"s fine. It's not their journey to make sense of. It's yours.
--------------------------------
Hawkeye: My father warned me about you...
Chingachgook, he warned me about people like you. He said "Do not try to understand them".
 "do not try to make them understand you. That is because they are a breed apart and make no sense".
-------

-------

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 11:15:57 PM »
What more can we say?
Its a great shooter.
Its versatile. Thru reloading allows its owner to shot anything huntable the world over.
Its got some serious History.
Again thru reloading can go form light "learning" loads to elephant loadings.
About everyone who buys one loves it!
I also have a number of them!! Mine are in both single shots and Levers. I don't know how logical it it but the simply work!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 11:43:34 PM »
yep, mines kilt justa bout ever thing that its been pointed at...
even a 350 chevy motor when i caught a fella steel'n one my calves
years ago. he bailed outta tha truck an ran fer his life into tha swamp !!! he-he...
then he got lost he-he... theni put clyde on'um... my track'n hound ;D

clyde had'um treed for tha law-man when he got there ;)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2011, 12:06:08 AM »
I did not want one. My son saw a used one (his first Handi) and just had to have it... It shot so good I then got one. They can be loaded to please any shooter. The trajectory is just the trick and you need to learn the bullet path and you will be quite pleased.  thejanitor

Offline silver surfer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2011, 02:01:49 AM »
My first Handi-rifle is a 45-70 Buffalo Classic.  Notice the present tense "is"  ;) .  I'd be beating a dead horse to chime on about the already mentioned attributes of the 45-70, however they are all true.  One thing that may not have been brought up is the 32" barrel and the long sight picture the iron sights have.  It just works!  Even if your a mediocre shot with iron sights this set up improves marksmanship. 
All the way around you just get a helluvalotof rifle for the money.  If I were limited to one rifle for the rest of my life (and between competitive and 23 years military shooting I've shot thousands) this is my cut and dried choice.  The gun works, the caliber works, the sights work, the whole package is reliable as sunrise.
"Blamin a gun for shootin people is like blamin your pencil for misspellin a word!"
  Larry the Cable Guy

Offline wan2bokie2

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2011, 03:41:29 AM »
Everything said is true so far, but there is one more attribute that has not been mentioned yet. In snake country,where I live, I load a .410 shot shell. They work great especially with the newer plastic wads. Close range vermin beware.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2011, 04:11:00 AM »
When I first found this forum a 45-70 was the furthest from my mind since I did a lot of long range shooting (better eyesight) in my younger days, but then realized I hadn't shot an animal over about 130 yards in years.
I also read all the hoopla regarding the 45-70 and it caught my interest as did this little Handi Rifle and I caved and bought my first one.   
I soon realized that with the price of the ammo and the limited selection I decided to take up reloading with this being later in my life, and it opened up a whole new area for me, and I can assure you this is where the 45-70 really shines.
My favorite hunting load is a mild on the recoil, 400 grain Speer jacketed soft point, using a trapdoor loading of around 1400 ft. per sec. velocity, which I can zero at 100 yards or 2 1/2" hight at 50, and it will shoot flat out from 0 to 130 yards and I then aim pretty much dead center close in to just a tad high of dead center a little further out, which for my style of hunting is right where I like it.   Beyond that 130 yards, I would have to drastically take into consideration the arch, and the fact the bullet would pretty much drop like a rock, but I know my limitations with my reloads.

It's a great round, and loaded to suit yourself it is a dream to shoot!

Offline ratdog

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2011, 05:13:35 AM »
been shooting them since i was 15 i have 4. i will always have one easy to reload the way you want.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2011, 06:00:41 AM »
Point one at a Moose's shoulder, before the BOOM goes away, the Moose is on the ground.  They don't get up either.  It's a good choice for Grizzlies as well.  Plus it is just fun to shoot.  Had a 45-70 barrel added to my son's Handi when he was 14.  He liked it better than the 243.  His first Black Bear went down with just one shot, at 45 yards.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline siamese4570

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2011, 07:27:45 AM »
If you're asking this question, it means that you've never messed with a 4570.  It's just fun, especially if you reload.  Got my first 4570 when i was just out of college.  Had a siamese mauser rebarrelled.  It's semi retired now since i got my handi.  You can load it up or down, whatever your shoulder can take.  Currently using the 330 gr gould hp at about 1300 fps.  This load will do 1 1/2" groups on a good day and it doesn't loosen your fillings.  What's not to like!
Siamese 4570

Offline Zeak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2011, 09:17:26 AM »
I have a 450 Marlin, so it's a 45-70 with a belt. Killed 1 deer with it but haven't used it that much. I'm in more open county here in NE, so our shots range from about 100 to 400yds. Most tend to use the flatter shooting cal. like 270,30-06 and 7mm-wm. and 308. Zeak

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2011, 07:03:56 AM »
It is cool.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2011, 07:09:11 AM »
If you have to ask the question you are not ready for one yet....<><.... ;)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley